RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-09-2016, 11:28 PM   #1
Aubergine
You've got this.

I am currently:
Gabapentin for nerve pain in healed self-harm.

Hi,

I hurt myself a few months ago and, though it's completely healed now, I'm getting a lot of pain where the scar tissue is.

I went to the GP today and he was really helpful and said he's not surprised it's painful because of what the injury was (I was scared he'd think I was making it up or tell me to put up with it because I did it to myself).

He prescribed gabapentin as it's good for nerve pain. I work in a pharmacy and know quite a lot about the drug, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience of taking it for peripheral neuropathy, particularly relating to scar tissue?

:)

“Our defeats are softened and our victories are sweetened because we did it together.” - Toby Ziegler.

This isn't everything you are.

Aubergine is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 29-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
Fire Fly
Feel free to be yourself

I am currently:

I hope it helps you. I don't have experience of gabapentin however do have experience of pregablin which if I'm not mistaken is also for nerve pain. I took it originally for pain for the damage of self harm on scar tissue. So let me know if you want any information about that?

Really hope it helps.

Ballerina123 - My lovely superstar

Call me R -

The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time - Abraham Lincoln

Fire Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #3
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Yes I was taking gabapentin for nerve pain in my leg a few years ago.
It was good in the sense that I didn't get any side effects from it however I also didn't feel any relief in my nerve pain either.
My go switched me to amatryptaline which helped a lot more. If fact it was the most helpful pain killer I've ever been on.

However I also work know a pharmacy and know a lot of people find it helpful but have heard patients complain that it makes them feel tired. I personally didn't have this side effect but it is a common complaint I've noticed from people who take it.

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Yes I'm on gabapentin I find it helps to a degree and according to my dr less damaging to my already damaged liver than other pain killers.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #5
Rilic
Loon

I am currently:

I didn't even know they could prescribe anything. I've had pain lasting months and months, but then it tends to ease away, but during that time it drives me a bit nuts, but I always thought they'd be a bit like, you made you bed now lie in it.

Rilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #6
Barks&Woofs

I've been taking Gabapentin for nerve pain caused by self harm for the last 4 months.

It takes a while to build up in your system and I didn't think it was working till we had a problem with the supply of the tablets and I started feeling the pain in full again.

For me it doesn't help with sharp pain caused by me moving, but does help with the everyday change in sensation like the pin and needles and burning sort of pain I was getting.

Barks&Woofs is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)