RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 15-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
when.will.it.end
{Katie}

I am currently:
Meds for dissociation

Has anyone has any decent medication for flashbacks and dissociation? What are your experiences? Thanks

Katie x

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world;
its the only thing that ever does.

when.will.it.end is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Stellata

There isn't a medication for dissociation, unfortunately. But then it's a psychological defence, rather than a brain chemistry dysfunction. Flashbacks? Well, beta blockers can ease the panic. But flashbacks are a working through of trauma. Therapy is best to help facilitate this safely.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
bleeding black
lost boys

I am currently:

Hey Katie,

As Stellata said, there are no medications that can stop dissociation or flashbacks. Dissociation is a defence mechanism and is psychological. For dissociation to cease you need to understand why it is you are dissociating, and in some way, process and work through the issues.

Flashbacks are the mind processing the trauma in small bouts. Like little bursts of exposure therapy. The most productive thing to do (though not at all pleasant) is to work at a way of managing the flashbacks, while letting them run their course.

Therapy is much more likely to help than any medication. Are you seeing someone who can help you work through these issues?

bleeding black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
TheHeroYouHate

I am currently:

I've never been prescribed anything for it, for the reasons that have already been said.
However, I did find that being on meds for my anxiety also worked wonders for my dissociation, because, for me, the two are connected.

Should've said something but I've said it enough.

TheHeroYouHate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
when.will.it.end
{Katie}

I am currently:

Thanks for the replies.

I have counselling but it's very non direct and she doesn't invite me to talk about anything. Naturally I don't want to talk about being raped and abused because it's not all that happy and seems unproductive when I feel I understand it mostly already. It's a lot easier to talk about 'happy' stuff.

I'm normally completely anti medication but this is so traumatising and frustrating and it feels physical. I completely understand it's illogical to be touched/looked at/whatever and be terrified that that will result in abuse but I still can't helping feeling it all over me. All of my flashbacks are sensory rather than visual so it feels like it's in my body rather than mind.

How do you find a therapist who can deal with this stuff competently? I've meet a lot of therapists and they mostly seem passive and encourage me to indulge in depressive thoughts.

So you think flashbacks are a process rather than being stuck? And that they will eventually resolve themselves?

Old 15-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
when.will.it.end
{Katie}

I am currently:

Thanks, isn't this basically speed? Wouldn't that increase anxiety and fight or flight type physical symptoms?

Old 15-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
Fry

I am currently:

i would have thought that generally medication wouldn't help and would more likely have the opposite effect. medication i've taken in the past has often just made me feel numb, tired and spaced out which would just contribute to your issues.

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
suspendeddisconnect

I was prescribed navane (thioxitene) for dissociation, but i was taken off of it just cause i ended up in the hospital a few days later, so i have no idea if it works. but the psych claimed it did, so i don't know.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)