RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 15-03-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
Starz*
My angel

I am currently:
General Medical Question - Urgent - How long do stitches usually stay in for?

I had them done on thursday morning and the nurse said get your gp to take them out mon-wed. gp booked me in for tuesday.

How long do people usually have them in for?? i guess it varies on what damage was done??

The following content has been hidden - Reason : detail

I had a gaping cut that was steri-stripped for 4 days, but i kept opening it up. then i recut it to the tendon. when i went to A&E the only way they could stitch it was to do debridement first,(scrape it out) so it would all heal.

Will it heal that quick??

Old 15-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Animad

Usually when you stitch a wound up you usually say the stitches should stay in for 7-10days so 5days doesn't sound very long to me and it is at risk of reopening at that stage even if it looks like its closed because the tissue below the surface is still binding together especially as the cut you've made sounds deep.

The reason they debrided it was because it was left for a while so they were removing all of the debris and cutting back the dead tissue to get to an undamaged area with a healthy vascular bed (blood supply) that would properly heal together.

Old 16-03-2008, 01:07 AM   #3
scaredofme

I don't really have a lot to add to that.

My stitches were in for 8 days. They recommended 7, but that landed it on a sunday. So I had them out monday.

They usually say 7-10 days but I guess they must know what they are talking about, and mine looked practically healed after a few days, though as has been said, it may not be completely healed even if it appears so.

Maybe bring this up with your gp when you go for you appointment on tuesday?

Ask his/her opinion?

Laura xx

...and the sun will set for you...

Old 16-03-2008, 02:10 AM   #4
x-dying-inside-x
*Dan*

I am currently:

i had a bad one on my arm once i ended up with them in for 21days because it wouldnt heal.
it really does depend.
it could me 7days it might take upto 14 sometimes.

" my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never, never leave you during your times of trials and suffering. When you see only one set of footprints it was then that I carried you" you were carried out of are lifes into the next and when its my time to leave this life I know i will be carried into the next life with you.
I wish i had my world complete again.
'Can we protend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars, i could really use a wish right now' BoB

Old 16-03-2008, 02:15 AM   #5
Cupcake
George

I am currently:

i once had mine in for 14 days and then a few days later it split back open. and they said 7-10 days.. hmmn. so i guess it depends if you heal fast/slow

Where can you run to escape from yourself?

Old 16-03-2008, 02:52 AM   #6
chasing bliss
stuck doing people things

I am currently:

Depends on how quickly you heal, location/depth/shape of the cut, how well the stitching is done, etc.

I had mine in for 10 days but after getting them out it split right back open. I was worried it would happen because it didn't seem healed yet. So if you are concerned that it's too early, make it clear when you go in for the appointment.

well, i have sown untidy furrows 'cross my soul,
but I am still a coward,
content to see my garden grow so sweet & full
of someone else's flowers.

Old 16-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
Starz*
My angel

I am currently:

wow, 4-6 days really is a short time.
im sure my gp will look if its ready before she takes them out.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)