RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
.hb

Triggering (SI) - Self-harm and drug abuse. compare/contrast?

This is a subject I haven't seen discussed much before but was brought up last night in a discussion with my boyfriend. He enjoys cocaine and sees it as no different at all to self-harm (I have been cutting for 7 years and he used to as well), and I'd like to hear some of your views on this.

His arguments seem to be based around the facts that cutting is very, very addictive and is a slippery slope - I think you'd all agree that, even though you may start with a few cuts on a wrist, it quickly spreads to arms, legs, deeper cuts, etc etc. When we started going out (about 3 months ago, although we have been close friends for many years) he knew I was concerned about the coke and as he also wanted to stop doing it regularly, so he asked me to help him stop. I myself pretty much stopped cutting when I was around 16 (now 20), save for the odd relapse. I have started cutting again recently and this upsets him greatly - I think he is largely upset because he has pretty much stopped doing coke whilst my attitude to stopping cutting is that I have been gradually recovering over the past four years and I know that there will be a day when I no longer need it.

Is cutting really that similar to drug abuse? The more I think about it, the more similarities I see between his using cocaine and my cutting. I must also point out that he does not generally use coke the way you may think - I get the impression that it's more a late-night on-his-own sort of thing as opposed to a sociable, party thing. It tends to chill him out more than it does make him chatty and talkative, in the same way that I cut on my own and to make me feel 'better'.

I'd be interested to hear some thoughts or any advice here. I can quickly see this turning into a destructive relationship if something isn't carefully worked out - "but you did coke last night so you have no right to tell me not to cut"... and this is another problem - I am feeling more and more like I have no leg to stand on at all when I'm telling him I don't like him using coke when I myself am not making a conscious effort to stop cutting.

Arg.

.hb is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 02-03-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
~*forever_broken*~
You should just give up on me. I would.

I am currently:

Actually self harm has many times been compared to drug addiction, or any addiction for that matter. It probably doesn't start out as that but eventually one of the reasons it can be so hard to quit is because of the adrenalin rush it gives.

I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
~ Marilyn Monroe

~*forever_broken*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
blondiebear
Bringing back the lost art of Sewing

I am currently:

At the risk of being a flake, there is a bit of a thread about this on the substance abuse forum. I don't remember exactly what I said there but you might want to read that.

sorry i don't have the energy to type a coherent answer right now.

I'm an alcoholic in recovery and a self injurer who has been free for 13 months. pm me if you want to talk about it.

Susan

My husband is my best friend.

In forgiving others, we are not exonerating them. They may not deserve exoneration. Rather, in forgiving others we are giving up our anger over the fact that what happened is not what "should" have happened or that our life is not the way it "should" have been.

blondiebear is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)