RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
earthbound_misfit
a soul in tension that's learning to fly

I am currently:
Therapysupport in Newcastle?

Can anyone recommend a therapist in Newcastle or how I could go about getting one?
I saw a private therapist for a few sessions 6 or 7 years ago, and it seemed she just wanted me to ramble on while she collected money for it. The time I have spent in/around mental health services who were, frankly, abusive means that I am considerably more 'traumatised' than before so I obviously don't want someone who's gonna just eat up my money and not get anywhere.
Also I am concerned about them being too much the other way - ie. just all that 'changing behavoirs' claptrap with no understanding that I'm hurting so much inside. Not that I'm against CBT etc as such, just that I don't really have any 'behavoirs' as such that are problematic - it's just my feelings that are crippling (I only SI very rarely now, and to stop me doing something worse).
My current diagnosis is (I think!) severe depression, anxiety, with traits of BPD. I would argue the 'traits of BPD' as they are things like asking for help=attention seeking etc. (When I gave up asking for help, they added 'traits of avoidant pd' so you just can't win, can you...?!) I only mention this as I don't think an accusatory, behavoiral approach is going to be appropriate, as I am severely depressed and generally do not leave my bed at the moment.
I am also slipping into catatonia at points and generally dissociating a lot as I feel so trapped, hopeless and desperate, but cannot kill myself as I can't leave my lovely boyfriend like that.
Anyway I have been offered help to pay for therapy but it can't be really expensive or anything (up to £50 a session). I can use DLA to get there (taxi) too.
Also is there any way of getting some support from the NHS? Dr, crisis team, etc all know but removed my CPN randomly before I'd got much better, now i's much worse again and they just won't help me.
Any advice appreciated
B x

"I have a room for life at the home for the chronically groovy!" - Sgt Floyd Pepper

earthbound_misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 12-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
when.will.it.end
{Katie}

I am currently:

I can't give you advice about NHS services in Newcastle but have you heard of Northern Guild? It's a private practice where a number of different therapists work. I think it's in your price range. I saw a therapist once there who was good. They give you an assessment first and then allocate you to someone you would be best suited to. There's also Streetwise in town which offer counselling to young people for free. I think it's under 25. But you might find that's more general and not as appropriate as therapy.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world;
its the only thing that ever does.

when.will.it.end is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Mrs Sam
Nothing Special

I am currently:

Also try newcastle Cbt centre (know you said no to Cbt but they offer other stuff I think too). They do both NHS and private. It's in carliol square. I've seen a few people there all who have been good.

There's also a place in Jesmond that does stuff like mindfulness. One of the women I saw worked at both places.

Something Special.

Mrs Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

If you don't want CBT or behavioural type therapies what would you like? You didn't say?

Also are you on meds because they might help.

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
earthbound_misfit
a soul in tension that's learning to fly

I am currently:

Thanks for the replies - I'll check out those places. :) xx

"I have a room for life at the home for the chronically groovy!" - Sgt Floyd Pepper

earthbound_misfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)