RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 08-12-2015, 04:23 PM   #1
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:
bipolar depression and olanzapine Vs Quietapine

I saw my psych today and he said I have bipolar depression (I don't know how different that is from normal depression that just what he said) and suggested I change my anti psychotic to Olanzapine or Quietapine and he is giving me a week to think about which one I want to go on.

Im already on aripirizole and have a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder (bipolar type). My psychosis is well manage on anti psychotics that's why my psych is thinking about a anti psychotic with mood stabilizing properties rather than a mood stabilizer alone or as an add on.

I wondered if anyone had any experience with these medications and if you have been on both which one was better for mood stabilization, particularly depression?

Ive been on both meds before, so know the side effect profile, but that was when they were trying to manage my psychosis so Ive never been on them for mood stabilization.

It has been decided by my psych that it would be better to have me just on one overall medication and I cant take anti depressants because it makes my mood go high.

any thoughts, opinions or experiences would be good.

thanks

on a side note: Ive been put on clonazepam in the mean time to take during the day and a higher dose at night for sleep. I have been on this for anxiety and agitation before but never for sleep has anyone ever taken it for sleep and was it affective? from what I remember it only makes me chilled not sleepy. Im on 0.5mg twice a day and 1mg at night if that helps.
thanks again x

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Maybe he means rather than a situational or reactive depression? just guessing. My GP now always uses the term "bipolar depression" with my low mood rather than just depression.

I was on olanzapine for about 6 months as a mood stabiliser, at the time we hadn't got my mood that stable so it is hard to say how well it did or didn't work. Following a reaction to an antidepressant is was scrapped along with all of my other medication for a fresh start with quetiapine.

My mood is now a lot more stable and the quetiapine does a reasonable job of keeping it stable. It isn't perfect but I have only had one short depressive episode this year and that responded promptly (notable improvement in ~2 weeks) to a change in my quetiapine dose.

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
Fire Fly
Feel free to be yourself

I am currently:

In beenonboth and at high dosages of both and found Quetiapine better for the lower moods but Olanzapine helped a lot better overall. I think it managed my mood swings and it reduced them and eliminated the highs and reduced how loathe lows went.

I think ultimately you've got to think what one was better for you at the time.

Ballerina123 - My lovely superstar

Call me R -

The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time - Abraham Lincoln

Fire Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

I've been on both and Quetiapine manages my mood better. BUt then I didn't react well to Olanzapine.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
Ktulu

I've been on both and prefer Quetiapine.

Be kind - everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Ktulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
Arienette

I am currently:

Quetiapine brought me out of my major depressive episode earlier in the year.

Staring at white washed walls

Arienette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #7
Serendipity.
fabulous.

I've never taken olanzapine but I currently take quetiapine to help with depression and I've found it quite helpful.

Whichever you decide to go with, I hope you find it helpful :)

"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.
It'll get better. Until then, have a day."

Serendipity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #8
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Thanks for the input. It's really helpful.

I'm leaning towards quietapine atm as I prefer the side effect profile and htt told me it's better for depression.
Plus I gained a lot of weight on olanzapine and I'm a bit worried about that.

It's good to know they have both help people to different degrees

Thanks again

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #9
consequential

Seroquel helped me a lot and also gets me sleeping at night plus little weight gain and no addictive properties.

It became like a sort of prison. Encased in a silver shell, words so full of bleeding need spilled like drops on dry leaves. And all the while laughter prevailed a long way from here. Nowhere land, nowhere time, nowhere space.

consequential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #10
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musical_Solitude View Post
Seroquel helped me a lot and also gets me sleeping at night plus little weight gain and no addictive properties.
this was one of the reasons im leaning towards it as I am on clonazepam right now and although it is helping loads I want something that will calm me without causing addiction. unlike the clonazepam.

Im thinking about asking my psych if I can take quietapine in a split dose as a alternative to taking the clonazepam. As I know it can be sedative and I sometimes need that sedation when Im highly anxious in the day time.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:56 AM   #11
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

on the clonazepam side of things, does in normally make you a bit wobbly on your feet. ive almost fell over about 3 times today?

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #12
Arienette

I am currently:

Yeah definitely.

I sometimes am wobbly on my feet if I've had it the night before or that day.

I tend to avoid it if i know i'm going to be cycling for example - in that respect i treat it like alcohol.

Staring at white washed walls

Arienette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #13
Devil Girl

I am currently:

I agree with what a lot of others are saying. Quetiepine's side effect profile is better but also would say it is better for mood stabilisation, whilst olanzapine more for the psychosis - most people who take olanzipine for bipolar also take lithium for mood stabilisation.

You made up your mind to torture mine!
If you read a scar like a book, you will relise the story in which you over look
red ribbons were weaving
upon the young girls skin.
a trail of red weaved deep,
caused by pain from within

Devil Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #14
Epicene

I am currently:

I've taken both and in my experience quetiapine has helped a lot with mood as well as psychosis, whereas olanzapine was more for psychosis and anxiety. Quetiapine is also far better in terms of side effects - olanzapine gave me diabetes. But of course everyone is different and what's right for one person may not be right for another. Just remember you have choices.

Epicene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #15
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Olanzapine is marginally more effective overall as an antipsychotic but quetiapine is more effective for bipolar depression I believe. Quetiapine also has a bit less weight gain as a side effect.

Clonazepam will make you wobbly, yes. And it can be used for sleep but not recommended long term. Best to only use clonazepam daily for 2-4 weeks at the most.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:27 AM   #16
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Maiden View Post
Olanzapine is marginally more effective overall as an antipsychotic but quetiapine is more effective for bipolar depression I believe. Quetiapine also has a bit less weight gain as a side effect.

Clonazepam will make you wobbly, yes. And it can be used for sleep but not recommended long term. Best to only use clonazepam daily for 2-4 weeks at the most.
thanks this is really helpful

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:06 AM   #17
consequential

I was given it split in the hospital but that was ten years ago. They gave me 50mgs at breakfast and I had to go straight into bed with it. I personally could not function work or drive a car after it. On 100 mgs I sleep over 10 hours like a log but it's a healthy and helpful sleep. I don't know how it would affect you but that's my own story.
You have already posted on here about how olanzapine made you put on weight and all your posts weren't very good to be honest. I would try something new to see how you go.

It became like a sort of prison. Encased in a silver shell, words so full of bleeding need spilled like drops on dry leaves. And all the while laughter prevailed a long way from here. Nowhere land, nowhere time, nowhere space.

consequential is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)