RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Ahimsa

I am currently:
Work party - what would you do?

We have a big party at work for xmas.
The whole day is based around drinking (its a bar I work at).

I'm on meds that I'm not meant to be drinking while I'm on them. I had quite a few drinks with work people on friday night and ended up doing something I'm now going to have to hide (and it won't be easy due to it's location).

I'm left with 3 options.

Deal with being called a boring member of bar staff and watch everyone else get drunk
Admit I'm on meds and I can't drink while I'm on them
Just deal with it and have a few drinks?

if you think you know me in real life, no you don't.

Ahimsa is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 23-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
Patent Pending
★ Katie ★

I am currently:

Hey lovely,

Personally, I'd tell them you're on some tablets and can't drink on them. That's nothing to be embarrassed about and they should be understanding, everyone has times like these (for example while on anti-biotics etc). You don't need to tell them what the medication is.

x x x

It's the ups and downs of living life this way. Promise me you'll never go away. Just stay with me through one more night because it's always darkest before the light and now I promise you I'll never turn away. I won't let you give us one less heart to break...

Patent Pending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
whirlpools

A or B. I appreciate it's not easy when you work in a bar, but really it's none of their business why you're not drinking. If you choose B you could say you're on antibiotics if they probe, but if you just say you're on meds they would be rude to enquire further.

I would worry that if you choose C, you could do something that would affect your reputation at best, at worst you could get hurt. Good luck.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
Amaryllis
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I'd go with just not drinking. If you are going to a bar you do not work at, you could always get a 'fancy' drink with no alcohol.

Maybe "I don't feel like it tonight" "just not a big drinker" "I'm on a new diet"

There are lots of things you could say and then just don't give in.

Men come and go, but dust accumulates.

Amaryllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Either A or B. I'd say it's none of their business why you're not drinking, but I know some people can be awful and pressure others into drinking, so giving someone like that a concrete reason might help. You could say generally "I can't drink as I take medication" and if they ask then make a joke out of it being personal?

I would say definitely don't drink anyway. It's not worth putting your health at risk.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #6
Iamcatbug
Cat

This is an issue I face every year at my work Christmas party, I can't drink alcohol either and even though they know this they keep trying to pressure me into doing it. It is a difficult thing to do but I do agree with others that your best options are A or B.

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #7
Ahimsa

I am currently:

it is at a bar I work at. it's shut for the day for our party and between us we'll be serving each other.

On Friday, I'd been there 10 minutes and already had been asked "why don't you have a drink yet?"

It also needs to be believable that I wasn't on these meds on Friday (I was, but then they'll know I shouldn't have been drinking) but that in 3 weeks, I will be on them.

They know about my arms but not in any details and they've never asked, but I don't hide them really (we have to wear polo shirts) - but since things went downhill I've worn a long sleeved top underneath (because I'm "cold).

Old 23-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Don't drink.

I never drink at all because I cannot stand the taste of alcoholic drinks, and also I am on multiple meds that would interact. I do not feel boring or inferior to those that do choose to consume alcohol.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #9
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Could you say you are on antibiotics when the time comes?

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
over and out

I am currently:

either explain that youre on meds or (i've done this method a few times) lie and order say a coke and say its got vodka in...

over and out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #11
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

I agree antibiotics is usually a safe bet for explaining.

In this day and age you reaaally should just be able to day you don't feel like drinking. Many people do accept that. It depends if you can handle the pressure they might put on you through questions. Usually if you say enough you're not drinking they'll get the message and stop.

I went to a Hen's party with a lot of pressure to drink but I had got sick tut week before from drinking so I just said "no I got sick drinking so much last week I need a break!"

Definitely don't drink, which ever other option you go.
Hope you're okay

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #12
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Auror and Sherlock have made some super good ideas! I like the idea of having a buddy to back you up and make people back off, and of giving a concrete response and if they probe making a joke out of it (plan the joke before!)

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #13
Ahimsa

I am currently:

Thanks for your help guys, I don't know what I was thinking with option 3. Caused quite a bit of damage SH wise after the last time I drunk on these meds.

I tend to work alone as it's pretty quiet this time of year (golf club) and the only person I see staff wise is the bar manager, or the club manager - neither of which I really want to go discussing MH problems with!

I can't lie about what the drink is, as we'll be serving each other.

Old 25-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
Ahimsa

I am currently:

There's only 3 of us who are bar staff, then various other members of staff - not a huge number or anything - so I can't really get someone looking out for me.
I can't say I'm driving as they know I can get a lift if I need one, or the bus.

Am I overthinking this? This is without even thinking about hiding my arms!

Old 26-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #15
Emmelberry

I am currently:

chill! loads of people are on tablets that mean they shouldn't drink. some people can drink small amounts occasionally on psychotropics but you don't sound like youre one of them, so don't risk it please. your health is most important.
i have had experiences where people have assumed i was ridiculously drunk when i was sober simply because i wasn't "boring". bizarre. so be confident and have fun, talk to people and screw anyone who thinks you're being boring by taking care of yourself.
if you don't want to go or think there's a risk of you getting pressured into drinking i really think you should just skip it.

Emmelberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #16
Ahimsa

I am currently:

There's no way I'm skipping it, I missed it last year as I was away, and it's been made to seem like a big event, a full day thing.

It's Fluoxetine I'm on.

Old 27-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #17
Emmelberry

I am currently:

oh lord i was terrible if i drank on fluoxetine, i'd read about people doing weird stuff with it, like not the sort of stuff they'd do if really drunk just incredibly uncharacteristic or strange or dangerous stuff. and it turned out i was one of them! bad times. then just go and relax and have fun. just have your fizzy drink of choice so then you'll already have a drink if someone tries to give you one. since even if you've already said you won't be drinking drunk people sure are forgetful. don't stress.

Emmelberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 12:47 AM   #18
Ahimsa

I am currently:

this is tomorrow.

turns out its a full day thing, I'm meant to be there at half 1 and it goes on pretty late. Everyone will be drunk by like, 3! stress!

Old 17-12-2014, 06:04 AM   #19
Amaryllis
Forum Mod

I am currently:

You can do it! Just say you've been ill if you like or that you're on a medication for something where you can't drink.

But you can do this and it will be ok.

Men come and go, but dust accumulates.

Amaryllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 01:09 AM   #20
Ahimsa

I am currently:

I was on J20 all day, then we went to another bar, I ended up drinking, not a lot, had 2 panic attack, my boss came to find me, we got a taxi home. I've just got in. It's my own fault though for drinking and I know that, I'm not expecting sympathy or support.

I've texted my best friend and told her everything thats been going on, and I said that I'm okay (which I am) but I may at some point need her support and she's not to worry.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)