RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
craola
Clouds In My Coffee.

I am currently:
Films, Films, Films.

I own 430 DVDs at the moment and I'm forbidden to buy any new films until after Christmas which is fair enough but its incredibly hard!!

I spend a lot of time researching and reading up on films etc
But I have no one to talk to or obsess over films with.
So!

Welcome to the room of films!
Where any movie no matter how good or bad it is can be discussed.
Please help keep me sane!

At the moment I'm really interested in American History X, it really intrigues me and the reviews are incredible, the plot sounds incredible, Edward Norton's in it who obviously is amazing and he was nominated for an Oscar, apparently his performance is near on perfect. I'm desperate to see it, however its meant to be one of the most violent films (excluding all the so called 'snuff moves' and the rubbish B movies) and so im wondering how violent 'violent' is. Anyone seen it and able to compare it to any films for me?

My to 'To Buy' list is a couple of hundred films long, its going to take me years to get them all, I just adore researching.

craola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
craola
Clouds In My Coffee.

I am currently:

I dont know because I haven't seen it :P

I haven't seen Audition.
Ok, so I'm 19, but because I have problems (blahblahblah) my mum doesn't like me to watch- anything about the devil or torture.
I've gotten around everything so far but not those two so far which kinda means no Audition, one day though. How bad actually is it? Im not into violence for the sake of violence, films like Saw or Hostel are of no interest to me, Battle Royale- now that is beauty, not pointless. Love that film. I really enjoyed House of Flying Daggers and Hero but not enough to buy them, I don't know why though, I can't put my finger on it.

I love Alien, haven't seen Aliens actually, can't think why, its on the list but that doesn't mean much, I mean what isn't *sigh* :P

Im so annoyed at the moment that they are remaking EVERYTHING its like they cant come up with anything new, today I found The Incredible Shrinking Man, an awesome looking film from 1957 and they are doing a remake next year! What rubbish.

Oh oh I love The Wickerman, its the best, best BEST. Love it.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
autosuggestion
magic emily

AMERICAN HISTORY X, that's one of my favourite films ever.

Yes yes yes. BUY it. All of you. It's so thought-provoking and just wow. And it's actually two-sided, not just like: skinheads are stupid and bad. The people are actually really intelligent.

Yays!

autosuggestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
DaisyStar

I am currently:

A few weeks ago I was totally recommend to watch American History X (and especially since Edward Norton's in it) but I'd forgotten until I read your post.
Personally love horror and 'violent' films. Battle Royale, now that is love, when I first bought it I wacthed it eveyr day for a fortnight, my friends thought I was insane.

No more sinister than saint

Clicky ->

DaisyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
PixieHope.

I am currently:

Aimeeeee, what a fantastical idea :)

I own a lot of dvds, not sure how many but it's not as many as yours! But since being at uni I've been limited to watching the same 30 dvds :( well I've watched ones of my boyfriends but it sucks having so few at uni cos I have random urges to watch films but can't cos they're at home.

East Asian horror films I love; Audition I didn't find too bad, Battle Royale I love to death (ha!) but I thought Battle Royale Two was too long, they could've shortened it me thinks.

I also love 80s films: Flashdance, Footloose, Pretty in Pink, Breakfast Club etc.

Aaaah I love films, my boyfriend thinks I'm mad.

Has anyone seen Pans Labyrinth? That is simply amazing and I adore it.

And you say I only hear what I want to.

PixieHope. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
craola
Clouds In My Coffee.

I am currently:

Ok, so we have established that American X is good (which I already knew!!!) I need to know how violent it is! I need it compared to another movie violence wise pleeeeease.

Eeee I got me a Katie!!
How 'bad' is Audition compared to say Battle Royale? I still haven't gotten or seen A Tale Of Two Sisters!! I think its on the list though *checks* Yups.

Pans Labrynth I adore, I can (and do) watch it over and over, I want to watch some more of Guillermo del Toros films to see if they are as beautiful, I'd like to see The Devils Backbone.

80's films are the best!!!
Eeee I love them, also musicals. Yes. I also have a lot of Disney films, a lot of James Bond and all the Studio Ghibli films.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
PixieHope.

I am currently:

A Tale of Two Sisters is immensely good. If you lived near me you could've borrowed mine but alas you don't :(
Audition is more about torture than Battle Royale, it is a bit ew at times but as citizens of today's world I feel it's nothing we've seen before. But I could be wrong as it's been a few months since I've seen it!

I've not seen American History X but after looking on trusty imdb and looked at the plot keywords it looks pretty gross! Plus it's about Nazi's and anything about Nazi's I don't like watching.

The Devils Backbone looks to be along the same lines sort of as Pans Labyrinth... set in Franco's Spain near the end of the Civil War. But I must say some bits of Pans Labyrinth made me go 'ew' at it, I think Devils Backbone is like that too.

Ahh yes musicals, I love a bit of musicals myself.

My boyfriend loves the Studio Ghibli films but I've only seen Spirited Away but he was so excited that I'd not only heard of them but owned one and loved it he talked rather excitedly about them for about half an hour lol.

Ah I could just talk for hours about films :p

Old 10-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #8
charcoal feathers

I am currently:

Sadako you've really got to watch all of the Studio Ghibli films, they are all great, if not amazing. I love them. I re watched Only Yesterday the other night, it's so simple, yet it really is quite beautiful. WATCH THEM. Espeically, Whisper Of The Heart, My Neighbour Totoro and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds.

I wouldn't say Audition is that bad, it is a bit ew at times, although it's been way over a year since i've watched it.

Pans Labrynth, i adore, beautiful film. Like you Caralo i want to check out more of Guillermo del Toros, but i have a lack of money.

Have you seen 3-Iron?
I love it so so much, but don't know anyone who has seen or even heard of it.

It's so easy to get lost in constantly having to present
whatever face you believe a person wants to see rather than your own

charcoal feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
BarrelO'Crazy
Atheist jihad

I am currently:

wow i have around 300 dvds and i thought that was a lot, i'm out of shelf space now so thats ended my dvd purchasing for now. One of my favourite and probably overplayed dvds is Eternal Sunchine of the Spotless mind. Everything about that film is brilliant.

Does anyone listen to the kermode podcasts? they can be well funny aswell as a good guide to the films. I generally agree with him 4 of my fave films are the wicker man, blade runner, pan's labyrinth and the exorcist. Though i really don't agree with him over the pirates films.

I love Alcohol Induced Altruism
(Laura)
I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence - Doug McLeod
Those who believe in absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire

BarrelO'Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:52 PM   #10
howlie,
allons y

I am currently:

Charcole Featheres I have to say Wooo Studio Ghibli, DId you se Howls Moving Castle?

And hehe Has ANYONE seem The Prestige? I need to tlak to someone about it, but ic ant cause no ones seen it and it would spoil the ending.

you and i are going to have a love affair
and it won't work out but somewhere in the middle
god knows we tried

howlie, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #11
charcoal feathers

I am currently:

Yar, i own all of the Studio Ghibli films =] Howls Moving Castle is great, although, to me it's not one of the best.

I still need to The Prestige, i've had it since like it came out and god knows why but i still haven't watched it. I'd watch it tonight but i can't go back to sleep tomorrow morning when my daughter does so i'll be too tired haha

It's so easy to get lost in constantly having to present
whatever face you believe a person wants to see rather than your own

charcoal feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #12
BarrelO'Crazy
Atheist jihad

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...howl View Post
Charcole Featheres I have to say Wooo Studio Ghibli, DId you se Howls Moving Castle?

And hehe Has ANYONE seem The Prestige? I need to tlak to someone about it, but ic ant cause no ones seen it and it would spoil the ending.
yeah i saw the prestige but i guessed the ending bout half way through

(Laura)
I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence - Doug McLeod

Old 10-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #13
howlie,
allons y

I am currently:

Haha i love howls, mainly cause i read hte book frirst, teh book is better lol

And really? I didnt so it seriously creeped me out
i was thinking about it all night lol

god knows we tried

Old 10-12-2007, 10:18 PM   #14
BarrelO'Crazy
Atheist jihad

I am currently:

yeah though i don't remember what it was now but i was like working it out in my head

(Laura)

Old 10-12-2007, 10:18 PM   #15
Zephyr

I am currently:

American History X is a bit on the violent side... it's been a while since I last watched it so I can't remember just how violent, but it always leaves me feeling a bit disturbed (even though it's a brilliant film).

I really liked The Prestige as well, though I also guessed the ending about halfway through.

Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:23 PM   #16
howlie,
allons y

I am currently:

I dunno how you peopel do it
it just scared me haha

god knows we tried

Old 10-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #17
BarrelO'Crazy
Atheist jihad

I am currently:

its an annoying habit of my brain to work through all possible solutions to things like that and as the film moved on it became cleare for me what the ending would be

(Laura)

Old 10-12-2007, 10:33 PM   #18
howlie,
allons y

I am currently:

Fair play

Hey on an unrealted note i watche dmiss congenialoty for the first time the other night! haha! *shudders*

god knows we tried

Old 10-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #19
PixieHope.

I am currently:

Miss Congeniality is a weird film. The second is worse lol.

Anyone like Garden State? Well actually that's a stupid question cos everyone I know who has seen it loves it lol.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #20
howlie,
allons y

I am currently:

Haha just a tad
and im afraid i havnt no....

god knows we tried

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)