RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 07-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Stellata

new sandals - blisters!!!

Anyone else wear new sandals for the first time the past few days, and get blisters from hell?!
Any tips for easing said blisters, and preventing further ones from occurring?

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
((deleted))
~Ruth~

I am currently:

What material are the samdals made from? I swear by rubbing vaseline into leather sandal straps to soften them.

"Has anyone seen my contact lens? It may be stuckto a tree or a rock or something. Oh boy, I am so grounded" Family Guy
if everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, we'd see the day that nobody died

!!!! I got lei'd in Vets !!!!

((deleted)) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Stellata

Leather. And they're mule type. It's the spot just on the bone below my big toe [what's it called?!] that hurts like hell.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
((deleted))
~Ruth~

I am currently:

Ohhhh....I know exactly where you mean! I used to get blisters there but my feet just kinda toughened up. so now I have hobbit feet but a lack of blisters. I used to find that putting talcum powder on my feet helped stop them developing as well as it made my feet less sweaty (ewwww) so they didn't slip around and create as much friction to blister.

"Has anyone seen my contact lens? It may be stuckto a tree or a rock or something. Oh boy, I am so grounded" Family Guy
if everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, we'd see the day that nobody died

Old 07-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

When my shoes hurt because of rubbing i out a cotton pad or two where it rubs and it helps.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Bleeding Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
Stellata

Thanks. :)

Yeah, it was more or less fine until I had to walk quickly in the heat!

I now have a blister the size of a 10p piece on my right foot to prove it. Not fun!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
BridgesAndBalloons
A Thimblesworth of Milky Moon

I only wear doc martens and breaking them in can be like chewing glass lol. It's probably not helpful now but after getting new footwear it's a good idea to wear them around your home for a little while to find out where bits might rub and cause blisters, then you can put plasters on those places to enable you to wear them without causing blisters.

I've found once you get blisters it's better to let them fully heal before trying to wear the shoes again. Then when you do wear them again, if you can, take some comfortable shoes with you when you go out so you can change them if they start to cause you trouble.

^ I've found rubbing vaseline into leather helps too. Also, using your hands to physically bend the footwear where your foot would bend it (hope that makes sense). So that way your hands are doing the work your foot would be doing, the exception being your hands won't blister as your feet will.

I've personally found that the best plasters to use are the fabric type ones, I find they stay in place longer and will stretch and bend as your foot moves.

BridgesAndBalloons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
Stellata

Uhuh I know...that was my aim, just, the weather just got really warm really quick! At least it's meant to cool down for a few days at least, so I can rest my feet.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
Stellata

Plasters on or off overnight? The blisters are burst...

Old 07-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
((deleted))
~Ruth~

I am currently:

if the blisters are burst I would suggest disinfecting them and keeping plasters on until they heal.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
Stellata

Disinfectant sounds owwie! I also have none, so hm. I do have some savlon cream, but won't that make the plaster slip off?

Old 07-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
((deleted))
~Ruth~

I am currently:

savlon will only make the plaster slip off if you got it on the adhesive.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #13
BridgesAndBalloons
A Thimblesworth of Milky Moon

I think you might be best off gently cleaning it with warm water, anything more harsh might not aid healing, healing tissue can be quite sensitive. Or a sea salt soak solution (a generous pinch of salt per pint/500ml of warm water) I've often cleaned blisters with a gentle sea salt solution.

I've left plasters off during the night and then used them in the day when wearing footwear, then when I get home gently cleaning blisters and leaving them to air dry. Although if it's a blister that's quite "wet" producing a lot of lymph fluid then I dress it.

BridgesAndBalloons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
Stellata

I dressed them overnight, and am 'airing' them now until I put my socks and shoes on when I go out. The big one is seeping.

Why can I never find sandals that are kind to my feet?!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
Epiphany_Addict

I am currently:

I don't think enough people (myself included!) are patient or organised enough to break shoes in as much as they need. It's naive to expect new leather sandals NOT to give you cuts and blisters, unless you give them time to warm up and stretch to the shape of your feet. I know this, but every time, I go out and buy shiny lovely new shoes then try to wear them all day, only to cry and never wear them again. :-P

I usually find that covering my feet with blister plasters before I put new shoes on helps best, if I need them right away. Or I wear them for an evening in my room and look at which parts of my feet go red, then cover those.

http://www.wikihow.com/Break-in-a-New-Pair-of-Shoes

Epiphany_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #16
Stellata

Old 09-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #17
Rodolphus
#Azkafam

I swear by putting new shoes in the tumble dryer (if it's safe to) for 10 minutes and wacking them on my feet as soon as they come out and the material is warm and walking around the house for 20 minutes in them :)

Now I'll play your ghost as my ace, whenever I'm led astray.
But I am actually good, can't help it if we're tilted.
I'm in my right place, don't be a downer.

Rodolphus is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)