RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #121
fragile as glass
such a beautiful disaster

I am currently:

Personally I don't think the self harm scenes were that graphic, they didn't show open wounds or stitches or anything like that.

I also am enjoying this series and hope it highlights the great lack of support and empathy for adults that kids/adolescents get.

It may sound blunt but if you have watched this and been triggered by it, instead of watching more, don't watch it at all. No-one is making anyone watch this documentary series. It's a choice we all have and its there so we can protect ourselves.

GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CANNOT CHANGE
THE COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN
AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE

Don't let the sphincter's get you down

fragile as glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #122
Stellata

I'm not 'triggered' by it, personally. :) I'm as ok as can be possible with the feelings that come up. It's ok for me.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #123
Soviette

I am currently:

The second episode was good, I felt sorry for that girl (forgot her name..) who couldn't go home for Christmas, not being funny, but that came across as rather cruel. Felt sorry for Beth too.

Crystal/Kristol was pretty interesting. I'd assumed she had schizophrenia, so I was surprised at the psych's opinion, although I don't know an awful lot on the matter of psychosis, etc.

Soviette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:38 AM   #124
nowhereman

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
The second episode was good, I felt sorry for that girl (forgot her name..) who couldn't go home for Christmas, not being funny, but that came across as rather cruel. c.
Me too, when she was crying her eyes out I just wanted to hug her, poor thing

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #125
ferretmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile as glass View Post
Personally I don't think the self harm scenes were that graphic, they didn't show open wounds or stitches or anything like that.

I also am enjoying this series and hope it highlights the great lack of support and empathy for adults that kids/adolescents get.

It may sound blunt but if you have watched this and been triggered by it, instead of watching more, don't watch it at all. No-one is making anyone watch this documentary series. It's a choice we all have and its there so we can protect ourselves.
Re the self harm, Gill did show the camera open wound at one point

ferretmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #126
ferretmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Maiden View Post
Why were you all crying? The programme had no effect on my emotions.
People sometimes cry for other people because they empathise with them, even if they dont know that person.

ferretmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #127
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

^ thanks for explaining. I have serious issues with empathy.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #128
pb&banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret squirrel View Post
I was impressed that they didn't go down the easy route with Krystal and medicate her with antipsychotics; instead looking at her life history for reasons why she is experiencing hallucinations. And it seemed to have a good outcome - she isn't unecessarily drugged up to her eyeballs and she's back home with her family and going to school, like your average 14 year old.

The staff there seem really nice and warm. If only adult psych wards were like that.
This ^^

pb&banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #129
fragile as glass

I am currently:

I really hope this series highlights the shortcomings in adult mental health care. How many adult units would allow TV cameras in to see how they work?? Not many I guess or else they would have done it by now. Moving on from CAMHS sucked for me.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #130
AriaB

After a long time lurking this is my first post on here. I found the program really upsetting, mainly because it brought back a lot of horrid memories of my own time in hospital, but also because these young people will one day be adults- and they might not want their mental health history out there in the world then- and it will be too late. The girls who were sectioned, how could they possibly consent to being on the show if they can't make decisions for themselves according to the law?

Also.

Crystal. I think all her hallucinations are made up.When I was watching it I couldn't shake the feeling that it was dejavu. So I googled and remembered.. In 2009 Oprah had a little schizophrenic girl on her show called Jani, and Jani has the exact same hallucinations... 24, 7, rats etc.... (google 'oprah schizonphrenia Jani')

Also, it really bothers me that they're using Beth as their main girl. I guess it helps that she's pretty and bubbley. She seems sweet but it's so upsetting how much worse she got in there- which is always the case in adolescent units- like she learned how to be crazier there. I'm thinking the show wouldn't be as good for tv if they were focusing on the type of people found in the hospitals I was in...

AriaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #131
Revolving Door

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriaB View Post
Crystal. I think all her hallucinations are made up.When I was watching it I couldn't shake the feeling that it was dejavu. So I googled and remembered.. In 2009 Oprah had a little schizophrenic girl on her show called Jani, and Jani has the exact same hallucinations... 24, 7, rats etc.... (google 'oprah schizonphrenia Jani')
I thought this too! I said to my boyfriend, either she is faking or it is something that is typically seen in early onset schizophrenia. Though I have only really read about schizophrenia and know a few sufferers, it isn't the delusions I have read about in adult schizophrenia, hence why I think she was faking/or had been highly influenced by Oprah show. Jani had those delusions from a young age and maybe numbers were easier for her....I don't know!

Anyways, I may be completely wrong, just wanted to say I had a similar feeling!

Revolving Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #132
pixiedust_11

I am currently:

I also was immediately reminded of the little girl on Oprah, and how all of her hallucinations were called the same names too.

Do not be dismayed by the brokenness of the world. All things can be mended. Not with time, as they say, but with intention. So go. Love intentionally, extravagantly, unconditionally. The broken world awaits in darkness for the light that is you.

pixiedust_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #133
cloudedmind

I am currently:

That is bizarre. On the other hand, you have to wonder how likely it is she's seen that on Oprah, what with it aired in 2009 and the footage of Krystal being in 2011 (I think?) - by which time she AND her family claim she had already been seeing these people/animals for 6 years (that makes it 2005 ish?). It is interesting that they said her hallucinations were non-psychotic - aren't schizophrenics' hallucinations typically psychotic?

It's all fascinating but hard to watch. Also I'm not medically qualified in any way so I may be completely wrong haha

cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #134
Revolving Door

I am currently:

The psychiatrist was saying that she wasn't Schizophrenic or psychotic. That it was a defense mechanism to deal with what happened to her as a child. That she was going through a phase that is usually gone through as a toddler (imaginary friends). I don't know. I guess it is how things progress will determine if it is a psychosis or just a phase to deal with her life. And I would say it is a good thing that she wasn't place on antipsychotics and branded schizophrenic at that age - which is something that in the UK is good, we generally do wait till a person is 18 before diagnosing personality disorders, schizophrenia etc. I know that isn't always the case, but when there is a chance it isn't it is better they wait....

All very confusing....

Old 06-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #135
fragile as glass

I am currently:

Don't forget psycho-somatic disorder. It's a very real illness yet if you don't have an understanding of it you could easily brand it as fake.

I had psycho-somatic disorder where I was positive that my legs couldn't walk. Physically there was nothing wrong with my body at first but I would still crawl or drag myself down the corridors of the childrens ED unit I was in (I was 15) until they got me a wheelchair.

I was in it for 4 years and my leg muscles wasted away from the anorexia and not using my legs and I had real physical problems by then and I had to learn to walk again at the age of 19.

Don't be too hasty to judge, we don't know her full circumstances and what is fake to some people is very real to her. Anyway I digress..

Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #136
Revolving Door

I am currently:

^good point

Old 06-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #137
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

I didnt find the second episode as triggering as the first, even though they showed SI. I found Kristol very interesting, I thought she had schizophrenia because I suffer from psychosis too and see things when I am off the meds (which has been over 5 years since I have seen things). I wish they would treat me like that and not force meds upon me.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #138
Icecube. Swirls
Meera :-)

I am currently:

How many episodes are there?

“The only way that we can live is if we grow. The only way we can grow is if we change. The only way we can change is if we learn. The only way we can learn is if we are exposed. And the only way that we are exposed is if we throw ourselves into the open.”

Icecube. Swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #139
Icecube. Swirls
Meera :-)

I am currently:

I did get triggered but I was pleased that I actually watched it. I believe that it is a very good series to watch as it helps normal people to understand mental illness a bit more.

“The only way that we can live is if we grow. The only way we can grow is if we change. The only way we can change is if we learn. The only way we can learn is if we are exposed. And the only way that we are exposed is if we throw ourselves into the open.”

Icecube. Swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #140
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile as glass View Post
I really hope this series highlights the shortcomings in adult mental health care. How many adult units would allow TV cameras in to see how they work?? Not many I guess or else they would have done it by now. Moving on from CAMHS sucked for me.
As mentioned earlier there was a show last year that looked at an adult ward in Nottingham. The three people that were shown were males etc.

As soon as I saw Krystal I thought about Jani there were so many similarities I was a bit confused in that I didn't think she was making it up as she really seemed to struggle but I wondered if this was a common theme?

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)