RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 12-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #1
StevieMK

chatroom down?

Is the chatroom not online? When I try to connect via the 'chat' tab at the top it tells me website not found. I'm using up to date Firefox on a win10 computer.

StevieMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:05 PM   #2
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Chat room is no longer a part of the ryl site. The software used for the link at the top is outdated and no longer supported. The chat mods tried moving chat to an external server but it became difficult to police so the decision was made to shut chat down altogether.

See here
http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum...6&postcount=32

Last edited by not_so_insig : 12-12-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #3
dolphins218

I am currently:

I have found another one here: https://thegoodlimbo.com/forum/app.php/chat

Last edited by dolphins218 : 19-12-2018 at 11:57 AM.
dolphins218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
nonperson

I am currently:

What's with all the semi-secretive advertising for TGL?

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #5
nonperson

I am currently:

I didn't know there was some sort of drama that had already been modded on here. I don't need a link, I'm already a member of TGL so know all about it and the reasons for its creation, etc.

My question was simply because I didn't understand why members of TGL/old members of RYL, who clearly know all the reasons behind the new site/end of chat, were here going "Look at this new website I've just randomly stumbled across!" Just seemed a bit peculiar, that's all. Why lie about it?

Clearly there are other issues that I wasn't aware of. *shrug*

Old 21-12-2018, 12:06 AM   #6
FoolishLamb

I am currently:

I don't see any lies.

To err is human, to forgive divine
But I'm a woman's scorn so vengeance is mine.
Oh but I love you, I love you my dear.
I would go to hell just to keep you near
But I'm a woman's scorn so
live
in
fear.

FoolishLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 12:32 AM   #7
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Behind the scenes there were plans for a new site from maybe a year after this version was formed. It kept stalling.

Prior to 2015, staff here, including the supporters at the time, were in discussions about a new site - and how this might work. There were significant discussions between multiple staff members including the then Head of Forums and Head of Supporters and the chat team. There was difficulty in contacting the webmaster.

Either way - following lengthy discussions and planning - this stalled again, at which point I stepped down from the Supporters (and we disbanded the team shortly after) and stepped away from the site.

Some chat members following through with these plans under a new name.

Last edited by Aardbei : 24-12-2018 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Removed incorrect information

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 01:15 AM   #8
Kyaneos
Steph.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
Well the mods here keep deleting our posts about it, even though RYL is fading away, webmaster is AWOL and we have dedicated members who have put their own money into creating a new site - so people aren't completely lost when this place finally closes (or gets closed down for not being GDPR compliant)

A shame when you would hope mods of a MH site would see the bigger picture and try and support members rather than blindly following outdated rules that prevent people from seeking alternative help, especially since RYL lost chat (which a lot of people relied on)

So, in summary, PM me for the link if the above one gets removed. This website doesn't mention RYL, there are no slagging RYL threads or posts, so I can't see how it is actually breaking any rules!
This! I am actually really disappointed that this is happening, TGL is SO needed, given the current state of RYL which really won't be around for much longer. But what is also needed is RYL members! TGL was built partly to attempt to bring in new members but also partly to give the remaining members, who rely on RYL still and are lacking in support coz this place is dead, a place to go.

A LOT of money, time, mental, emotional and physical energy has gone into making this website a success, and its a damn good website! Created by two RYL members who have given up large chunks of their lives in the recent months to get this place running and off the ground, not to mention are PAYING for it!

This bizarre stand that is being taken to not band together as a unit, and to somehow show TGL as the kind of website that is against the RYL rules to make when it is actually COMPLETELY the opposite, is a REALLY poor way to repay them.

But, ultimately, its the remaining members on here who are being shielded from this information that are missing out on the peer support. Kind of defeats the whole objective of RYL, doesn't it, really?

Kyaneos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 01:22 AM   #9
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyaneos View Post
I really miss the Supporters and the team! And the drama of getting LiveHelp up and running! And sending 100+ emails a day!

Old 21-12-2018, 01:26 AM   #10
Muir
Chat Mod

I am currently:

While I appreciate people are trying to champion the site, to my knowledge, no one has suggested that it's against RYL rules. I am glad to see the effort that's gone into it is appreciated, and that people are enthusiastic, but all this posting and arguing does nothing to serve either website. I don't think it represents us well, and it wont make people here feel invited when all that seems evident is tension and bickering.

Everyone across both sites have their own struggles and need support. I think we should all remember that and be respectful of one another.

Muir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 01:26 AM   #11
Muir
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaiporia View Post
I really miss the Supporters and the team! And the drama of getting LiveHelp up and running! And sending 100+ emails a day!
Do you really though? =P

Muir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 01:30 AM   #12
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir View Post
Do you really though? =P
I mean, not the drama for sure!
But lots of wonderful people along the way.

Old 21-12-2018, 01:31 AM   #13
Kyaneos
Steph.

I am currently:

That wasnt the intention of what I said at all. However, I think people have a right to be upset about it.

I don't think it is representing TGL poorly, I actually think its the total opposite. I also feel these things do need to be said to bring some much needed perspective into the whole thing.

I am not arguing or bickering, I have said my piece, explained why I am disappointed and my point of view, and now I'm out.

ETA - no it hasnt been explicitly stated that its considered breaking RYL rules, but the deleted and edited posts suggest that that is the underlying reason.

Kyaneos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 02:39 AM   #14
nonperson

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins218 View Post
I have found another one here: https://thegoodlimbo.com/forum/app.php/chat
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywondering View Post
Yea that one is good ^
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishLamb View Post
I don't see any lies.

Argh. This is frustrating because regardless of everything else (which I don't disagree with at all btw) this is all I had a problem with, suggesting TGL is something that has been randomly stumbled across which is a complete lie. As someone who hasn't seen all the edited/deleted posts it just looked like some backhand advertising to me and I didn't understand why TGL members were doing it!

I'm not against what people have said above. "RYL is dying, etc, well done TGL." I'm sure when it comes to it all the remaining RYL members who want to move to TGL will do so. Word will get around.

To be honest I'm not sure why it wasn't just explained properly from the start when it was announced that chat wasn't going to be associated with RYL any more. *shrug*

Anyway, I'm waffling now...

Old 21-12-2018, 03:37 AM   #15
FoolishLamb

I am currently:

I still don't see any lies in those statements, at all. Are you ok?

live
in
fear.

Old 21-12-2018, 03:41 AM   #16
FoolishLamb

I am currently:

Do you not think she found it, or that Sarah thinks it's good? Why else would they be there? I think you're very confused.

live
in
fear.

Old 21-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #17
Aardbei
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir View Post
While I appreciate people are trying to champion the site, to my knowledge, no one has suggested that it's against RYL rules. I am glad to see the effort that's gone into it is appreciated, and that people are enthusiastic, but all this posting and arguing does nothing to serve either website. I don't think it represents us well, and it wont make people here feel invited when all that seems evident is tension and bickering.

Everyone across both sites have their own struggles and need support. I think we should all remember that and be respectful of one another.
Said it far more eloquently than I could!

Aardbei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #18
nonperson

I am currently:

[deleted]

Last edited by nonperson : 21-12-2018 at 05:16 PM. Reason: moderating my own comment - none of this needs to be said any more
Old 24-12-2018, 12:12 AM   #19
Aardbei
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Please read this guys:
http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum....php?p=4205377

This is the facts as opposed to guesses people have made about intentions of staff teams or suggestions of tension. Apologies if this has been confusing for anyone.

Aardbei is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)