RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 23-08-2007, 04:00 AM   #1
Canuck

I am currently:
Tattoo Scar Cover Ups: Pictures Request.

Hi. New here. I'm not sure if requesting pictures is allowed, but I didn't see any opposition to it in the Rules section.

Right. So I've done a forum search on tattoos and have come across a couple of tattooing over scars threads, but they are strictly information only. I've done some research on tattooing over scars and most experts and websites say the same thing. It's all very vague and mostly positive, but there is nothing really conclusive and concrete. Specifically, I'm looking for pictures that I can compare to my own scars.

I'm quite apprehensive about getting sleeves done on my arms (and maybe legs) because I've been reading mixed reviews about scar cover ups. I suppose it depends on the individual and severity of scarring, but I have nothing to compare my own scars to. I can't seem to find any pictures of tattoo cover ups over numerous separate scars such as cutter scars, and I have only found rare few tattoo cover up pictures of random singular scars. Most of my scarring is fairly extensive ranging from thin lines in sequence to large raised keloids to cigarette burns, (mostly) all 1 to 6 years old. They cover a large percentage of my skin on my arms and legs so wearing t-shirts and shorts isn't possible unless I want to be seriously stared at and/or ridiculed. I don't see any viable options besides laser surgery (way too expensive) or tattoo cover ups at this point.

Yeah... So if anyone has had tattoo cover ups done over scars, I'd really appreciate it if you could post or send pictures of them to me. Much obliged.

-J

Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 06:29 AM   #2
well
I'm Not Okay (I Promise)

I am currently:

0.0.....whoah.....that's a cool idea.....the tattoo covering it.....hmmmmm.....what would happen if you ended up cutting again? Wouldn't that screw up the tatoo?.....cuz that would just be my luck.....what causes those keloid scars anyway?.....I mean, I know someone who ALWAYS gets those.....but only on certain places.....and I've always wondered why it does that.....like you can have 2 similar cuts and only one gets a keloid.....

I am not afraid to keep on living-I am not afraid to walk this world alone..Biting keeps your words at bay,tending to the sores that stay-happiness is just a gash away.When i open a familiar scar,pain goes shooting like a star-comfort hasn't failed to follow so far.And pens and penknives take the blame,crane my neck and scratch my name.-but the ugly marks are worth the momentary gain.When i drive a sharpened object in,choirs of angels seem to sing hymns of hate in memorandum

well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
Angel_Girl
Polar Bear - you people are melting MY ICE!

I am currently:

Sorry cause I don't have any pics (it's probably not prohibited, but I think you'd have better luck in the Pictures Forum). My own opinion about this is that tattoos are a way of covering up, but I have heard of cases when someone's scars turned worse after tattooing over them. I'm not trying to say that yours'll do the same, everyone's skin is different, but you might want to go slowly and try a small tattoo at first so you can see the reaction of your skin. Also, what if you do start SI-ing again? And mess up your tattoos? It's not rare, you know.

Just be careful whatever you do. *hugs*

Stay safe,
Deena

God made sure we'd meet.

Angel_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 07:55 AM   #4
.ghost.

I am currently:

Like Deena said, everyone's skin is different and a tattoo cover up might not always look the way you want it, so you should think carefully about what would happen if you got it done and it did make your scars look worse.
To be tattooed, I think scars have to be white and flat too, I'm not sure you can do it over red raised ones or really severe scars.

Take care
xx

Help, I'm alive
My heart keeps beating
Like a hammer

.ghost. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
Canuck

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by well View Post
0.0.....whoah.....that's a cool idea.....the tattoo covering it.....hmmmmm.....what would happen if you ended up cutting again? Wouldn't that screw up the tatoo?.....cuz that would just be my luck.....what causes those keloid scars anyway?.....I mean, I know someone who ALWAYS gets those.....but only on certain places.....and I've always wondered why it does that.....like you can have 2 similar cuts and only one gets a keloid.....
I'm pretty confident at the moment that I won't be self-injuring in the form of cutting again. If I do, hopefully I'll be in control enough to at least not cut over my tattoos. I guess you could say I've been a fully body cutter anyways, I've just always cut more severely and more frequently on my arms. I'm not sure why some places of skin scar more heavily/lightly than other places. I find it very bizarre as well. I suppose you'd have to ask a dermatologist lol. It probably has to do with body fat, skin regeneration in the area, health while healing, and a whole other whack of complications. Anyways, thanks for your reply and concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_Girl View Post
Sorry cause I don't have any pics (it's probably not prohibited, but I think you'd have better luck in the Pictures Forum). My own opinion about this is that tattoos are a way of covering up, but I have heard of cases when someone's scars turned worse after tattooing over them. I'm not trying to say that yours'll do the same, everyone's skin is different, but you might want to go slowly and try a small tattoo at first so you can see the reaction of your skin.
I didn't even know there was a Pictures section. Oops! Thanks for the advice, that's a good idea! I probably will try that. I've read about how some people are very dissatisfied with the outcome of their tattoos and how they can become more prominent afterwards, but I figure at least the tattoos will be a distraction. Either way, they're verrrry noticable lol. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .ghost. View Post
Like Deena said, everyone's skin is different and a tattoo cover up might not always look the way you want it, so you should think carefully about what would happen if you got it done and it did make your scars look worse.
To be tattooed, I think scars have to be white and flat too, I'm not sure you can do it over red raised ones or really severe scars.

Take care
xx
I'll definitely be taking that into consideration. I'll have to go in for a consult when I find the right tattoo shop and artist to see what they have to say. Thanks for the help.

Man, this is a long post...

Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 03:05 AM   #6
krazykasey21

hi um so I'm so glad u don't self injury anymore. I use to do it and stopped a year ago after doing it doe 13 years. And I resentlly got a tattoo to cover up the scars and I have thousands so I hope my pic will help u with it decision. If u drop me an email @ krazykaseyusaf@ aol.com I'll send u a pic. And I promise I'm not giving u my email for a wierd reason. It's just the only way I can show u my tattoo from my Iphone. Okay? So drop me an email if u wanna see it and once again I am so happy it doing better and trying to love a healther way of life.

krazykasey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:10 AM   #7
zivalover16

I am currently:

I put a pic of the tattoo covering up some scars on my arm in the picture thread.......It might be a few pages in but it's there :)

Big Sister:Squiggles
Little Sister: PaintItBlack
Cousins: dereksarah, Hollz

zivalover16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
Leo Pard
Flem Fatale

I am currently:

There are also numerous other ways of covering scars permanently (such as branding and scarification[no ders]) which can sometimes work better but it depends on the result you want and things... Also, it may be worth it if you search for BMEzine on google and have a look around there at the tattoo galleries because I have seen a few cover ups around there that are very good.

There was also an article in Bizzare, with pictures, of a koi carp scarification that was done to cover self harm scars...
Type 'self harm Bizzare koi carp' into google and click on the first linky for the article. *Is not sure about posting links and things*

Hope you get the info you need and feel free to PM me if you can't find much or want links. :]

Erm erm erm I guess the only thing left to say is that it is also worth going to a tattoo artist and asking them what they think would work best and what you want so you can design an image that you will like and that will cover up your scars and things.

The world is just illusion always trying to change me.
You will find wonder wherever you can, and spread joy whenever you are able.

I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, divide within me. - Frankenstein.

Leo Pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
White Noise

I thought of tattooing quite a long time ago but didn't go through with it in the end. I got a lot of warnings about how the ink doesn't always take on scar tissue and that it can end up showing through a tattoo. That's somehting which depends on the type of scar as well as your skin type though, so it is worth investigating fully if it would work or not because you could easily end up going to someone who says that they will tattoo over it only to find that the scars still show.
I did ask around a few tattoo places just to see, and one did talk about designing the tattoo to camouflage the scar tissue without necessarily tattooing the scar tissue itself. The only problem with that is if the scar tissue covers a wide area or is too uneven, but its an idea worth looking at if you think that your scars won't hold the pigment.

Random radio ___________This spiral
Static on tv ____________Has worn a groove so deep
Losing count of _________Can’t climb out
All the days and weeks ___Pathetic, painful need

(survival is my victory.)

White Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
brucecat

tattooing over scar tissue

I saw this post a while back while I was in treatment dealing with my issues. It is more than possible to tattoo over scar tissue. Almost any scar can be tattooed on. I spent countless hours on the internet getting the same vague answers to my question. I am in the process of getting sleeve tattoos and all of the scars, most of them major, were easly covered up. My arms are 70% scar tissue. Find the right artist and he/she can help you greatly. There is a lady in san francisco that specializes in covering self harm scarring. I don't know if this is allowed but her site helped me greatly. www.dragonflyink.com. Shes dedicated her life to helping people with disfiguing scars.

brucecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #11
Katiee
It's full of lonely.

I am currently:

I think you should contact a tattoo palour and see what they say, hun.

<3.

Katiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
bronwen grey

Tattoos to cover scars

Hi, I am a 56 year-old woman and I have two major scars on my left forearm as the result of self-harming when I was a teenager. In those days no-one talked about it and I was just told at A&E when they sewed me up to 'go away and stop being silly'. I didn't know anyone else who did it and was amazed when I discovered that it's now quite wide-spread amongst young people. Anyway, I've been looking at my horrible scars for 40 years and recently decided to do something about it, i.e. have a tattoo. I attach a picture of the result. Sorry I didn't photograph the scar before it was covered up. It was a flat, pink scar and non-keloid and I thought I'd start with that one. I have another, larger, keloid scar further up on my arm and my tattooists thinks he can work with that too, despite the fact that it's quite lumpy, so that may be next. My husband thinks I'm too old to be having tattoos and says it's something young girls do but I had it done because I wanted to look at something that was prettier than my scar. I did it for me and I don't care what other people think of it. I love it! On another note, if you still want to harm yourself, please go and see your GP. I don't want to sound patronising but there are some fantastic anti-depressants available now and I think if I had got medication earlier and been able to tell someone that the self-harm was the result of how I felt, I wouldn't have wasted so much precious life. Take care of yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (44.5 KB, 82 views)

bronwen grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
x-love/hate/tragedy-x
Do one thing everyday that scares you.

I am currently:

Started this thread in the picture board as I am interested in this too
http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum...d.php?t=180625
x

Some Things There Are No Words For, Only Shoulders To Lean On.
Hands To Hold On To.
And Hugs To Comfort You, As Best They Can.
Buttons - you make me proud.
MeaCulpa - It will never be your fault.
Everyone - Whatever you need to hear.

x-love/hate/tragedy-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:13 AM   #14
scrappie88
aka bloodyhell88

I am currently:

i have a phoenix on my right thigh to cover some scars, its just black, and the raised scars can sometimes still be seen, but all in all, it worked well. i would suggest getting a powerful message or symbol of hope there, so when u look at it, u'll remember things will get better and u r strong enough to not hurt :)

Take a lickin and keep on kickin!!

scrappie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
forgottendreams

Yeah, you'd need to definitely talk to an artist before hand, best to have a rapport also, aside from the waiver and such regardless, alot of artists hesitate due to the risk of it not holding the ink etc. Although, rather than just slapping on a random design, if you were to speak at length with one and they were up for the challenge, they'd find a way to incorporate it to reduce the appearance even if the ink couldn't hold. But yeah, I'm in the same boat and in the process of figuring out what to get, was thinking of negative thorns type sleeve since the keloidal scars are spaced out enough for it to work.

forgottendreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #16
x-love/hate/tragedy-x
Do one thing everyday that scares you.

I am currently:

Just a thought & I don't know if people would like the idea of this (I'm not sure if I do or not, but it's irrelevant because my scars are too numerous and all in the same place for the effect to be good anyway) but for some people scarification might be worth considering.
x

Some Things There Are No Words For, Only Shoulders To Lean On.
Hands To Hold On To.
And Hugs To Comfort You, As Best They Can.
Buttons - you make me proud.
MeaCulpa - It will never be your fault.
Everyone - Whatever you need to hear.

x-love/hate/tragedy-x is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)