Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 05-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
Helious
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:
RYL Chat?

Does anybody else think RYL chat should be suspended for a week or so to let things cool off? There's more damage than healing being thrown around in there. It's a drama station in my opinion. We have grown adults acting like children.. People not asking for help or support so much as just crying for attention. And a lot of rules being broken every night.- *This is just my opinion and should in no way offend anybody*

Helious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
Antebellum
Welcome To Reality

I am currently:

I personally very rarely use chat. When I used the site around 2004 I never went in their either.

I understand where your coming from with the rule breaking and it causing more damage than good (at times) but I'm not sure it should be suspended...

It is extremely hard to moderate chat rooms on any site. The mods on RYL do a brilliant job and we have to remember that they are volunteering their time!!!

Perhaps chat should be thought about but I'd be unsure how to resolve the issues.

'It's Gotta Get Bad Before It Gets Good'

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This Is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
Cazki
14/6/2007 -

I am currently:

I do agree i have been on chat all week in room 4 i think it is and there have been about four arguments this week. The thing is though you will always get rudeness and arguments no matter where you go. As for what can be done i dont know.

14/06/2007 -

Cazki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #4
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

If you see rules being broken, save the chat log and send it to the chat mods, who should deal with it.

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
JaffaCake.

Don't close chat for a week, that's a stupid idea.. IMHO.
Chat is the best thing, evahh. And you're going to get arguements wherever you go that are going to be uncomfortable and awkward for some people. Just because it's a bunch of crazies arguing doesn't make it anymore unacceptable.

Leave chat alone.
If you can't beat 'em, may as well join 'em.

JaffaCake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #6
Gone.

There are always arguments in chat. I don't know what the answer is, to be perfectly honest. It does appear to have become a more heated atmosphere in the time I have joined RYL. So yeah, not sure of the solution but I do think that if it is left then issues will be more difficult to resolve.

These types of thread do pop up continuously.

Left.

Gone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
Emmabob.

I am currently:

youre gonna get arguments on chat.
youre gonna get arguments on forums.
it wouldnt work out

Emmabob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
Helious

I am currently:

Lol I just think it would be a good idea to close it for a week or so. It will give people time to cool off. Spending so much time with the same people will get to anybody, and it's happening lately. Tolerance is gone in chat, people say whatever they want with no regards towards anybody else. And not everybody is being reported for it. So I think it'll work kind of like a time out does. Then when it's back on people should be reminded of the rules of chat. Not to mention i'm sure the Mods could use a break away from it themselves..

Helious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
Keyboard Warrior

I am currently:

These threads never end well.

Keyboard Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #10
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

Hello,

Whilst I understand your concerns and realise that the suggestion comes from a good place, I personally think that shutting RYL chat wont solve the problems in chat. The issues that are in chat need to be faced head on and all members that use chat must taken responsibility for their actions.

Chat is a fast moving and live area of RYL, this makes it very difficult to determine what kind of situations will arise. It also makes it seem as if it is the most problematic area of RYL, because if no moderators are in chat then it cannot really be sorted unless a log is sent in. The reason some people may not be being dealt with is because we have no evidence, so if you see any problems in chat then please do save a log and send it into us. We take every log sent and work through them to solve issues in chat.

Obviously I am passionate about chat, its one of my favourite places on RYL, although as a moderator it can be difficult to see the positives. What I would say is that the most disheartening thing about chat is having to tell members who are in chat every day to stop breaking the rules. If you know the rules you should stick to them, regardless of whatever sort of time youre going through. The rules are there for a reason.

I have also noticed that chat moderators will be ignored when asking members to not break the rules, this is completely disrespectful. Moderators have feelings too and to be continously ignored isnt the best feeling in the world, maybe thats something to think about too.

I would also implore members of chat to cut the chat mods some slack at the moment. There are not as many chat mods at the moment as there should be, this is through no fault of our own. We try to be in chat as often as possible, but we all have lives to lead too. This is why we need logs to be sent in and we also need some patience at the moment. Hopefully this will be solved soon, but until then were kind of running on half power at the moment, so it would be great if people kept this in mind.

Chat is a valuable resource for many people, it can be beneficial and I know that people who go into chat usually have very positive things to say most of the time. But chat is also a priviledge and its something that doesnt have to be a part of this site.

People need to be responsible for themselves, if someone is ignoring you, put them on ignore, if someone is flaming you, report it. The whole of chat should never have to suffer because of a minority.

I know this is long and many people dont read it, but I hope I speak some sense and that its something that isnt just my feelings.

Liv.
Head of Chat :) x

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
My spoken words.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #11
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

I don't think chat should be closed- that would punish those who do not break the rules, or, those who use it for support and really need it. I think instead of closing chat, people need to respect the moderators, report logs, and put people on ignore who are causing problems. Ignoring them is incredibly powerful.

Liv has said some very wise words.

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:16 AM   #12
akita

I am currently:

the moderators need to respect people as well.

akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #13
breezymcpeazy

I am currently:

i was in some of the chats last night and a few were getting out of hand and i tried to disperse some it, i hope i didnt step on any toes but i just want everyone to feel comfortable in the chats. next time ill make sure to save chats if they get out of hand

would it be possible to have like volunteer chat mods to help control things? it might take some pressure off you mods a bit. just a thought

breezymcpeazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
The One Who

I am currently:

I don't see what closing it will achieve. Just means the same thing will happen in a week's time. If you see rule-breaking then save the chat log and report it to one of the moderators.

However, since Chat is a real-time, text-based system it can be difficult to gauge both context and tone. What I read as banter someone else may read differently.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

Andrea- I like to think all of the chat mods are respectful, however if you feel someone is not then please feel free to PM me about it and I will see what can be done about it. If its about me then you would have to go to Harley.

breezey-you'll find that some people in chat dont take kindly to members acting in the same kind of way as mods, its good that people listened to you then, but for future reference that doesnt always work. The big problem with volunteer mods is that they would need powers in chat, which we cant just give to members and chat mods need to be chosen carefully. I have chat mods set up to add to the team but cannot add at the moment, hopefully that'll be sorted soon.

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
My spoken words.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #16
intrudermoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flik Flak View Post
the moderators need to respect people as well.

intrudermoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #17
Emmabob.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
I don't see what closing it will achieve. Just means the same thing will happen in a week's time
couldnt agree more.

Emmabob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #18
akita

I am currently:

It's not about you Liv, you're one of the nice mods.

akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #19
Pops.
I'm just me.

I am currently:

Don't you dare close Chat. o.O

Pops. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #20
Pops.
I'm just me.

I am currently:

But on a more serious note, I agree with Liv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griddlebone View Post
Hello,

Whilst I understand your concerns and realise that the suggestion comes from a good place, I personally think that shutting RYL chat wont solve the problems in chat. The issues that are in chat need to be faced head on and all members that use chat must taken responsibility for their actions.

Chat is a fast moving and live area of RYL, this makes it very difficult to determine what kind of situations will arise. It also makes it seem as if it is the most problematic area of RYL, because if no moderators are in chat then it cannot really be sorted unless a log is sent in. The reason some people may not be being dealt with is because we have no evidence, so if you see any problems in chat then please do save a log and send it into us. We take every log sent and work through them to solve issues in chat.

Obviously I am passionate about chat, its one of my favourite places on RYL, although as a moderator it can be difficult to see the positives. What I would say is that the most disheartening thing about chat is having to tell members who are in chat every day to stop breaking the rules. If you know the rules you should stick to them, regardless of whatever sort of time youre going through. The rules are there for a reason.

I have also noticed that chat moderators will be ignored when asking members to not break the rules, this is completely disrespectful. Moderators have feelings too and to be continously ignored isnt the best feeling in the world, maybe thats something to think about too.

I would also implore members of chat to cut the chat mods some slack at the moment. There are not as many chat mods at the moment as there should be, this is through no fault of our own. We try to be in chat as often as possible, but we all have lives to lead too. This is why we need logs to be sent in and we also need some patience at the moment. Hopefully this will be solved soon, but until then were kind of running on half power at the moment, so it would be great if people kept this in mind.

Chat is a valuable resource for many people, it can be beneficial and I know that people who go into chat usually have very positive things to say most of the time. But chat is also a priviledge and its something that doesnt have to be a part of this site.

People need to be responsible for themselves, if someone is ignoring you, put them on ignore, if someone is flaming you, report it. The whole of chat should never have to suffer because of a minority.

I know this is long and many people dont read it, but I hope I speak some sense and that its something that isnt just my feelings.

Liv.
Head of Chat :) x

Pops. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)