RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 20-10-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
SadGirl55

Pap Smear & Birth Control

Do u have to get a pap smear done in order to get on birth control??
Why or Why not??

Old 20-10-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
akita

I am currently:

Ive been on and off the pill since I was 14 and have never had a pap smear done to be put on it.

Old 20-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Kelly.

You don't (I didn't anyway). But my doctor had it on the system that I'd ignored letters and hadn't had one so he did make an appointment for a few weeks later for me to have a smear. I would never have made the appointment myself but he rang the receptionist without asking so didn't have much choice.

Are you worried about having a smear? Because it isn't that bad at all. I was so worried, I really didn't want to get it done. But I'm glad I did. Everything was normal but it made me realise how important it is and how much of a non-issue it was. It wasn't scary at all. The nurse was lovely. She showed me what she was going to do then just got on with it and we talked about random stuff. Obviously I knew she was doing it but it wasn't as much as an issue as I'd made it out to be in my head. Was all over in probably under a minute, not much more than that anyway. And I definitely won't put off making an appointment for my next one.

Ermm rambled sorry.

Old 20-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
SadGirl55

How could your doctor make u an appointment to have one done in a few weeks without your permission??

I'm not scared or worried to have one done I have had them done before but they hurt me to much I can't ever relax during them & I alway's tense up during them
I try my hardest to relax & not tense up but it doesn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly. View Post
You don't (I didn't anyway). But my doctor had it on the system that I'd ignored letters and hadn't had one so he did make an appointment for a few weeks later for me to have a smear. I would never have made the appointment myself but he rang the receptionist without asking so didn't have much choice.

Are you worried about having a smear? Because it isn't that bad at all. I was so worried, I really didn't want to get it done. But I'm glad I did. Everything was normal but it made me realise how important it is and how much of a non-issue it was. It wasn't scary at all. The nurse was lovely. She showed me what she was going to do then just got on with it and we talked about random stuff. Obviously I knew she was doing it but it wasn't as much as an issue as I'd made it out to be in my head. Was all over in probably under a minute, not much more than that anyway. And I definitely won't put off making an appointment for my next one.

Ermm rambled sorry.

Old 20-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Embles

I am currently:

Theres an amazing invention called Google. Just saying.

We’ve got obsessions
I want to erase every nasty thought that bugs me every day of every week
We’ve got obsessions
You never tell me what it is that makes you strong and what it is that makes you weak.

Old 20-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
SadGirl55

Some people say u have to & some people say u dont.So I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Birds View Post
Theres an amazing invention called Google. Just saying.

Old 20-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

Ask your doctor, he/she will know.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Old 20-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
x_broken_hearted_x

I am currently:

no you dont have to get one done if going on birth control. you get them anyway and have had them so it shouldnt be a problem if you have get one if you go onto birth control anyway... you only get one when your due one that means every year or some cases every 5 years. yes there uncomfortable but it only takes seconds to do, stick in headphones and try to forget about it, just focus on something esle. tell the nurse your uncomfortable. it does not take long and is not sore or really should not be sore

<3 <3 <3 Love you with all my heart baby girl. I miss you so much 21/11/11 RIP beautiful

Old 20-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
x_broken_hearted_x

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadGirl55 View Post
How could your doctor make u an appointment to have one done in a few weeks without your permission??

I'm not scared or worried to have one done I have had them done before but they hurt me to much I can't ever relax during them & I alway's tense up during them
1st question--- maybe because she had abnormal results before or had history of cervical cancer. if the gp makes an appointment you dont have to go by law, yes they send letters out but its up to the individual to go or not

does it really hurt?? ask the nurse to use more lubrication because it really should not hurt, tbh i got told when i went for mines it just felt like a penis being inserted... tell the nurse it hurt you, and she may need to use more lubrication if your dry. (sorry for ermm in depth detail) it should not hurt though, and as i say its over in a second

<3 <3 <3 Love you with all my heart baby girl. I miss you so much 21/11/11 RIP beautiful

Old 20-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
All I know is falling.

If you're in the United States, yes you have to get a pap smear and full exam before they will let you go on birth control. In England, it's different though.

You have one to make sure you're in healthy shape before you go on it, and besides that it's also an early screening to test you for cervical cancer. As well as this, you have to get one every year in order to refill your prescription (they give you one for 12 months, when it runs out, you have to have another exam.)

Old 20-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #11
SadGirl55

Why do u have to have to get a pap smear done in the United States to get on birth control & u don't have to get one done in the UK to get on birth control??
Thats messed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStripes. View Post
If you're in the United States, yes you have to get a pap smear and full exam before they will let you go on birth control. In England, it's different though.

You have one to make sure you're in healthy shape before you go on it, and besides that it's also an early screening to test you for cervical cancer. As well as this, you have to get one every year in order to refill your prescription (they give you one for 12 months, when it runs out, you have to have another exam.)

Old 20-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #12
x_broken_hearted_x

I am currently:

Quote:
Why do u have to have to get a pap smear done in the United States to get on birth control & u don't have to get one done in the UK to get on birth control??
Thats messed up
different laws i suppose....

Old 21-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #13
All I know is falling.

Why is it messed up? Are you scared of getting one? If you are, it's really not that bad.

Old 21-10-2010, 02:33 AM   #14
SadGirl55

It just is because I hate getting them done they hurt me so bad
If they didn't hurt so much I wouldn't mind getting them done
I wish they would numb me before doing the test on me.

Quote:
Why is it messed up? Are you scared of getting one? If you are, it's really not that bad.

Old 21-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #15
x_broken_hearted_x

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_tears_will_flow_x View Post
ask the nurse to use more lubrication because it really should not hurt, tbh i got told when i went for mines it just felt like a penis being inserted... tell the nurse it hurt you, and she may need to use more lubrication if your dry. (sorry for ermm in depth detail) it should not hurt though, and as i say its over in a second

this^^^ TALK to your nurse EXPLAIN that it hurts and she can help you be more comfortable

Old 21-10-2010, 03:58 AM   #16
Greyscale
Chat Mod

Quote:

I don't think that's true actually. I'm in the US and on birth control and haven't had one..

Old 21-10-2010, 04:11 AM   #17
All I know is falling.

Maybe it's just where I live then? I was told that I couldn't go on it without a exam. Ah well.

Old 21-10-2010, 05:29 AM   #18
SadGirl55

My doctor who does the pap smear knows that it hurts me alot cause I say ouch thru out the whole thing & she just tells me to relax during it when I keep saying ouch But I can't seem to relax no matter what

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_tears_will_flow_x View Post
this^^^ TALK to your nurse EXPLAIN that it hurts and she can help you be more comfortable

Old 21-10-2010, 05:30 AM   #19
SadGirl55

I guess it just depends on the doctor or the clinic then??

Quote:
Maybe it's just where I live then? I was told that I couldn't go on it without a exam. Ah well.

Old 21-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #20
Kelly.

Quote:

Well obviously if I really didn't want it done I could have just cancelled the appointment. But having someone actually make the appointment for me was good because that seemed to be the hardest part for me. And my mum and sister had cervical cancer, don't know if that was a reason too. But I'm so glad he did make an appointment. When I got the letter saying I'm all fine was brilliant, especially knowing what my mum and sister went through.

I thought it would hurt loads but it didn't but I do understand that it hurts some people more than others, maybe if you're tense? I don't know. But I would much rather go through the pain of having a smear which takes a few minutes at the most than go through cervical cancer.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)