RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #81
Cryptic.
If at first you don't succeed, try try try again.

I am currently:

Well, I think photos should be allowed whatever the size of the person, I don't think any should be removed... if the face is in the photo, what does it matter? That's the whole point of a photo of YOURSELF.

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.

Cryptic. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #82
I am a cat

I am currently:

Ithink this thread is getting a bit far fetched...

The rules are there for a reason.

Im glad they are there

and I personally wouldnt come on RYL if I saw thin people everywhere.

I am a cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #83
Cryptic.

I am currently:

Wow, well, people can't help being thin if it's due to fast metabolism, medical problems, etc tbh.

Old 24-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #84
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecorusCalamitas View Post
Wow, well, people can't help being thin if it's due to fast metabolism, medical problems, etc tbh.
We have taken that into account before.

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #85
FragileWings

I am currently:

Quote:
I actually agree.. especially if it isn't down to an ED or ED behaviours.

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." - W. Gibson.

FragileWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #86
Cryptic.

I am currently:

I don't think you did take it into account though, reasons that I can't explain as it was mod actions etc & against the rules to discuss it in public.

Either way, I've expressed my opinion, so I'm outtie.

=)

Old 24-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #87
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

Something that this thread reminded me of is something that environmental science (which I study) uses a lot, which is the precautionary principle. Basically what it means is that if an action or policy could potentially cause harm then it's up to those who think it wouldn't be harmful to prove that that is the case. Which is more strict than RYL, because what we have at the moment is that when we have proof of harm (post reports stating people are triggered by it) then the picture is removed. Maybe this is all getting a bit philosophical, but I think it's an issue that comes up on RYL in various different guises surrounding tip-sharing, sexual innuendo, triggering images and others; should we adopt a precautionary principle where we disallow anything that has the potential to cause harm, should we have the situation we have now where we have reactive moderating where things are changed after complaints are raised or should we have a more libertarian approach where people have the freedom to post what they want. It strikes me that it's a very difficult balance to strike, but right now we have a situation where things are only removed when it is causing people distress, now obviously some people are more sensitive than others and this complicates the issue, but it seems to me that it is a middle-ground we are aiming for and that this should give people a fair amount of freedom whilst providing a reasonable amount of protection.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #88
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

Quote:
I don't think you did take it into account though, reasons that I can't explain as it was mod actions etc & against the rules to discuss it in public.

Either way, I've expressed my opinion, so I'm outtie.

=)
I didnt say with YOU specifically.Im saying in other cases we have.

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #89
Zeitgeist

I am currently:

When in doubt, there's nothing wrong with PMing the picture to a moderator and get their opinion before posting it.

And Heidi speaks wisely, as usual :)

Face your life
Its pain, its pleasure
Leave no path untaken

Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #90
Stellata

I deleted all my photos of me.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #91
Droplet

Katie, I don't think anyone said you can't post pictures of you (even if you are underweight). I think you're reading into things wrong here.

For me personally, I don't mind seeing underweight people's photos if they are photos of them as a person if you get me. The only ones I object to are photos which seem to glamourise EDs and I definitely don't think they should be allowed on RYL.

The Mole was bewitched, entranced, fascinated. By the side of the river he trotted as one trots, when very small, by the side of a man who holds one spell-bound by exciting stories; and when tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.
Wind in the Willows.

Droplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #92
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

I think it's really important to make this clear for everyone reading: we are not saying photos of people who are thin are going to be removed. It is more about those which are excentuating their thinness and posting in ways that emphasise that, such as hunching shoulders to show collarbones or photos of simply a very thin body part that is highlighting the thinness, etc. It's usually pretty obvious when it is happening. (As Miranda has said above, pictures should be about the person, not the figure!)

But no, we're not simply removing photos of people who are thin. That'd be ridiculous; not everyone who is thin has an eating disorder.

I apologise if this wasn't clear, I just don't want you to feel targeted because there's never been any concern about your photos, Katie.

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #93
Stellata

I just don't want to get into trouble.

[bit dissociated right now.]

Old 25-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #94
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

You haven't been in trouble in the past, Katie, and based on that evidence it is unlikely you're going to get in trouble in the future, either.
You are okay.

xx

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #95
Stellata

Thanks Aimee.
Guess I just got really triggered.

Old 25-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #96
Alone and Scared
*Roby and Allie's Angel!*

I am currently:

I've never been triggered by photos of you Katie.

-----; I don't post pictures of me either, but I still think you are allowed to have an opinion.

Some people are thin, but you can usually tell when someone is 'poorly thin' and suffering from an ED because it isn't just being 'thin' it's the actual way they look.... Eurgh that made sense! What I mean is, the colour of their skin, their hair, their eyes; bone structure - all of it, being 'thin' and being very 'Anorexic' is different.... Am I actually making any sense at all?

Also, faces aren't as triggering in my eyes anyway. PLUS..... It's when people are posed with collar bones very visible and things like that? I have seen very thin people with Anorexia who haven't triggered my in the slightest because they aren't purposefully showing themselves, others have....

-“And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom.” Anais Nin-

Allie, Mutt, Great Grandma, Hope and Humbug. I love you and miss you all. xx
Love you Caz, Kel, Roby &&Dasher. xx

Alone and Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #97
Alone and Scared

I am currently:

^^ I came back to this thread thinking that and you'd written it!! Someone can look very poorly through thin'ness due to other issues was what I was going to say hehe! So yes.... That would make it quite hard. I have to say though I really do think it depends on the 'pose' they are pulling..... I mean, my photos of me when I was very thin I don't consider to be triggering because I'm wearing 'normal' clothes and I'm just being me - I'm not jutting myself in a weird position.... Hm?

Oh, and it's okay - I mean it.... I think you should be allowed to have your opinion!! xx

-“And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom.” Anais Nin-

Old 26-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #98
Alone and Scared

I am currently:

^^ That - Thinspo is a definate no go!

Last edited by Alone and Scared : 26-04-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Old 26-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #99
-Rainbow-

Quote:
Originally Posted by griddlebone View Post
No ryl isnt the real world,but thats not what were aiming for really, this is supposed to be a safe environment without triggering material..
I agree whole heartedly.
this is a place where people who are struggling can come and not be triggered by the day to day things that people can be triggered by.
i am not the only one who believes that ryl is a place they can can come and be safe and warned when there is a trigger looming.
i post when i am in a fragile state and triggered by lots of things, i like the warnings, they help me so much so i know which post to enter and and what to not.
you have post a few times about ryl being "bubble wrapped" and that you are unhappy about it, maybe you are on the wrong site? i am not sure, i dont know if you like this website for what it is but i dont know you so im sorry if you find that offensive. i in no way am trying to offend you. personally i like the non-triggering environment and with certain warnings it is so helpful. it is like a safe haven and i want nothing to destroy this as it would be unfair to so many members. ryl is a very lenient environment, you can post what you want in the right places. it is great. and im sorry you feel the rules are innapropriate but for as long as ive been here its been like the safe place and i dont see it changing, its fine the way it is. sorry if i offened,

-Rainbow- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #100
Cryptic.

I am currently:

Yes, so if the picture could be considered triggering,I think it should be allowed up with the triggers in place,scars are allowed up, why not other stuff that can't be helped? Makes people feel even more of an outcast && down on themselves.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)