RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #1
LRgrad15

When strangers sit next to you on public transit when there are lots of empty seats

I do not drive so I take public transit a lot. Subway and buses for various reasons, usually to meet with a friend. One thing I hate is when random strangers sit next to me when there are lots of empty seats available where they could easily have the row to themselves. I don't sit in the handicap seats in order to avoid inconveniencing a elderly person or someone who is disabled. I just find it weird when someone sits next to me while there are plenty of other options. I don't like it regardless, but I am more accepting and understanding when it is a crowded bus and someone has to sit next to me. Does anyone else hate it when someone sits next to them on a subway or bus?

In a way, I feel like it is proper etiquette to not invade someone's space unless you have to. If I walk onto a crowded bus, I always stand if there are no empty rows since I know a lot of other people hate it when random strangers sit next to them. I can see the looks on their faces and some will even go as far as to sit in the aisle seat to prevent anyone from sitting next to them. That may be going a little too far if it is a crowded bus. I never do that. But I still find it uncomfortable and weird when there are lots of other empty seats that they can have themselves but choose to sit next to me instead. This usually happens on the bus. On the subway, I usually sit in the single seats so I almost never have that problem. What do you think about sitting next to others or vise versa when there are plenty of other options available? Just wondered.

Old 23-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I hate it too.

If I notice someone is going to sit next to me, I usually start muttering to myself. It deters people.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

I dont have the answer but I have experienced it too. I expect it on the priority seats but not on the ordinary seats. I am glad that I am not the only one who hates it.

Last edited by not_so_insig : 23-04-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #4
Stellata

I hate it too. I snarl [sadly] and move.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 09:25 PM   #5
zombiehunter
thinking

I am currently:

one of my pet peeves too, I was getting bus to work at a different shop than my usual one a few weeks ago and even though the bus was empty two people sat behind me and started arsing around on their phones with the volume up and no headphones on WHILE I'M TRYING T READ MY ****ING BOOK

also a few weeks ago I was in my favourite pub enjoying a pint and some guy comes in and orders his drink and even though the place was practically deserted he stood practically right next to me, don't get me wrong if he had spoken to me and was interesting/funny id have happily chatted back but he just stood there drinking his drink but luckily he ****ed off after one

zombiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #6
Stellata

... is why I can no longer read on public transport.

Old 23-04-2019, 09:34 PM   #7
zombiehunter
thinking

I am currently:

I read on the train

train people tend to be more courteous and not arseholes

Old 23-04-2019, 09:36 PM   #8
Stellata

That's good, must be a London thing then!

Old 23-04-2019, 09:42 PM   #9
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiehunter View Post
one of my pet peeves too, I was getting bus to work at a different shop than my usual one a few weeks ago and even though the bus was empty two people sat behind me and started arsing around on their phones with the volume up and no headphones on WHILE I'M TRYING T READ MY ****ING BOOK

also a few weeks ago I was in my favourite pub enjoying a pint and some guy comes in and orders his drink and even though the place was practically deserted he stood practically right next to me, don't get me wrong if he had spoken to me and was interesting/funny id have happily chatted back but he just stood there drinking his drink but luckily he ****ed off after one
On the majority of buses here there is notices saying please dont play music out loud and use headphones with consideration. I take it that they dont have it there zombie?

Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic

Old 23-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #10
zombiehunter
thinking

I am currently:

Glasgow buses are like rolling zoos

that's why I avoid using them unless I have to

Old 23-04-2019, 09:49 PM   #11
Stellata

Sounds like any public transport in London!

Old 26-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #12
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I think most people don't like to sit next to a stranger. I'm not sure if I've ever had someone sit next to me when there were loads of empty seats though. When I sit next to a stranger and then someone gets up a leaves a double seat free I never know if I should move or not, in case the person I'm sitting with thinks I hate sitting next to them or something.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 04:35 AM   #13
Kyrilnys

I am currently:

I don't mind much when people sit near me on the bus or train. What I hate is when people stand in front of the door like they're too "cool" to sit down.

Kyrilnys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 07:01 PM   #14
Stellata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrilnys View Post
I don't mind much when people sit near me on the bus or train. What I hate is when people stand in front of the door like they're too "cool" to sit down.
I stand by the door sometimes when I can't cope with people facing me or close to me or looking at me. It's because of my mental health, not because I think I'm 'cool'.

Old 27-05-2019, 08:28 PM   #15
nonperson

I am currently:

^ I do exactly the same thing for the same reasons.

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 08:29 PM   #16
Stellata

^ So glad I'm not the only one.

Old 27-05-2019, 08:52 PM   #17
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

I put my bag on the seat next to me usually, I only move it if someone says “do you mind moving your bag so I can sit down” which hardly ever happens.

The Worst Witch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #18
not_so_insig

I am currently:

I cant stand on buses due to the fact I always have an panic attack but if I have to I stand near the door for that reason. I feel safer if I can get off easily when I am panicking. Last time I had an panic attack on a bus nobody asked if I was ok or offered a seat even though there was plenty of people next to me. Nothing to do with "cool".

Last edited by not_so_insig : 28-05-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Old 31-05-2019, 04:22 AM   #19
Kyrilnys

I am currently:

Whoa, relax. If I was throwing rocks at your head you would know it. While you are all on a crusade against me for some reason remember a couple things first.

1. I have PTSD and extreme social anxiety because of it. This forum is not designed for competitions of who is more, less, better or worse.

2. None of you take the buses I take, but if you did I doubt you would refuse to let people walk by to leave the bus. I also doubt you would walk on the bus saying how everyone stinks before you forced open a bus window.

Chill out, kids. This thread is now reported to the mods and I am permanently walking away from it. ✌️

Kyrilnys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 01:14 PM   #20
nonperson

I am currently:

LOL. =P

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)