RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 03-12-2017, 11:24 PM   #1
manic_felinemistress

I am currently:
ASD?

I was diagnosed with Aspergers back in 2005, and all of my psychiatrists since then have agreed with this diagnosis with the additional diagnosis including bipolar 1 and possibly PTSD.

I got a new psychiatrist recently and he said that he doesn't think I have aspergers, that I have...

A thought disorder, social phobia, and synesthesia...

(In addition to the bipolar 1 and PTSD)

which makes it LOOK like I have aspergers. I've asked him before to explain this using the argument, "Isn't a thought disorder part of the diagnosis for autism?" And similar questions.

I'd just like some feedback on this because it's very confusing to me. Especially since it's been with me so long it feels part of my identity, but also I've received accommodations through school and college my entire life for it which was my first concern. I asked him about that and he said, "Oh don't worry I'll tell your college you have ASD for accommodations, they wouldn't understand the difference. But you are in need of accommodations similar to someone with autism"

I was just wondering if anyone knows some information about this breakdown or have been diagnosed with any of those disorders.

Last edited by manic_felinemistress : 03-12-2017 at 11:33 PM.
manic_felinemistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
Juella
Valerie

I am currently:

Hey. I understand that it's confusing for you, but I hope you do understand that you are who you are, no matter what diagnosis says, and it doesn't really matter in regards to your identity. You're still you.

Not sure about the whole accomodations thing (where I live that's simply not a thing), but I believe that if your doctor tells you you will receive the same accomodations, that's probably the case.

I had a bit of an opposite situation. I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder and received therapy for it (which wasn't helpful), and then someone unearthed my old records and found out I was diagnosed with autism as a young child. I was reassesed, and my doctor then agreed that I'm indeed autistic. My therapist's reaction was "Well, that's unfortunate, nothing can be done about you then". Social anxiety and autism can manifest in similar ways, but have different underlying reasons. Good news (for you) is that social anxiety can be treated and helped with therapy and medications, and autism symptoms...well, they can be helped somewhat, but for the most part you just got to roll with it and learn to live with them. Have you been offered any sort of a treatment for your social phobia?

I have never experienced synesthesia, so I can't say much on that matter, but I also did have a term "thought disorder" attached to me, after I suffered brain damage. As far as I know it is not a condition, but a symptom that also has both many forms and many causes.

Can you talk to your new psychiatrist about those new diagnoses?

Juella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:34 AM   #3
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it

I am currently:

I've got no advice for you on the diagnoses bit. However I think talking with your psychiatrist specifically about what accomodations and treatments might help you is useful regardless.

this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.

PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie

PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #4
Rudy

I was diagnosed with Autism and it really just should be called vaccine damage. But many people diagnosed with other things could be called vaccine damaged as well.

Edit: won't let me post again but it was actually proven that the specific study you were talking about was false, it was not proven that vaccines don't cause autism.

Last edited by Rudy : 30-12-2017 at 03:52 AM.
Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 12:38 AM   #5
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Actually Rudy it's been proved that no vaccine causes autism. It's a myth. What you are trying to do is spread fear by saying that your autism is caused by a vaccine. The benefits of having any vaccine is far better than not having it. Not just mmr but any vaccine. The doctor who first suggested is was proven to have faked results and was struck off.

The causes of autism is currently unknown but it's scientically proven that the mmr vaccine doesn't cause it. It's best to check facts before you post online.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)