RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 05-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Mirabelle

I am currently:
Calling All Londoners!! Please help!

So.... after a year of whining and ranting and general obnoxiousness, you'll be happy to know I've found a job!!! Yay me!

However... this job is in London and I'm in a state of intense stress and panic as I start in less than a month and do not even live in the UK at the moment.

So... any tips on living in London? Neighbourhoods to avoid, neighbourhoods to enjoy, flats, shopping, eating out, commuting, etc?

Just so you have an idea: I'll be working in central London, I refuse to flatshare as I want my friends to be able to come over and entertain, I'm happy to do up to about 45 minutes commute, not more than an hour and I can put up to 700 pcm in a flat (but cheaper is always welcome).

All your ideas, tips, advice are welcome!! And who knows, maybe you'll find out something about your own city!

sitting on the sideline

Mirabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Lilo

I am currently:

I would suggest Mile End in zone 2, its got the central and district line going through.
Lots of markets for cheap food and a big sainsburys in nearby Whitecha

but to be honest youre gonna find it virtually impossible to find a flat for £700

Lilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeine_queen View Post
Just so you have an idea: I'll be working in central London, I refuse to flatshare as I want my friends to be able to come over and entertain, I'm happy to do up to about 45 minutes commute, not more than an hour and I can put up to 700 pcm in a flat (but cheaper is always welcome).
I honestly think your budget is far, far too low, especially if you are looking for a one-bed. You could struggle to find a flatshare for that budget in near-central London. Sharing doesn't mean you can't have friends over and entertain.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Mirabelle

I am currently:

I've already found flats at these prices... so... confused. I don't want something in central London, I'm looking at greater London, as I said, anything under 1h commute.

and it's not just sharing a flat, it's sharing a flat after having my own place for 2 years, having furniture (which, no, I do not want to sell) and generally being a very independent person.

It would indeed be completely unrealistic to look at something near-ish central with such a budget :)

sitting on the sideline

Old 05-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
The One Who

I am currently:

I presume you've included the cost of council tax and bills as well? Plus the cost of travelling?

Look at places that are either on the Tube line to where you are going to be working, or on a decent bus route. I'm sure there used to be a website where you put in your maximum commute time and it gave you a list of places and compared them. I have absolutely no idea what the site was though.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Mirabelle

I am currently:

No no, I can go to 700 without bills or council tax or commuting. Sorry, should have been more precise!

Obviously I would prefer if it included at least the council tax but I know rent+ tax + bills is obviously going to add up to quite a bit.

I'm also looking at commuting by rail as I'll be just 5 minutes away on foot from King's Cross.

To be fair, I'm from Switzerland so I'm used to paying extortionnate amount for the most basic amenities and I'm not a big party person, nor big shopping person and my job offers breakfast and lunch so my "daily" costs won't be very high.

I shall try to find that site, thanks!! :)

sitting on the sideline

Old 05-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
squirrelspit

I am currently:

yay Dais! well done!!

as a general rule, south/south east/east London are all cheaper accomodation wise than north london is. South london tends to be cheaper as not a lot
of it is on a tube line, but there are trains that go very frequently.

If youre willing to communte then you'll be better off looking in zone 3 as you'll get more for your money.

Ive lived all over london, and i must say that where i live now (just by greenwich) is my favourite of all the areas.

squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

South East London may get mesy over the next few months with the Olympics though =S Apart from that though, I do recommend the docklands. And you should defs go to Westfield in Stratford once you get here!
Depending on where you're going to work [if it's very near a national rail station], you could maybe live further out in zone 4-5, where you'll get more for your money and more pretty suburbs, and still have less than an hour's commute. Just as a random example, Harrow-Weald is right out in zone 5, but only 15 minutes on a fast train from Euston.

Also, you absolutely need to check out Camden Market when you get here!

Welcome to London; hope you love it as much as I do!

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

I am impressed that you've found places for that price, I used to live in London in a single room for £600 a month, though that did include bills I guess (except internet which was an extra £10 a month)

As has been said as a rule south London is cheaper rent wise

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Mirabelle

I am currently:

It's all very exciting!!! I'm sure I will love it when I'm there but right now it's anxiety and panic because my current jobs are being mean and not letting me leave earlier :(
Which technically means I have 3 days to find a flat, move my stuff and start a new job. Cute, right?

I've started looking at flats with the help of our lovely chat regulars and seems you're correct Charlie, east and south are the cheapest, although I've also found a few places north. I'm definitely looking at zones 3 to 5, zones 1 and 2 are absolutely out of the question in my current situation.

On the bright side, I won't be able to say I don't have time to read anymore as it'll probably be my commuting activity most of the time :P

sitting on the sideline

Old 07-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

Definitely go south/south east. Places like lewisham, eltham, bexley,greenwich,blackheath and I garuntee youll find something good in New Cross!

I would avoid deptford and peckham if I were you :P

Rent isnt THAT high outside of central, especially towards the south of london, Im not surprised at the flat prices :P Im sure youll find somewhere Daisy and you know where we are if you need any help/ anything when you get here!
xx

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
squirrelspit

I am currently:

liv and i blates just want you to live near us!

squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

If your work is near kings cross you have a lot of tube options which will definately work in your favour. However, the majority of these (Northern, Victoria, Piccadilly) go North South. You do have the Hammersmith and City line going east but it's the worst tube line so I would avoid at all cost!!!

I would thus recommend south london and Charlie and Liv have given some good options!

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)