RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 17-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
l'il esky
Queen SockMonkey aka Holly :D

I am currently:
"depression is easily managed if take meds correctly!"......hmmmm!

so round my parents this morning cos my sister was over from brighton (she's a pharmacist)
my mum and sis were discussing someone from my mums work who has had to resign cos of her depression, she is a teacher and was affecting her work so she was kinda pushed to leave and they were sayiing about oh its so up and down, dont know when flare ups gonna happen and then my sis says "depression is easy to treat as long as they bother to take their meds properly" clearly neither of them have ever suffered with depression,.
if only it was that feking easy!!!!! i take my tablets regularly and appropriately but i still have lows (unfortunately more lows than highs at present)

none of my family know about my depression and sh and it is just so hard to hear how they judge people when they clearly have no idea!! it just hurts!

sorry i feel like *****, another one of my rants, feel free to ignore!! x

this pic is so i can always remember jen who was my l'il sock monkey friend who has left ryl and i miss her!!!
xx

l'il esky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
*..life in pain..*
Irene

I am currently:

i know how you feel. i take my meds every time, but im still depressed. if someone never had depression, can not understand. as it is with the other mental illnesses, with self harm and eating disorders.

My RYL family:
I-used-to-be-positive is my big sister razorxkissedxwrists is my mommy alyssa.star is my sister phoenixflames_forever is my cousin concreteangel, helpmydeath, xxbeckyxx and queer fringe are my little sisters bob--says--hi is my twin

pm me anytime

*..life in pain..* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
Stellata

It's not like managing diabetes. Medication cannot stop feelings or change difficult pasts or troubled life circumstances, it can just create enough space in your head to understand and hold them more safely.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
caz23

If only it really was that easy! I take two different AD's "properly" and yeah, they help stabilize my mood, but it's not like they've fixed the problem. Grrr, it's really irritating when people make assumptions about things they clearly don't understand.

caz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
l'il esky

I am currently:

exactly!! blimey this website would be pretty empty if our problems could all be cured with "magical" medicine.

this pic is so i can always remember jen who was my l'il sock monkey friend who has left ryl and i miss her!!!
xx

Old 17-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
Tuesday

uuggh. "easily managed" my ass. if it were that simple i don't think there would be so many depressed people in the world! hell, if medication always works that effectively, why don't they just have a vaccination for it? people who don't know what they're talking about it should just keep their mouths shut. treating depression is much more complex than just taking a pill and *ZING* all better!

Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I want magic medicine!

I take my meds every single damn day at the correct time to the minute, and they still dont help.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
l'il esky

I am currently:

^me too!!

the worrying thing is she is a pharmacist so yet again the medical professionals are making judgemental opinions about mental health problems!!! grrr!!! (yes i know i am a medical professional too)*cough*

xx

Old 17-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
-Asphyxia-
-loser-

I am currently:

I know how you feel. My mom just told me to "grow out of" my anxiety, even though I'm 23...It's frustrating, and it makes me feel ashamed that I have to deal with anxiety/depression...I'm embarassed, to be honest.

I will say there's some hope, though:

I went to get an x-ray at my University Health Services Center, and apparently they now give students a mandatory short questionaire to fill out regarding depression and alcohol use. I scored really high on the depression, and the Doctor who was treating me asked if I had a history and stuff. He put his hand on my should and said, "Yeah...The ups and downs are really difficult to deal with and most people don't understand. It's not like treating diabetes. It's not that easy. If you feel you need someone to talk to, feel free to call us. We want to help and you shouldn't have to deal with this alone."

It made me feel so good...Like I wasn't a freak or something. He was so sweet! Not everyone is insensitive.

Last edited by -Asphyxia- : 17-01-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Typo.

-poisonous-

-Asphyxia- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
l'il esky

I am currently:

aww thats great! yeh i have to say everyone in my department that has found out bout my depression/sh have been fine and tbh a lot of them have had issues with depression.

the lady i used to see at cmht said that most of the people that worked there had had previous issues

also my gp is lovely and doesnt judge so thankfully most of the people i have come across for my own difficulties has been good.

xx

Old 17-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #11
The One Who

I am currently:

If it was so easy to treat there wouldn't need to be so many different drugs with so many different dosages. I come across people who seem to think that I should be able to "cheer up" as if I was switching on a light bulb. I doubt anyone would choose to be depressed if it was that easy to stop.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 10:12 PM   #12
Whispered Secret

Huggles hun.

I can't say much more cos I've never had meds for my feelings, but just to remind you I'm here for you, whenever. :)

Whispered Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
kady

I am currently:

im going to be a pharmacist and i suffer depression and i obviously do not agree...i think people forget that if taking tablets were a solution..then there would be no problem? i think people who dont understand think its that easy..its not fair but well i guess if we hadnt suffered from depresson we might think that way also...

kady is my sister <3

kady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #14
dark_light

I am currently:

If only it were that simple!
I've been on various meds since i was 16 and they have never 'cured' me, they have helped a bit at times but it has never fully gone away and i have always taken my anti-depressants properly. My sister is studying pharmacology and has been known to make insensitive comments about depression, and she knows about my problems. I think she looks at it from a purely chemical point of view and hasn't been through it so doesn't understand that it isn't that simple. She told me to eat lots of bananas because apparently they help - i wanted to hit her!

"Because you don't notice the light without a bit of shadow.
Everything has both dark and light.
You have to play with it until you get it exactly right."

dark_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
ThinkingofRecovery

I am currently:

OMG, I've had the bananas comment from an SHO when I first went for treatment for OD (had OD'd that much in the past but didn't realise it required medical attention). Glad I am not the only one who has had random tips like that

"Everything is possible through Christ, who gives me strength". Phillipians 4:13

ThinkingofRecovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #16
irishwriter

I am currently:

wouldn't it be great if it were that easy. have been taking meds for last thirty years on and off and trying lots of different combos and still haven't found right ones. i guess i should just 'cheer up'.

irishwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #17
Misunderstood.
struggling

I am currently:

surely she meant 'depression is easy to manage'?
I honestly can't even make grammatical sense out of that sentence never mind anything else lol.
But seriously, of course it's not just about the medication.
You yourself know how hard it is to function some days with depression and anyone elses small minded opinions shouldn't really matter
Maybe she needs some educating.

The most profound things are inexpressible.

Misunderstood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #18
Misunderstood.
struggling

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'il esky View Post

the worrying thing is she is a pharmacist so yet again the medical professionals are making judgemental opinions about mental health problems!!!
Ah yeah but she's a pharmacist hence her thinking meds are the be all and end all. Lots of them do think along those lines, it's in the nature of the interest in which brought them to the job.

The most profound things are inexpressible.

Misunderstood. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)