Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 06-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #21
charcoal feathers

I am currently:

I think everyone should have the right to die.
To the point it actually makes me really angry. I'm sure some of you have heard of Tony Nicklinson case and his fight to get the right to die. I know his family are continuing with this, and i seriously hope they can get the law to change.

My best friend is going to end up, both physically and mentally incapable and the thought that she will have to live and be nothing because of this law, kills me. This illness is not her fault, she should have the right to die, when the time comes and the illness starts to over take!

It's so easy to get lost in constantly having to present
whatever face you believe a person wants to see rather than your own

charcoal feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #22
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charcoal feathers View Post
I think everyone should have the right to die.
To the point it actually makes me really angry. I'm sure some of you have heard of Tony Nicklinson case and his fight to get the right to die. I know his family are continuing with this, and i seriously hope they can get the law to change.
Everyone already does. Just not necessarily in a medically controlled environment. Considering the NHS is financially stretched as it is, what treatments are going to lose out to fund euthanasia? Or would you make it an entirely private service and therefore exclude the poor from "dying with dignity"?

Even if he went to a Dignitas clinic, Tony Nicklinson wouldn't have been able to die, because he couldn't do it himself.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #23
charcoal feathers

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
Everyone already does. Just not necessarily in a medically controlled environment. Considering the NHS is financially stretched as it is, what treatments are going to lose out to fund euthanasia? Or would you make it an entirely private service and therefore exclude the poor from "dying with dignity"?

Even if he went to a Dignitas clinic, Tony Nicklinson wouldn't have been able to die, because he couldn't do it himself.
No, which is why the law needs to change. He could tell people he wanted to die, but instead of letting that happen, he'd planned to die a painful death of not eating or drinking! Thankfully it didn't come to that.

So you think it's fair for say someone with his condition, to carry on living a life like that? My friend for example has Huntingtons disease. Is it fair, that she will turn into nothing, that she will physically not be able to do anything for herself? That mentally she will not be there at all? That she wont be able to talk, or even eat. It's wrong. So wrong that they will do nothing. If they were animals, they'd put them down without batting an eye lid.

I don't think it should be private, no. Yes the NHS is stretched but i believe it's something that really should be in place. Obviously there needs to be a lot of laws in place for it to work. But there should be something, for people who end up in horrible horrible conditions where they can end it.

It's so easy to get lost in constantly having to present
whatever face you believe a person wants to see rather than your own

charcoal feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #24
snailonvalium
*~manda~*

This is what gets me about the euthanasia debate,the government and nhs already have a version of it up and running,yet when someone asks about making euthanasia legal they go on and on about how there's no way they will.
Liverpool care pathway.
Nhs use it more often than you think,mainly on older people with the families permission. So you have the choice to end your elderly relatives suffering using this pathway but if you didn't know about it and tries to go to court it would be classed as euthanasia and therefore you'd get turned down!

snailonvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #25
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
No, which is why the law needs to change. He could tell people he wanted to die, but instead of letting that happen, he'd planned to die a painful death of not eating or drinking! Thankfully it didn't come to that.

So you think it's fair for say someone with his condition, to carry on living a life like that? My friend for example has Huntingtons disease. Is it fair, that she will turn into nothing, that she will physically not be able to do anything for herself? That mentally she will not be there at all? That she wont be able to talk, or even eat. It's wrong. So wrong that they will do nothing. If they were animals, they'd put them down without batting an eye lid.

I don't think it should be private, no. Yes the NHS is stretched but i believe it's something that really should be in place. Obviously there needs to be a lot of laws in place for it to work. But there should be something, for people who end up in horrible horrible conditions where they can end it.
(My bold) Life isn't fair. It never has been and never will be, and to use such emotive language doesn't help matters. Is it fair that someone dies by the hand or poor actions of another? No. But it happens.

The problems with the 'strict conditions' that would surround this procedure, is that no one can ever agree upon what they should be.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #26
BridgesAndBalloons
A Thimblesworth of Milky Moon

Quote:
He could tell people he wanted to die, but instead of letting that happen, he'd planned to die a painful death of not eating or drinking! Thankfully it didn't come to that.
Actually he did resort to refusing any food or medication when he developed pneumonia, so it did come to that in a sense, although the pneumonia sped it up.

As said, life isn't fair, disease and suffering isn't fair, but it happens. I think cases like Tony Nicklinson's do serve to ensure the debate continues, as well as other people who've spoken about it, for example Terry Pratchett who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

BridgesAndBalloons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #27
Leni

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailonvalium View Post
This is what gets me about the euthanasia debate,the government and nhs already have a version of it up and running,yet when someone asks about making euthanasia legal they go on and on about how there's no way they will.
Liverpool care pathway.
Nhs use it more often than you think,mainly on older people with the families permission. So you have the choice to end your elderly relatives suffering using this pathway but if you didn't know about it and tries to go to court it would be classed as euthanasia and therefore you'd get turned down!
I'm not an expert on the LCP, but I thought it was more about accepting death and making the patient as comfortable as possible, as opposed to actively doing something to end the person's life. I am in favour of some form of a assisted suicide or euthansia in theory; I'm just not sure how it would work.

And the illusion of love is the only promise of defence, and even that will crumble.

Leni is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)