RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
MrsNutkin

I am currently:
Benefits *updated 2nd feb 12*

I live with my bf in rented accommodation (we have been together 6 years and stable) anyway he works and that's a full time job... stable as possible in this current climate.

I am 22 and graduated from uni in July 2011. I have worked since then in temp jobs for a total of 15 weeks.

I quit my last job as it was making me ill, no support at all etc etc

I don't feel fit to work. I doubt I'm entitled to ESA or JSA anyway as bf works full time and I probably don't have enough NI contributions (I am in the uk)

I have money to like tide us over 12 months for rent etc but after that....

I'm hoping to get back to work but will need a lot of support, and because I have a physical disability as well I am limited as to the sorts of jobs I can do.

What do I do in this situation?

thanks

Last edited by MrsNutkin : 02-02-2012 at 12:26 PM.
MrsNutkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

It doesnt matter about your bf, you can still apply for the benfits, really go to CAB and see what they advise that you should apply for.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Bleeding Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

If you have a physical disability check with your CAB if you are entitled to DSA which is non means tested.

As for work. If you go to your job centre you can create a job seeker profile that takes your limitations into account to help you find suitable work

Most jobs, though, will have to provide reasonable alterations to allow you to work. Unless its something that would not be possible, like making working in a coal mine wheelchair accessible.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
The One Who

I am currently:

Use this benefits calculator to see what you can get.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
Liriel

I am currently:

I have to say I had a complete nightmare trying to claim benefits.

Although I've worked all my life (apart from when at uni) I hadn't accumulated enough NI contributions (long story, something to do with not earning enough in my temp jobs) to be eligible for contributions based benefits. Then I wasn't entitled to income based benefits because my boyfriend earns over a certain threshold and they take your partners salary into account if you live together.

The direct.gov website is good for info: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/index.htm

Good luck - I hope you have a better time than I did, and try not to let the whole process stress you out because it can be a huge pain in the *rse

x

Liriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
Liriel

I am currently:

P.s. Sorry to rant on about my own situation - just wanted to share x

Liriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
MrsNutkin

I am currently:

Lilrel - don't worry it's good to hear about it. I don't qualify for income based either due to partner working full time. Apparently, I can claim contribution based as even though I don't have enough national insurance contributions I meet the criteria about being in education under 25.

Does anyone know how long you have to send evidence back? I can get a sick note on Saturday but have to wait until next week for my ex college to send a letter

Old 08-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
MrsNutkin

I am currently:

My doctor gave me a sick note for weeks. I am planning on going back to work steadily at some point but not sure how this works in terms of benefits, anyone know?

Old 02-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
MrsNutkin

I am currently:

Update currently on ESA (contribution) I'm stressed (nature of my anxiety I guess) about the ESA50 I filled out with the CAB. The questions were about can I cope with small changes to my routine. If somebody for example, wrote or rang and changed an appointment for the next day I'd be very upset and stressed but with enough notice (like a week) I could cope. Not sure if this is normal... anyway I struggled to put into words how the anxiety affects me. I'm really worried about doing things wrong and getting into trouble.

I was honest and truthful as far as I know... as in I told it how I believe it to feel and to be but the forms are open to interpretation a bit. If it was a simple question like do you have children: then I can answer that, it's black and white and easy to work out what is the right answer... Am I making any sense?

Old 28-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
MrsNutkin

I am currently:

Just to add to this that I was accepted for this even after my medical, but i got a job soon after

Old 20-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
StardustedSky

I am currently:

Hey,

I'm became disabled a few years ago in an accident which has also resulted in struggles mentally. I found getting a job really hard dispite my education, degree and experience but primarily due to my PTSD and the fact I can't drive. The sad matter of fact is that I wanted to work in marketing and many companies look for you to be able to drive which is frustrating.

Anyway after 168 job applications and even sending out cvs offering to intern for little or no money to just get my foot in the door I have eventually found an employer willing to see me for me, the wage is rubbish but at least I'm working and he has even made a space for me in the office where I can go and lie down to work when my back is bothering me and i can sometimes work from home if im struggling with things mentally. I suppose I'm saying stay strong, it feels like a never ending road but hopefully you will find that person who will give you a chance.

Also have you tried applying for DLA mine is invaluable to me, they take into consideration mental health issues as well which I think many people don't realise and your boyfriend might be ale to get a careers allowance for the mental support he offers you, from phone calls during the day to reassurance at night it all adds up.

I didn't realise the was other support out there financially so keep us posted on what you find out, would be good to hear. I struggle going to CAB and telling someone I don't know everything that's gone on I end up getting really upset and never end up getting the information I need :s

StardustedSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

Yeah DLA is non means tested. It really helps, the form is a bitch though.

Im a student and if i didnt get dla i would need to get a job, which i would prefare but at this current point in time, i wouldnt be able to cope in the slightest but hopefully in the future. x

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
StardustedSky

I am currently:

Ami is right the form is LONG and an absolute nightmare citizens advice will help go through it and give guidance but that's the extent of their support here for this. I don't know if they have one where ou are but what. Would Sally suggest is finding out if you have a local 'welfare rights' body. This is a bit like citizens advice but more involved and able to dedicate more time, mine helped to write the forms (handy when your dyslexic) to help get wording etc right and was a huge help.

Reapplying every year or do is also a lt of fuss but what I'd recommend is make sure you have a copy of what your have written before you send it off not just for your reference but also to refer back to when your reapplying-makes filling out the form so much easier this way.

I may be wrong but as a student you shouldn't be paying council tax so if your living with our partner if he is not a student he should only be paying council tax for him if that makes sense.

Hope this helps

StardustedSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
MrsNutkin

I am currently:

Updated to say that I had to leave my job due to not being able to go part time and I went back to uni

Old 04-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #15
MrsNutkin

I am currently:

Hi...Can you reply for ESA if I was in the support group in 2011?

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)