RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 06-03-2015, 04:06 AM   #1
MoWFeHgb

I am currently:
Torn between two choices, WWYD?(Jobs)

Hopefully this is appropriate to post here, I'm looking for some fresh PoVs that aren't my mother's. This is going to be long, so bear with me...

I'm 21 with a college diploma working in a hospital diagnostic department. Currently I only have a casual position which means I rely only on pickup shifts. I have no set schedule, no benefits. Some months I can work 10+ shifts, other months I can only get 2-3. It's not reliable or secure at all, money has been tight. Full time or near full time jobs are a hot commodity in my field and it's hard for someone like me to get an interview, let alone a job. I have only been out of school for a year now.

The only places that full time jobs are available and achievable are the remote clinics in either the far north or deep in the mountains. Right now there is one available in BC that has been vacant for several months now. Full time, permanent, full benefits, no weekends or call. I will be taking a cut in my base rate of pay(almost $7/h), but I will be in a better overall situation. Plus I'd be the only tech working at all times(I am not a team player despite my chosen profession). I love working by myself. Currently the only time I get to work alone is evening shifts. Those are great but I don't like being in emergency situations. I work at a rural trauma center so it's not uncommon to need stat blood transfusions, blood cultures, spinal trauma x-rays, complex fractures, difficult patients, cardiacs, etc... I am good at my job, but I don't like those fast paced emerg situations.

This job in BC would give me a reliable, fixed income in a low stress, independent environment. I don't mind moving 9+ hours from my family, or living in a town of 500 people built into the side of a mountain. I like small towns. Plus I've found someone on facebook who worked the same position that I could try and contact about the area(I'm really good at Facebook creeping, lol). If that was all of my circumstances I'd have applied already.

But I own 3 horses. One is in training to sell, but isn't ready to market yet. Where I am now he wouldn't be hard to sell, but in the middle of the mountains it will be harder despite his quality. My other two are keepers, but one is a high maintenance horse. He needs a stall with his legs wrapped at night and daily anti-inflammatory meds and special shoes and regular massages work. My last one has no issues, thankfully.

I have found a possible place to keep them 40 minutes from the job that may accommodate my special guy. There is still the issue of selling the other one though. If I wait to apply until after he sells then I run the risk of the job closing. He might not be ready to sell until late summer and the new grads come out in May.

Even more, I ride English(jumping and dressage), where as this place does barrel racing. It will be hard to find lessons for myself and my young horses. Which bring me to the next hard part... I just found a new trainer last August and we've made huge improvements over the last few months. Plus she is already planning this summer's show scheduled and I really want to show with her, something I can't do on the side of a mountain. I really don't want to have all these plans for us(she doesn't have a lot of students) then just up and leave before the seasons starts. I just renewed all my memberships and licenses to show and bought my horses passports, too.

And my high maintenance horse is just now getting his feet fixed with my new farrier. It is shockingly hard to find a good farrier, and I'm afraid I will be stuck with an old fashioned one who will screw up his progress. My other two I can trim myself since they have no shoes, but he needs shoes and I can't do that myself.

It's only a few things holding me back, but they are big things! Any earthly words of wisdom?!

MoWFeHgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Tricky!

What happens if you can't sell your horse?

How frequent are jobs in your area if you don't go for this one how realistic is to get another one?

Could you apply and see? There is no guarantee you will get it. It will also give you a feel of the place at interview, you may love it you may hate it or you may be indifferent.

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
thescientist

I am currently:

Hi - are you a scientist too?! I love your username! (I can't quite figure out your job requirements from what you say!)

What you're asking is hobbies vs career. Which is more important to you? I know what it'd be for me, but it'd be different for a lot of my friends.

Y'know, there's no harm in applying now, and rejecting any offer they might give you if you later decide you don't want it. :)

thescientist is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)