Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-08-2016, 12:51 AM   #1
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:
Sleep Deprivation

I don't know what to do.

I just vomited from being so tired. I'm hallucinating from sleep deprivation.

I feel sick. I'm sat in bed sobbing because I just can't sleep. I'm so exhausted.

I don't know what to do.

Sleeping pills don't work 9 times out of 10, the melatonin isn't helping. I have to wait til November til I see the sleep consultant again. My Dr said there was nothing else she could do or offer me.

What do I do? I've tried all the sleep hygiene, I'm barely drinking any caffeine - just the minimum I need to get through the day when I need to function.

I'm at the end of my rope.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 01:42 AM   #2
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

Are you able to sleep during the day?
That's the only thing that works for me - sleep whenever my body lets me independent of time of the day.

I know there's a physical component to it, but do you feel like there's additional issues like anticipating not being able to sleep and avoiding to attempt sleep as a consequence?
Just asking as when I did therapy it was pointed out to me that I do that. I wouldn't know though whether your sleep problem is similar to mine.

Overall, is it more helpful to do something you can fall asleep to or is lying in bed and having a quiet environment more beneficial?

I find I tend to be more able to go asleep with the TV on or just listening to audio books.

Do you manage to stick to sleep hygiene all the time?
Just from what I've heard it takes weeks of practicing it before it becomes fully effective.

Sleep deprivation can make you really unwell and more vulnerable.
I'm not sure what to suggest, but I can relate how much it can mess with every day life and the degree to which you can function.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 04:15 AM   #3
Isoverity

I am currently:

I can relate to this problem. I once had 2 years of sleeping problems. I would fall asleep at night and after 20 minutes wake up with a cascade of chemistry that seemed to come from neck area (I could feel sensations there as I woke). I could go several days with no real sleep. Turned out I had a thyroid problem caused by undiagnosed infection. My problem cleared after lots of antibiotics. Before then it was really hard to plan things and function normally. Luckily I was self employed and could set my own hours. Maybe your thyroid is being impacted in some way.

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #4
iliketea416

I am currently:

Oh darling, sleep deprivation is so debilitating. You mentioned that you have some sleeping pills, does that mean you've already talked your concerns through with you doctor? Do you think you could go again and explain that the prescribed medication really isn't working?

I'd second Princess of Monaco of Kent's wonderings about how consistent the sleep hygiene is? Could you maybe talk us through your routine? Also her thoughts about sleeping through the day. Is that possible at all?

Thinking of you.

iliketea416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 02:03 AM   #5
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Monaco of Kent View Post
Are you able to sleep during the day?
That's the only thing that works for me - sleep whenever my body lets me independent of time of the day.

I know there's a physical component to it, but do you feel like there's additional issues like anticipating not being able to sleep and avoiding to attempt sleep as a consequence?
Just asking as when I did therapy it was pointed out to me that I do that. I wouldn't know though whether your sleep problem is similar to mine.

Overall, is it more helpful to do something you can fall asleep to or is lying in bed and having a quiet environment more beneficial?

I find I tend to be more able to go asleep with the TV on or just listening to audio books.

Do you manage to stick to sleep hygiene all the time?
Just from what I've heard it takes weeks of practicing it before it becomes fully effective.

Sleep deprivation can make you really unwell and more vulnerable.
I'm not sure what to suggest, but I can relate how much it can mess with every day life and the degree to which you can function.
I take a nap in the day when I can. NOt everyday but I often manage an hour.

I odn't think it's psychological. I mean I go to bed expecting to sleep - I@m exhausted and my eyes are closing so I expect I will sleep. Then I'm awake all hours.

I tend to read before bed which helps me relax. I also bath at night and take my medication.

I've done sleep hygeine consistently for months - nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post
I can relate to this problem. I once had 2 years of sleeping problems. I would fall asleep at night and after 20 minutes wake up with a cascade of chemistry that seemed to come from neck area (I could feel sensations there as I woke). I could go several days with no real sleep. Turned out I had a thyroid problem caused by undiagnosed infection. My problem cleared after lots of antibiotics. Before then it was really hard to plan things and function normally. Luckily I was self employed and could set my own hours. Maybe your thyroid is being impacted in some way.
I have hypothyroidism but it's well controlled and my current levels are fine and have been for over a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketea416 View Post
Oh darling, sleep deprivation is so debilitating. You mentioned that you have some sleeping pills, does that mean you've already talked your concerns through with you doctor? Do you think you could go again and explain that the prescribed medication really isn't working?

I'd second Princess of Monaco of Kent's wonderings about how consistent the sleep hygiene is? Could you maybe talk us through your routine? Also her thoughts about sleeping through the day. Is that possible at all?

Thinking of you.
Yeah my doctor is aware and I@m also under a sleep consultant who prescribed melatonin to no avail. I next see him in November. There's nothing else my regular doctor can offer.

I get ready for bed, wind down by reading, have a bath, light candles or incense, don't drink caffinated drinks, drink loads of water and go to the bathroom, i can lie awake for hours so I know it's not too much light at night because I lie in a dark room.

Old 29-08-2016, 11:21 PM   #6
Kyaneos
Steph.

I am currently:

Could you maybe try the opposite Jodie? I realise this goes against every sleep hygeine rule, but i figure at this point you might be up for anything.

Have you tried to do the things 'they' say dont work... like leaving the tv on or a movie or something? For the last year I havent been able to sleep without netflix on, because something happened a year ago and every time I slept my head suddenly became like a horrible movie replaying everything that had happened on repeat and i desperately needed noise otherwise sleep was a no go. So I'd stick Netflix on, something I know so obv dont have to pay attention to (or the tv/boxset of dvds) and roll over to face the wall and fall asleep listening to the noise.

Have you tried anything like this?

Kyaneos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 01:27 AM   #7
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

I agree with the above - I can't sleep without listening to my ipod. I either listen to Keeping Up Appearances or an audio book. Like above its best that it's something that you know something off by heart. I find music too stimulating though.

My mum does something very similar - she listens to Desert Island Discs instead. She finds that she falls asleep before the end of the podcast.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 09:58 PM   #8
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

I'll give it ago. I used to try and sleep with headphones when the voices were bad but I've not tried for a while. I'll get my ipod out or laptop on tonight and see if that helps.

Thanks, will report back.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #9
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

It's not really been helping. I'm still not sleeping.

I was late to work today because I couldn't get myself out of bed in time because I didn't fall asleep until after 5am. I don't know what to do. I can't be late. I'm going to get fired if this keeps happening. I only work one morning a week the rest of my shifts are in the afternoon.

I had a nap this afternoon which helped but I work up so confused. I just want to sleep like a normal person. I have an appointment in October and one in November with the sleep clinic people so hopefully they will be able to help me. I'm tired of being tired.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:10 PM   #10
Kyaneos
Steph.

I am currently:

Can you speak to the shop about changing your shifts so they are all in the afternoon?

In the absenses of any further useful suggestions to help you sleep, you could try that - it just doesnt sound practical for you to have any morning shifts at the moment until you get this under control.

Kyaneos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:20 PM   #11
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

I'm trying to get my self used to working in the morning because I want to get into paid work soon. So I'm trying to adjust to morning work so I'm reluctant to change my shifts.

I had a good nights sleep last night so I feel physically a little better. I don't have to get up for anything tomorrow which is good so it doesn't matter if I sleep in.

It's getting closer to October/November when I see the consultants again. And I'm working 3 days a week so hopefully having some kind of routine will be helpful. And once they've hopefully done something to sort out my sleep I can look into paid work because at the moment I'm just not reliable enough to be contracted.

I'm tired, I'm exhausted, I'm physically sick but I have hope this can get better. I just need to hold on a bit longer.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:11 AM   #12
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

Holding on is getting hard. I've not slept again. I'm running out of copes.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:09 AM   #13
Bear
Partially hibernating

I am currently:

Is it possible you may have fibromyalgia hun?
just that I have something similar and relate to a lot of what you say, it may be worth some research?
Sending calm energy and love x

Three cheers for love of the simplest kind.
The coins I flip land on their sides.

Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #14
ajrocks

I am currently:

Hiya I can really relate-up until about 3 years ago I never slept well at all i would only fall asleep at stupid hours because i just couldn't tried everything-in end after a traumatic event my doctor prescribed me quietiapine to be taken at night.Its a very low dose I take it at 10pm and i'm out by 11ish I love it! I've tried a couple times not to take it but its same but my doctor says its okay to stay on it indefinitely.without it i wouldn't function at all.it has no effects for me in day so i'm happy.maybe that is something you can explore with your doctor?

"And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off."

"What others think of me is none of my business".

ajrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 07:54 PM   #15
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Is it possible you may have fibromyalgia hun?
just that I have something similar and relate to a lot of what you say, it may be worth some research?
Sending calm energy and love x
I've done some research and currently I meet most of the criteria. BUt I@m not sure. I guess I could go to my GP. I'm in constant discomfort or pain, have restless legs, IBS symptoms, Urinary symptoms, pain and sleeplessness. BUt no tender points bar my already damaged shoulder and knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrocks View Post
Hiya I can really relate-up until about 3 years ago I never slept well at all i would only fall asleep at stupid hours because i just couldn't tried everything-in end after a traumatic event my doctor prescribed me quietiapine to be taken at night.Its a very low dose I take it at 10pm and i'm out by 11ish I love it! I've tried a couple times not to take it but its same but my doctor says its okay to stay on it indefinitely.without it i wouldn't function at all.it has no effects for me in day so i'm happy.maybe that is something you can explore with your doctor?
I've been on Quetiapine as both an anti psychotic and again as a sleep aid. It doesn't sedate me.

Old 23-09-2016, 02:59 AM   #16
psychotic-44
somewhere, out there

I am currently:

What helps me sleep sometimes is having a film on my I pad. I watch it then slowly fall asleep after a while. Hope things get better soon hun xxx

psychotic-44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 12:14 AM   #17
holycrap

Sleep meditation recordings on Youtube have helped me in the past with this. I wish I could upload some links to ones I know have worked for me but I am not sure about the policy for doing so on this site. Just type in 'sleep meditation' and tons will come up. Some last for hours, so even if it takes them a long time to work you won't be left hanging. Binuaral beat recordings have been said to work as well for some people; you have to wear headphones for those to work.

holycrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #18
yoyogirl

I am currently:

Have you tried doing something that is quite boring at times, i find that listening to parliament channel on the BBC or an audiobook really draining and helps me sleep? I am sure you can find something radio 4 extra.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)