Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 25-08-2015, 04:21 AM   #1
Bear
Partially hibernating

I am currently:
Has anyone been for respite?

Hey.
I'm staying at a nursing home from tomorrow to give my carers and myself a break.
Has anyone ever been somewhere like this for either physical or emotional support? Mines for physical stuff but I'm hoping it'll help me mentally too.
What are care homes like? I feel a bit like things are getting out of hand, I can't stand up anymore so I'm in bed or a chair all day and now this, it's hard.
Any experiences would be lovely x
Ta

Three cheers for love of the simplest kind.
The coins I flip land on their sides.

Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #2
Cedrus

I am currently:

I haven't got any experiences with the above but I wanted to let you know that I acknowledge how difficult your situation must be and that I really do hope the respite admission at the care home really does give you some respite. Have you got any calming hobbies you can do there or things that empty your mind?

I hope you manage to make a few connections with the other people there so you have company. Thinking of you and really hoping it goes well!

sticks and stones may break your bones but words can tear your heart out.

Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
Emmabob.

I am currently:

We've had a few people on respite, I think from speaking to people, adjusting to the changes of mealtimes is the hardest bit (both places I've done care meals have been like 830-9am breakfast, 1230 lunch then 430 dinner & supper around 8-9pm) where I am now (is care home rather than nursing) there's a few people on respite & they don't want to go home. It all depends a lot on the place, it shouldn't be too bad. Both places I've been have encouraged people to do their normal things, infact where I am at the moment, they allow people to smoke in their rooms just to keep that level of "normality" for them x

Emmabob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
Bear
Partially hibernating

I am currently:

Awh Thank you so much for the lovely replies. I'm all packed and just being driven there now. My room sounds lovely, I get my own patio doors to the garden and a little bathroom.
And they have a cat
I'll post a little update when I'm settled, but thanks for the support xx

Old 26-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
Bear
Partially hibernating

I am currently:

Well I've just been sitting in a big squashy chair eating tea and biscuits
Yesterday I had a chat with the other residents and watched a film. I'm on a soft diet so it's not the most appetising but it's ok. There's loads of little courtyards so I've been sat in the sun.
Emma, what's the difference between a care home and a nursing home?
Either way the staff seem nice. They said I can ring my bell if I hallucinate in the night.
I'm pretty happy here.

Old 26-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Aww I am so pleased that you are happy. Sorry I haven't had any helpful replies before.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

Please do not pm me without permission as I find getting PMs very stressful.

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 02:24 AM   #7
Bear
Partially hibernating

I am currently:

Thank you petal

Old 27-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #8
what_the?
continual crisis

I am currently:

I'm glad you're pretty happy! It's great that you've found somewhere that's working.

I thought I'd just jump in with the residential care/nursing home distinction (sorry, this is my job...) Residential care means that there is no trained nursing oversight, so any nursing care needed will be provided by district nurses etc. Staff don't always have healthcare qualifications. A nursing home, means that there will be at least one trained nurse on all shift, so they tend to be for people who have more complex health needs.

Hope that makes sense and that you get what you need out of the respite placement.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. Make us all feel wonderful. We'll never forget."

what_the? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 06:30 AM   #9
Emmabob.

I am currently:

^ pretty much that. nursing homes have nurses 24/7 (or at least they did where I was) and can deal with more complex issues, where as carehomes tend to just be carers but have more involvement with outside medical professionals, such as nurses & things. the carehome which I'm at, there ARE a couple of nursing students, but a lot of people have btecs/nvq's.

Emmabob. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)