RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Derpy
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:
*MAY BE TRIGGERING* Sectioning question: are the 'horror stories' true?

Are the horror stories relating to being detained under the mental health act ('sectioned' or forced hospitalisation for mental illness) true?
It says in the mental health act that they can force medication and treatment on you, what medication and treatment and how far can they go with that?
I've heard stories about physical restraint being used, is that true?
Forced feeding? Can food be forced upon you if you refuse to eat?
Drugging? Can they drug you up so you're not aware of what's going on?
If you try to escape or try to kill yourself while under section, what happens then?
Stories of experiences under section are welcome
Thanks in advance

Derpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Derpy

I am currently:

These questions are just general questions, I'm just trying to find out what is true and what isn't about sectioning. And team? What you mean by that?

Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it

I am currently:

you'd have a bunch of different people who are all working together in your care... so probably a doctor, a care coordinator, social worker of some sort, a nurse, etc

this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.

PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie

PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I've been sectioned 10+ times and each time has been different.

They will only physically restrain you and drug you if you refuse to cooperate.

There have been some occasions where the doctors say 'youre going to be sectioned' and I'll say 'fine' and its all very calm and I go without a fight.

There have also been some occasions where a doctor says 'youre going to be sectioned' and then I throw a chair at her and then I get restrained and medicated.

Do you see what I mean?

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
justapuppetonastring

I am currently:

Ive been sectioned twice and I was forced to take medication, restrained and injected. But, I was also restrained while I wasnt under a section. I was zombified and medicated but my parents put a stop to that as one of the terms i went in in the first place was that my parents didnt want me medicated so much I was like a zombie.

If you self harm or try to commit suicide you will be put on 1-1 or 2-1.

And if your thoughts should turn to death, you gotta stub them out like a cigarette..

justapuppetonastring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
Derpy

I am currently:

1-1? 2-1?

Old 02-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

1-1 = one nurse to one patient observation
2-1 = two nurses to one patient observation

Do you just happen to have a random curiosity for details of the mental health act, or is there are particular reason for asking these questions?

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

1-1 means a staff is with you all the time, watching you.
2-1 means two staff are with you all the time.

Else there are things like 15 minute obs, where staff check on you every 15 minutes.

Can I ask why you are asking these questions?

And in reference to your first post, there are always horror stories, but the fact that they are horror stories, and not normal stories is because they are usually a rare occurrence.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
justapuppetonastring

I am currently:

sorry I should have explained that! Thanks guys for clearing that on up =)

And if your thoughts should turn to death, you gotta stub them out like a cigarette..

Old 02-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
Derpy

I am currently:

Do they always zombify you under section?

Old 02-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
Pappi

I am currently:

no they don't it varies from person to person.

Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
Derpy

I am currently:

I have two reasons for asking these questions, I am not exactly mentally well myself and just wondering what sectioning would involve if I was ever unlucky enough to be sectioned and I'm trying to help a friend who has been sectioned in their past (I really don't want to talk about that), and was trying to get a clearer picture of what happens under section so I can try to help them better

Old 02-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
Foxtrot Oscar

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelback4Ever View Post
Do they always zombify you under section?
Could you please clarify what you mean by 'zombify?' I find that quite offensive. It can be necessary to be sedated in hospital, which is I presume what you mean, for one's care, treatment and well being, particularly if one is severely unwell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelback4Ever View Post
I have two reasons for asking these questions, I am not exactly mentally well myself and just wondering what sectioning would involve if I was ever unlucky enough to be sectioned and I'm trying to help a friend who has been sectioned in their past (I really don't want to talk about that), and was trying to get a clearer picture of what happens under section so I can try to help them better
Being sectioned under the Mental Health Act does not have to be 'unlucky.' It can save lives. Somebody, apologies I have forgotten who, said earlier in the thread that horror stories are just that, horror stories, because they are a rare occurrence and I agree.

I have no idea where I'm going with this... just that used appropriately, which in the majority of cases it is, the Mental Health Act is an important piece of legislation.

Sir Phillip: Veg-a-ta-pal extraordinaire!

Foxtrot Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

I very much agree with Sarah (Foxtrot Oscar).

Additionally, sectioning experiences are all very unique, so to best find out what happened for your friend, you really would be better off asking him/her for the specific details to be honest.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
whirlpools

I don't know if this helps but i have been sectioned before, only section 2s (28 day assessment section) and haven't had treatment forced on me. I have had a choice in my medication and was listened to. Sorry for short reply, am on mobile.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
justapuppetonastring

I am currently:

[quote=Foxtrot Oscar;3541909]Could you please clarify what you mean by 'zombify?' I find that quite offensive. It can be necessary to be sedated in hospital, which is I presume what you mean, for one's care, treatment and well being, particularly if one is severely unwell.

Im sorry if I offended you, it was merely the term my parents used at the time. I was just very tired and sedated from the meds and that is how it was described between both professionals and my parents.

Again I am sorry. But in the end it does describe how i was at that time.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
Foxtrot Oscar

I am currently:

[quote=justapuppetonastring;3541987]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot Oscar View Post
Could you please clarify what you mean by 'zombify?' I find that quite offensive. It can be necessary to be sedated in hospital, which is I presume what you mean, for one's care, treatment and well being, particularly if one is severely unwell.

Im sorry if I offended you, it was merely the term my parents used at the time. I was just very tired and sedated from the meds and that is how it was described between both professionals and my parents.

Again I am sorry. But in the end it does describe how i was at that time.
For me, it is an outdated term, but I can understand why it would be used in said context and I accept that colloquialisms make it easier at times to describe experiences. To be fair, I think I am finding the tone of the whole thread quite difficult, for lots of reasons. I appreciate your apology though, thank you.

Sir Phillip: Veg-a-ta-pal extraordinaire!

Foxtrot Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
frenchhorn
Oliver

when I was sectioned I was restrained multiply times in a day and was once restrained for over two hours, because I was being so violent, but that was because I was punching and kicking walls and trying to escape the ward to kill myself, I was also self harming with anything \i could get my hands on, so I was on one to one obs. I nearly was injected with a med to sedate me but i eventually agreed to take the tablet instead.
Looking back at it, it was a horrible, awful experience not just because of the sectioning, but because I am transsexuaal and they kept calling me a girl and she when I identify as male. But it did save my life, because otherwise I would have killed myself, not that I feel grateful for that at the moment, but my mum and sister are grateful it saved my life.

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or studpidity. The grave will supply plenty of time for silence." Christopher Hitchens

'When words fail, music speaks'

I am transsexual and homoromantic and proud to be.

frenchhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #19
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Sectioning is unique for everyone who undergoes it ie if I was sectioned for anorexia (which I don't have) and refused to feed I could be force fed if I was sectioned for depression and ate normally then they couldn't justify it.

Same with medication and so on

I have been in hospital and never sectioned as I always go voluntarily it has been threatened but only when I want to discharge myself and they quite rightly don't think I'm safe to go home. I guess what I'm trying to say is should you ever need hospital you could go voluntarily.

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #20
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

I'm really sorry to jump on somebody elses' thread but I have a question to ask on the same topic.

Would they still force things on to you (for example injections) if you begged them not to? Would any crying/screaming due to genuine fear be classed as non-cooperation?

Thanks!
- Holly

Eccentrics is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)