RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 25-05-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
glitterfairy

Post your best bits about the old Ryl

I miss this place how it used to be.

Post what you miss about the old RYL

meets that actually happened sometimes 3 meets on one day.

This site being so busy!

I actually miss the threads that turning into heavy arguments/debates lol (slow labour thread anyone.)

Easter egg competitions.

How everyone supported each other.

Call me L :)

glitterfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 06:02 PM   #2
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

RYL bingo in chat was fun!

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 06:06 PM   #3
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

The e-zine.

Harley and Tony being about.

The supporters.

The recovery bracelets.

Loads...

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 06:08 PM   #4
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Old post here (link).

Old 26-05-2019, 06:55 AM   #5
Isoverity

I am currently:

Well I think Ruin had things about it that were unique, and they didn't really translate to later versions fully intact. It was a lot more "exploration" oriented and not as muffled. Members were extremely protective of the site, and anyone having a go at it caught hell from mobs (thats mobs and not mods - mods hardly had to do anything to protect site that way). People were really young and could be very searching. They could also be very funny. I read some of the most amazing writing from people. It could be a dark place but it made the light show more. There were even triggering photos kept on site and they actually scared some people so much they got better.

There was a real camaraderie between people there. Many people knew each other in real life and that carried over. There are studies that show people get helped more by some peers than pros and I saw that. I used to see people get better all the time.

I recall one girl who had struggled and wrote about her angst over her parents finding out about her problems. Her father - instead of being mad - went and apologised to her for not being who he should have been. The girl's life changed on the spot - she was free. She wrote about it all really well and it still stays with me. The place had the drama of young people shattering unexpectedly, and then putting the pieces back together in better ways. People can find some dark places unexpectedly but they can find some bright ones even quicker. I saw so many fine people - I never considered most of them as "flawed" etc etc in any way

Of course Harley was very driven and had people volunteering for all sorts of things so people felt engaged. As the place grew and got notice in BBC, C4 etc. people who felt stuck then felt something around them growing positively and dynamically.

I also miss MSN. Having multiple MSN convos open while talking to people around the world was just amazing even though my typing then was really awful lol

Last edited by Isoverity : 26-05-2019 at 07:23 AM.

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #6
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Mainly I miss the sense of community and friendship. I could log on and there would be 20 others online at the same time that I knew well and we could chat for hours, spam threads (Esther's Queendom for example) and support each other. Then a few times over the summer we'd meet up in London or Essex and lark about. There was such a sense of belonging. We may all have been struggling but we helped each other too. Not like on Instagram now where most people with MH issues and ED like to post. It's a very toxic community, I see the sorts of things that happens, the awful anonymous messages left on tellonym etc. Such a shame.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
Soft Kitty

Totally agree it's a massive shame about anonymous messages. I wish the younger lot didn't use them but I think it's part of the culture. Just seems as though people should be held accountable for things they say. I try to believe it's only a small number of people who leave the large amount of 'hateful' messages but it seems so dangerous. Just had to comment on that because it's something I feel strongly about!

In terms of RYL, I didn't join until 2008, which is arguably after the 'peak', but I miss it being busy and the diversity of opinions and replies. I hope that people who have left have gone on to have largely more stable lives. It's been nice to see how the regulars who are still here today have developed and grown as well.

Soft Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:26 PM   #8
Stellata

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_step_closer View Post
The e-zine.

Harley and Tony being about.

The supporters.

The recovery bracelets.

Loads...
These.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #9
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

I miss someone being there 24/7. If you posted at 2 am UK time asking for support you would get a response. Many a time I felt like harming myself in the early hours in the past and people posting stopped me from doing it. These days if it's past 10 PM UK time you dont tend to get an response and if anyone is online at say 2 am it doesn't guarantee that they will see your thread or know what to say.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:23 PM   #10
JumpingJellytots.xD
Sam, Samantha, Sammy.. <3

I am currently:

I agree

Walt Disney
"Even miracles take a little time."
- The Fairy Godmother

"What do you do when things go wrong? Oh! You sing a song!"
- Snow White

"Always let your conscience be your guide." -Pinocchio

JumpingJellytots.xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:34 PM   #11
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

What everyone else said pretty much.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #12
Blindspot..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post
I also miss MSN. Having multiple MSN convos open while talking to people around the world was just amazing even though my typing then was really awful lol
Ah MSN. We had some good old chats on MSN. I miss it. Facebook etc isn't the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock holmes View Post
Mainly I miss the sense of community and friendship. I could log on and there would be 20 others online at the same time that I knew well and we could chat for hours, spam threads (Esther's Queendom for example) and support each other. Then a few times over the summer we'd meet up in London or Essex and lark about. There was such a sense of belonging. We may all have been struggling but we helped each other too. Not like on Instagram now where most people with MH issues and ED like to post. It's a very toxic community, I see the sorts of things that happens, the awful anonymous messages left on tellonym etc. Such a shame.
This. Instagram and the like seem so public and open. I know any one can read these posts too but it feels different.
I miss the little group of Esther's Queendom regulars. It was such a good distraction help at any time of day.

Blindspot.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 11:12 PM   #13
Koala hugs

I am currently:

I miss the shop and the busyness and the meets

Koala hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 12:52 AM   #14
Accidentally Abstract
Luce.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock holmes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindspot.. View Post
Ah MSN. We had some good old chats on MSN. I miss it. Facebook etc isn't the same.

This. Instagram and the like seem so public and open. I know any one can read these posts too but it feels different.

I miss the little group of Esther's Queendom regulars. It was such a good distraction help at any time of day.

Both of these.

I miss the sense of community, the giving and receiving of support and how active and vibrant it was, even if it was dark/heartbreaking/stressful too. I went to loads of meet ups and made a lot of friends here, some I still have. I racked up over 20,000 posts and spent christ knows how many hours of my life on these forums and talking to members on MSN. I'm still pretty gutted that I felt like I had to give it up when it became a less safe space for me. I practically grew up here - this place made up a huge amount of my life when I was younger, and it'll always be an important part of my history.

Also, hi lovely humans. I've not been here in a bloody while. I hope you're all getting by.

Ride it out.
"I need a sunrise in the dark."

Accidentally Abstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #15
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Hi Lucy. How are you getting on?

Old 30-08-2019, 01:18 AM   #16
Accidentally Abstract
Luce.

I am currently:

Hiya lovely.

I'm plodding on, you know how it is. Working full time and living in a flatshare. I have started seeing a private therapist in the last couple of months who I really like and I actually feel like I have some autonomy and can see the potential for actual change (fingers crossed...), which is refreshing!

How are you? How's life been treating you?

Ride it out.

Old 30-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #17
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

That's really good about the therapist, I hope things work out for you.

I'm not really doing much at all. A couple of groups, and looking after my cats.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #18
Accidentally Abstract
Luce.

I am currently:

Thank you, me too.

The groups sound interesting - what sort of groups are they? Support groups or hobbies? Hooray for having cats too! What are their names?

Ride it out.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #19
MoNo
untz

old chat

MoNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 10:29 PM   #20
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Memories!

I miss the community! I miss being young and having time to be on here at all hours of the day!

I miss the sheer randomness of this place!

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)