RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Only Distraction
Only love can heal the pain.

I am currently:
Triggering (Substance Abuse) - Swapping Addictions

In psychology we learnt that if the cause of an addiction is not dealt with the person may swap one addiction for another,

I was wondering what you guys thought of this?

Thanks.

Shout. Ask. Run. Question. Laugh. Remember.

Only Distraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:14 AM   #2
blondiebear
Bringing back the lost art of Sewing

I am currently:

I believe it is the case. In my case, when I joined Alcoholics Anonymous and started recovery for alcoholism, I took up food in its place. Now I'm being advised to go to Overeaters Anonymous.

I starting to wonder if I'll ever get any better too.

My husband is my best friend.

In forgiving others, we are not exonerating them. They may not deserve exoneration. Rather, in forgiving others we are giving up our anger over the fact that what happened is not what "should" have happened or that our life is not the way it "should" have been.

blondiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
PointeShoes-x
It couldn't have been easy.

I am currently:

I definitely agree with this. I tend to swap addictions or compulsive behaviours, for example if I stop myself from cutting I tend to go further into my eating disorder and vice versa.

~"To the well-organised mind, death is but the next great adventure."~

So if you care to find me,
Look to the western sky...
As someone told me lately,
Everyone deserves a chance to

Fly

PointeShoes-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
MeganAlmighty

I am currently:

same as above^ (only i dont have an eating disorder, just have food issues)

Also when i dont have alcohol i use drugs.

I definatley think this is the case.

🌎 Mama Earth 🌏

MeganAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:46 AM   #5
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Quote:
I definitely agree with this. I tend to swap addictions or compulsive behaviours, for example if I stop myself from cutting I tend to go further into my eating disorder and vice versa.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:00 AM   #6
consequential

this is true
before i think i was a sex addict now im drinking too much way before that it was drugs
i eat too much too
im substituting sex for drinking
better off with the sex really causes less harm

consequential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
Minotaur
Cogito, ergo sum

I am currently:

I'm constantly substituting cutting and smoking for each other. If I've quit smoking, it usually means that my cutting's got worse but if I've quit cutting, it means that I'm probably poisoning my lungs again...

*sigh*

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
- Margaret Mead

Minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
[Fog]

I am currently:

I drink or I take drugs or I cut or I throw up or I do all of them or some new destructive thing. I do them obsessively. I suppose I have an addictive personality if such a thing exists. I have paranoid schiz and OCD so guess that'll be why but it kinda makes me think what's the point in giving up one thing just to have another thing to battle.

[Fog] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
samshine

I am currently:

I definitely agree with this through my life I have continuously swapped addictions without even realizing it; alcohol, food, s/h, cocaine, sex, marijuana. I think some people do have an addictive personality, and as my therapist says it's about getting addicted to positive things.

"Where ever I am I always find myself looking out the window wishing I was somewhere else." - Angelina Jolie

'You haven't failed until you quit trying'

samshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 02:19 AM   #10
Hollz
Daffodil

I am currently:

I was once told that: I go from one crisis to another

I have an addictive personality and I am extremely impulsive, I do and then think, its always been like that I gues.

I've had many addictions. Internet has always been a problem (strange one) but I truly believe my compulision to be on msn etc and chat roms hindered me when I was in school, and later university - it still does, not a serious addiction but there anyway.

I have a problem with alcohol, I don't hae vodka with my branflakes but I depend heavily on alcohol.

I am addicted to gambling. It has bankrupted me, and now means I will not join the polic for another 6 years at least. I stll aint been to a meeting or put a block on my pc. I still think I am due a final win.

Food, been on weightwachers the last year but my weight loss has only been a stone and a half, could do more and must I guess, I just cant cut out the habits of comfort eating, as well as the drinking.

Addiction is a problem for me. Lucky I have never smoked or done drugs, but sometimes I honestly do think they are next, one addiction and then another it is a cycle. I put it down to my bpd and impulsive nature, but I just want to be free from it all.

Something has changed within me, something is not the same, I'm through with playing by the rules of someone elses game. Too late for second guessing, too late to go back to sleep, its time to trust my instincts, close my eyes and leap....
Somethings I cannot change, but till I try I'll never know...
Big hugs to all my friends on here, thanks for your constant support - love you guys

Hollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
lozza
just trying to fly εϊз

I am currently:

I also agree with this. Throughout the years I have on many occassions gone from one addiction to the other... if I was eating ok, sh was way out of control... if I was able to not sh then I was restricting food intake greatly... when I was going well both ED and SH wise... drinking and taking O/D's came into play.

It is a very very nastly cycle.

*hugs all*

sometimes being strong means not holding back the tears but letting them fall
~˙·٠Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ٠·˙~

my fur baby girls are my life <3
r.i.p my beautiful girl jackie. i will love you always no matter what - 6/5/10

lozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
Cryptic.
If at first you don't succeed, try try try again.

I am currently:

I agree with this. And I'm living proof of it.

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.

Cryptic. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
eyes.wide.open

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointeShoes-x View Post
^yep

"They say time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessons, but it is never gone." - Rose Kennedy

eyes.wide.open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #14
Only Distraction
Only love can heal the pain.

I am currently:

And do you think this cycle will ever break?
Im 17 and when I look into the future I see myself still struggling with my addictions, I don't want this to happen but I fear I may always be an 'addict'.

Shout. Ask. Run. Question. Laugh. Remember.

Only Distraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 04:36 AM   #15
CrazyChaoticMess
Smile, it confuses people.

I am currently:

I agree with everyone else, usually until the problem is delt with the cycle continues, supressing one addiction with another.
You're still so young, you have you whole life ahead of you and can change it for the better, you just have to stay strong and possitive, to many addctions it's just a matter of weening yourself off and then just simply saying no.
In my opinion anyway.

Safe room= AWESOMENESS <3
I Get Lei'd In Vets!!

CrazyChaoticMess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #16
Zedebee
It's okay not to be okay

Absolutely.
I think it most probably can break, yes, with the right help. At the moment it seems you're not necessarily dealing with the underlying causes of your addictions? But once you start dealing with those causes it can help and you find other coping strategies...

The only time you will find real light is when you're searching in the dark..

Zedebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:27 AM   #17
Hollz
Daffodil

I am currently:

My CPN does't think I am ready to stop gambling as I wont put a block on my pc, I norm say I dont have money but she knew I had won some last month, she asked me today how it went, i told her i blew it up, think she is ready to give up on me.

She asked how I would feel if I put on my latop and the block was on, I said I would feel violated, I want to do it, but putting the block on, is a lack of control is it not, it costs £60....but I gamble my wages away most months, god knows what to do.

Something has changed within me, something is not the same, I'm through with playing by the rules of someone elses game. Too late for second guessing, too late to go back to sleep, its time to trust my instincts, close my eyes and leap....
Somethings I cannot change, but till I try I'll never know...
Big hugs to all my friends on here, thanks for your constant support - love you guys

Hollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #18
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

i think it is very true.
i sway from cutting to alcohol to smoking to ed and all the way back again.

88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #19
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

same, with everyone else.

cutting, smoking, food, starving etc etc :/
xx

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #20
PrincessVegeta_x
I'm epic!

I am currently:

Same thing happened with me. Binge-eating when I was younger, stopped doing that and started cutting, then stopped cutting for a while and started to purge and stuff... if I stop one thing, another one always comes along. I don't think I'll get better, it's how I cope.
=/

"How can I be a gynecologist? I can barely look a woman in the eye!"

If you like Glee & have a thing for the Kurt/Blaine pairing please click this link, thx! x
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bvJULBFYz4

PrincessVegeta_x is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)