RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Ihavetobelieve33
The pain is never-ending.

I am currently:
I Don't Fit Into a Category

The diagnostic criteria for ED's is online and so I was looking at it to see how I would have to be to get the help I need. I'd have to lose x pounds for my height for my bmi to be low enough to be anorexic. This makes me really mad because I have worked for years at dancing and building strength and the way my body is, I built my muscle relatively easily and quickly, so I have a good amount of muscle for someone my age. Muscle as everyone knows weighs more than fat. I weigh more because of muscle which is why everyone is always shocked at my weight because it seems way higher than I would appear to weigh. I have lost x pounds. I have been told I have an ED. I restrict and I exercise compulsively. I chew food and I spit it out at times. Yet, for me personally to be able to get the correct diagnoses.. I'd have to lose all my muscle and God only knows what else.. like I'd be losing a big fraction of my body weight. The diagnostic criteria, in my opinion, needs to be changed. Especially because a lot of people don't take EDNOS seriously when they should. At this point, I'd be diagnosed with EDNOS. But I don't want that because:
1. That's not what I have!
2. My family would make fun of me because they wouldn't think it's a 'real' ED
3. I don't think I would get the correct treatment under that diagnoses.

I'm not trying to rant and complain.. I am just scared and annoyed that the criteria was written in such a way. What am I supposed to do? One doctor told me I have an ED. Another told me I have ED symptoms but not a full blown ED because I don't fit in the criteria. To get the treatment I'd need I'd be willing to make myself fit into the criteria but I can't. That would take months. Plus that'd be silly getting sicker to fit into a certain category.

Does anyone have any suggestions or guidance or thoughts/feelings they'd like to share about any experiences with any ED diagnoses or anything related at all? I'd appreciate it greatly.

Ihavetobelieve33 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 20-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

EDNOS is just as real as any other ED.
A proper therapist will treat your symptoms not your diagnosis. If you find one who won't treat you because you have EDNOS not anorexia, then find one who is less retarded.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Stellata

Official diagnosis criteria suck! [Pun sort of intended...]

I just wanted to say that, as someone with recurrent eating difficulties, and rarely an 'anorexic' BMI to match [sadly, I'm naturally underweight anyway, and so it doesn't take much - which ED-head likes to revel in..] I meet EDNOS too, as I've never lost my periods.
But for me, and as Jenna describes, therapists treat the root of the trouble and support you in strategies to eat healthily again. A doctor should also look at your build, and make adjustments for that accordingly in assessing the severity of your illness in terms of dangerous physical effects.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
[SundayGirl]
_

I am currently:

Not everybody fits into specific criteria, we are not robots. Our problems are specific to us, they influence our life nobody elses. Dont attempt to try & lose weight to fit into the Anorexic category.. help is still a struggle to get.
& EDNOS is just as serious as any other ED it is just not in the media as often so people dont understand it. Professionals WILL know it is serious though.
Have you spoke to your GP? Who diagnosed you with an ED, they should be reffering you on to other help.
Also, if you google services in your area there may be none NHS services you could attend. I know in my area there is a support group run and anybody with an issue can go, from severely anorexic to severely obese with binging problems.

Yes i agree though, the criteria is rubbish.

I am not a freak..
I was born with my freedom.

[SundayGirl] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
snailonvalium
*~manda~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissa View Post
EDNOS is just as real as any other ED.
A proper therapist will treat your symptoms not your diagnosis. If you find one who won't treat you because you have EDNOS not anorexia, then find one who is less retarded.
This.

snailonvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
Imperfect.Star

I understand why you are annoyed but feel I should just point out that there is logic behind the diagnostic criteria. You may have anorexic tendencies but people with anorexic bmis DO lose muscle and other essential parts of the body. That is why it is such a critical physical health problem as well as a mental health one. Just because you have one side of the problems and less of the other doesn't mean you should receive less help but it is necessary to differentiate the diagnosis.

Always seem to get things just that little bit wrong.

"don't wish, don't start, wishing only wounds the heart"

Imperfect.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I was treat by an ED team one time when I had EDNOS. My bloods were really off at one point so it did risk my health.
EDNOS is a very real illness and I know that even ED inpatient unit will take thoes with sever EDNOS.

I was classed as EDNOS - binge purge type. So you could be EDNOS - restrictive type.
It is also possible to be diagnosed atypical anorexia with similar symptoms to your but from what you have said it does sound more like EDNOS.

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
Ihavetobelieve33

I am currently:

Thanks everyone. I hear you all. And to clarify just in case, I think EDNOS is just as serious as other EDs, but my family doesn't and none of my friends would (I think, I'm not positive really because I've not spoken to them about all the details).

And Imperfect.Star, I do agree with what you said that there are legit differences with the different ED's and their criteria because every one is different. I am just annoyed with some aspects of the criteria. Even my psych said the DSM criteria book thingy is very rigid and there are loads of people who could be missed because they do't perfectly fit. Which could be really bad... as we all know.

I am, as I said, really worried. I've looked at the different symptoms and such, and I would think it's anorexia but as I said I'm not underweight. I would weigh as much as I did when I was 10 probably to be underweight. For me, I could be still in a normal BMI range but be very, very ill. That's what I'm worried about...

I'm glad that you all pointed out that they treat the symptoms not just the diagnoses which is comforting! A lot of this is new to me. And it's freaking me out. :(

Old 21-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Stellata

*offers gentle hug*

How do you feel about talking about the behaviours you engage in and how they effect you?

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Ihavetobelieve33

I am currently:

Today, has proven to be really stressful an disappointing, so I don't know if I'll feel this way in a few days, but right now I do not feel comfy discussing it with my therapist anymore and I'm wishing I had never brought it up to her.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)