Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 25-03-2015, 11:25 PM   #1
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:
Voting on quiet board take two

Option One for General Boards

Merge general chat, introductions, news and debate and reviews and recommendations.

Keep f and cq, creative corner and fun and distraction as they are.

Option Two for General Boards

1) Intros
2) a) General Chat, News & Debate - merged
2) b) F&D as a sub-forum - as it is still spammed quite a bit to keep people busy, and that at the top of General wouldn't help with lack of community/conversation
3) Reviews & Recs and Creative - merged, new sub title
4) FC&Q - I still feel like it holds a weight of importance that warrants its own forum, regardless of activity levels

Option for Support Boards

One board for eating issues
One board for self injury/harm
One board for serious
One board for GSA
One board for mental health
R and v kept as is
A and b kept
Pictures
Events

The Moving Forward Boardcreated a lot of debate so can you please vote for your preference. This is either keeping it as it is so there is one positive board across the forum OR merge it into existing boards as positive stories should have a spread throughout RYL, and not be concentrated in a place people just aren't likely to visit often if they're in a bad place.

Veterans Boards again there was a lot of debate here. So the two Vets boards can be left as they are. They can be merged into one as was the case in the past so support and chat boards mingled alongside one another. They are gotten rid of as it's seen that RYL attracts a much older member these days so separating is no longer so relevant.

The First Aid Board is a separate discussion so will be left out of voting.

The Research and Media board is being trialled so will be kept separate for now

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 02:34 AM   #2
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Great :)
Thanks mods and those who came up with the suggestions!

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

I think it might be helpful to post links or an announcement type thingy in other boards to increase input. There's probably a good few members who are not aware of this that would like to have a say.

Would that be possible to do for the mods?

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #4
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

I was going to do an announcement but thought I'd wait a few days so people read it as I'm aware the last announcement has just ended.

Dash from a mods perspective I think it would depend on where it was best suited. With fewer boards it does mean some posts may not have a natural home but all posts are likely to fit somewhere does that make sense?

Eg some trauma posts will be fab in a and b, but some might be mental health or GSA or serious.

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen

Old 28-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Bump !

Old 28-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

I voted for keeping moving forward as is because I would be incredibly upset if my thread was deleted. I did ask the question when we were discussing it if it was going to be deleted, but nobody answered my question. I keep it regularly updated and I would like to update it until I reach 4 years in June.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
The Stranger Stranger
Just jacob

I am currently:

When will these changes be enacted? Kinda want to brace myself before things get rearranged.

The Stranger Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #8
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

It would be nice if threads could be merged into other forums - sometimes I do a search of , say moving forward, to see how far I've come. I know it wouldn't be easy but might be something we logistically should think about.

Old 28-03-2015, 09:36 PM   #9
Tig

Quote:
Originally Posted by insignificant_one View Post
I voted for keeping moving forward as is because I would be incredibly upset if my thread was deleted. I did ask the question when we were discussing it if it was going to be deleted, but nobody answered my question. I keep it regularly updated and I would like to update it until I reach 4 years in June.
I can't say 100% because it's not just up to me but I really can't imagine we would delete posts. Especially posts such as yours which is active and you are getting something from it.

It would be horrible to delete something like that so please don't worry.

Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #10
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Yes I wouldn't be deleting any posts

As to how long this takes well it's not going to happen overnight as it will be a huge piece of work so would have to be done gradually moving active threads out of boards etc.

Old 30-03-2015, 09:45 PM   #11
Iamcatbug
Cat

Bump!

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 01:15 AM   #12
Isoverity

I am currently:

Some good options there..

On the whole, I always liked a separate Intro forum. People find it easier to post there. Don't need to sort through a dozen (often vague) rules. Met some good people via that forum (Ruin had one too). Intro board should be used more.

Support boards are a stickier wicket. "Serious" could take on a lot. Break up all the "woe, I give up" threads.

Its good to have ED board. Them's some of my fav peeps and they have their own issue orientation. Which is why I would make a distinct firewall between EDs and other forums.

The SI etc forums were always more expansive - with people opening up. The ED forum is often about closing down - lots of "don'ts" (don't say this, don't say that, don't post this, don't post that etc). Many of the "don'ts" are over some pretty obscure things (photo parts, numbers, words etc).

All the don'ts in ED filtered into the other forums and there was suffocation. I know for a fact many informative studies, articles etc were missed because of certain excruciating filters that keep things out that VAST majority of people had no issue with (I know because RYL was like that for the years before the cascade of rules). So I would say keep ED strict and let the other things breathe.

As I've said before, I like idea of old "Anything Goes" forum (as with Ruin). It still had basic firewalls (no insults etc etc) but wasn't as pigeon holed and screwed down.

People should be encouraged to prod and search. Ruin, RYL V2 was like that (for most part). Then all the training wheels, knee pads, bubble wrap, helmets and warning flares were sent around. An immune system needs pathogens to grow. Too much sterilisation causes more sickness. All the rules, points, behavior menus came around as RYL lost control. Now its closer to dead than out of control. Its probably too late. Not to be negative lol

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #13
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post
People should be encouraged to prod and search. Ruin, RYL V2 was like that (for most part). Then all the training wheels, knee pads, bubble wrap, helmets and warning flares were sent around. An immune system needs pathogens to grow. Too much sterilisation causes more sickness. All the rules, points, behavior menus came around as RYL lost control. Now its closer to dead than out of control.
Agreed!

EyelinerAndCigarettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:11 PM   #14
Abintra
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

why change? Okay personally I don't get on here much anymore but merging threads is insane, getting rid of vets is retarded. Why change, ryl is on life support anyways

To whom I may offend,
hahahahaha
Yours faithfully the monkeys arse

Abintra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:30 AM   #15
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Because change will be good for the community, and especially those of us who believe RYL still has things to offer and want to put the effort in to keeping it going.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:32 AM   #16
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Agreed.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #17
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

I won't give up till the fat lady sings and as I am a fat lady and I can't sing it will be a long time away :P

Right in other news this has been open for several weeks. The vote has stagnated at 70 odd members. It is also a fairly big majority for most of the boards so I think we have our decisions.

I am going to publicise the new boards and work up an action plan to begin to merge them as looking at my log ins I think this has to be done manually (eek!)

Old 15-04-2015, 10:55 PM   #18
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Please see!

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)