Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
ceapach
has a nifty custom user title

I am currently:
One in six teens inflict self-harm *Possibly Triggering*

One in six teens inflict self-harm

Abusing yourself isn't a suicidal or attention-seeking action, research suggests, but a coping mechanism

ANDRÉ PICARD
From Tuesday's Globe and Mail
January 29, 2008 at 9:18 AM EST

Almost one in six teenagers "self-harm" - injuring themselves by cutting, burning and other methods as a way of dealing with depression and anxiety, according to a new Canadian study.
Girls are more than twice as likely as boys to engage in self-harm, the research shows.
"People who are not familiar with this field will likely be struck by the level of this behaviour," Mary Nixon, a research associate at the Centre for Youth and Society at the University of Victoria, said in an interview.
"We're trying to raise awareness that it's not uncommon in young people and not related to mental health problems," she said.

A University of Victoria study found that girls are twice as likely as boys to engage in self-harm. <cite class="source">(Tim Fraser for The Globe and Mail)</cite>

The research, published in today's edition of the Canadian Medical Association Journal, shows that 17.6 per cent of teenagers self-harm - a number that includes 21 per cent of girls and 8.7 per cent of boys.
Cutting - such as using a razor to mutilate one's arms - is the most common form of self-harm, followed by burning, scratching, self-hitting and minor overdoses of drugs (usually prescription drugs, but sometimes street drugs) and alcohol.
Dr. Nixon said teenagers who self-harm are not trying to commit suicide but, rather, the act is a "maladaptive coping mechanism to deal with stress.
"These young people are translating their emotional pain into physical pain," she said.
Dr. Nixon, a child and adolescent psychiatrist, said when teenagers harm themselves, it is often assumed they are doing so to get attention, but the behaviour is far more complex.
"A lot of these kids hide their cuts and burns. It's not attention-seeking, it's something else," she said.
The study was conducted using data from the University of Victoria healthy youth survey.
A total of 568 young people aged 14 to 21 were interviewed. Ninety-six of them said they had, at some point in their young lives, harmed themselves deliberately.
About one-third of the teenagers had done so only once, another third on two to three occasions and the other third had self-harmed repeatedly. On average, their mutilating actions began at age 15.
"Some kids feel it does something for them so there is reinforcement and it can become like a 'bad habit' or an addictive behaviour," Dr. Nixon said.
While there are a number of websites that show teenagers how to self-mutilate - some in sickening detail - the majority of those surveyed, 74 per cent, said they had gotten the idea on their own. Almost 30 per cent said they got the idea from a friend, an indication of copycat behaviour. Another 15 per cent said they practised self-harm after seeing similar acts in movies or on television.
The research also shows that the majority of young people who self-harm recognize that doing so is problematic and seek help.
They turn, first and foremost to their friends, with 56 per cent saying they confided in a friend. Fifty-four per cent of youth turned to a psychiatrist or psychologist, 48 per cent went to family members, 30 per cent to family doctors and 18 per cent to telephone help lines such as Kids Help Line. "Teens, for many things, talk to other teens first," Dr. Nixon said. "But self-harm is such an intense, emotionally charged issue that not all peers can deal with it."
Dr. Nixon said she hopes the new research will, more than anything else, catch the eye of teachers, school counsellors, family doctors and others who interact regularly with teens so they can reach out to young women and men who are harming themselves.
"These kids need help," she said.
The research shows a clear link between self-harm and mental health problems. Those who hurt themselves are more than twice as likely to suffer from depression, anxiety and impulse disorders.
It is not entirely clear why girls are more likely to self-harm than boys, but Dr. Nixon believes it is related to the fact that rates of depression soar at puberty and that girls not only mature earlier but react differently to stress.
"Girls internalize their emotions," she said, while boys may go out and pick a fight instead of hurting themselves.

ceapach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

well most of this i already knew.
but i have to say i disagree with the part saying that self harm is not related to mental health issues.
i know there is a small percentage of the time that people engage in self harm just to see what its like or to follow. but that is very very small.
most people who self harm do it because of their emotions...your emotions are to do with your mental health.

it is pretty scary tho to know that so many people feel they have to do this

88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
Accidentally Abstract
Luce.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceapach View Post
"We're trying to raise awareness that it's not uncommon in young people and not related to mental health problems," she said.

The research shows a clear link between self-harm and mental health problems. Those who hurt themselves are more than twice as likely to suffer from depression, anxiety and impulse disorders.
Haha, way to contradict.. =P

Ride it out.
"I need a sunrise in the dark."

Accidentally Abstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
~invisible~girl~

Dr. Nixon claims that self harm is "not related to mental health problems." So besides that they later say that people who self harm are more than twice as likely to suffer from mental illness... I think that self-harm is inherently related to mental health problems to some extent. It's not necessarily related to mental illness, in the sense of meeting the criteria for a recognized mental disorder, but mental health entails more than simply the absence of such a disorder, just like physical health includes more than simply the presence or absence of a distinct illness. Since self harm is a behavior, and behaviors are effectively mental functions, it's clearly related to mental health. So unless Dr. Nixon means to say that self harm is not a "problem" at all, which seems contradictory with her describing it as a "maladaptive coping mechanism," I would have to say that it is a mental health problem. People who self harm don't necessarily have to have a "mental illness" by current definitions of the term, but self harm is still a mental health problem.

Emily

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This Is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

~invisible~girl~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
atropine
Me

I am currently:

1 in 6 seems pretty high, but then again there were 4 of us in my secondary school class that i knew about who did.
the worst part is that the figures are that high, but yet no-one ever talks about it and its as taboo as ever...

Lace me up...

atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
MammaMia

Quote:
Originally Posted by atropine View Post
the worst part is that the figures are that high, but yet no-one ever talks about it and its as taboo as ever...
I en totally agree. I mean it's just something that feels uncomfortable to dicuss. Even if one day it was less tabooed, who's to say there won't be more people faking it? Because they will know that they WILL get their attention.

It is a taboo subject and this is both a good and bad thing. I don't know if anyone would agree though. The good thing, that attention seekers won't know if they'll get attention from it. Which they probs would. But, then again, what about people who aren't doing it for attention and want to talk to somebody about it....it's a very tricky thing.

I mean like at college, hardly anyone knows that I have self harmed, well they all think I don't anymore. Well except for one person who I think knows I'm not in recovery. At college only a few people know and that's like 3 friends, one of my enablers and my counsellor. Hardly anyone really.

I just wonder how good the effect would be in raising awareness, I think overall it's great to raise it. But there's always going to be a con or two that comes along with it, from a small minority of people.

Okay, rambling!

Have left RYL.

MammaMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

'not related to mental health problems' utter raving bollocks. i'm sorry but in my opinon having to resort to self harm to cope with life IS a mental health probelm in it's self. It still surprises me that it isn't usually called a 'disorder' as are anorexia, bulimia and other harmful behaviours/coping mechanisms. I tihnk self harm IS a disorder of some form, and that it should be recognised as such. On a grand scale of things though I don't think that article was half bad.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:55 AM   #8
~invisible~girl~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Buttons~ View Post
It still surprises me that it isn't usually called a 'disorder' as are anorexia, bulimia and other harmful behaviours/coping mechanisms. I tihnk self harm IS a disorder of some form, and that it should be recognised as such.
I think that self harm is more a symptom than a whole disorder. I say that mainly because I don't think that there's a single kind of unifying thought process or emotional state behind SI like there is for behaviors that characterize a specific disorder. Like with anorexia, there's fear of gaining weight, distorted body image, ect. that lead to the behaviors, and even though the disorder is identified by the symptoms, the concept of the disorder is more about the psychological processes that produce the behaviors. But with SI, there might be someone who cuts to prevent themselves from dissociating, someone else who does it to relieve feelings of depression, someone who does it because they're trying to remove alien devices from their body, and someone else who does it for attention. In those examples, it could be a feature of a dissociative disorder, a mood disorder, a psychotic disorder, and personality disorder, which are all really different things, and it doesn't make sense to lump all of those together or to treat one feature of them as its own disorder. Of course, there are also people who SI without meeting the criteria for any mental disorder, but there are also plenty of people who engage in other maladaptive behaviors without meeting the criteria for any disorder, and it's still seen as maladaptive and as a potential focus for treatment, it's just not a whole disorder.

Emily

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This Is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

~invisible~girl~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)