RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 14-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
-phoenix-
Lucy J.

I am currently:
i cant move my neck *crying* in a lot of pain

hey guys, i dont have a clue what i have done. i went to bed ok and woke up with the worst pain down one side of my neck. i cant turn my neck either way and god im in so much pain. im literally lay in bed tryna keep still while typing this, crying. does anyone know what this could be? i barely move wen im asleep so dont think it cud be that and the only think i did different yesterday, well i havnt purged in a while and i did that quite heavily yesterday. tho i doubt that wudve dun anythin? please help if u can, i want to go to the dr but i dont even think i cud get up without screamin house down and im at uni n not registered there xXx

Old 14-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
KittenEyes

I am currently:

Hmm... well it might be partially from purging, could've strained your neck muscles, and then you could've slept funny.. I've had the same thing happen, I had no clue why. All I can say is don't move it, and if you have someone nearby have them get you a bag of ice for it, the ice will help if it's swollen (it probably is by the sound of it!), and it'll reduce the pain a bit. Take something for the pain also, like ibuprofen. :\ I'm sorry you're in so much pain! Just make sure to rest and don't try anything that hurts!!!

xxx

(//'''O,,,O)//'''

Old 14-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
snowy_owl

I am currently:

Not being British, I'm unfamiliar with the concept of navigating NHS rules and such, so I'm afraid that I can't be of any help in that particular area (getting registered and such).

However, I may be able to offer you some help in the neck department. My brother has had similar neck pains in the last year or so, and he's not bulimic, so it may not be from purging. It may be that you've pulled a muscle somehow, or have managed to tweak your neck just right and have pinched a nerve.

Feel the lymph nodes on either side of your neck. Are they swollen? If yes, then that is an indication that you are probably sick, and in that case I would be suspicious of meningitis. Probably you don't have it but if you haven't had your vaccine for it (Do they offer it in the UK? I don't know.) it *is* a possibility.

For the moment, try a hot shower and an aspirin or two. If you can bear it, ask someone to rub your neck for you, as that might relieve the pain. But do try to get to a physician as soon as you can, particularly if your lymph nodes are swollen!

"I asked the sun to tell me about the big bang. The sun said 'It hurts to become.'" -- Andrea Gibson, I Sing The Body Electric Especially When My Power Is Out

Old 14-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
-phoenix-
Lucy J.

I am currently:

thankyou guys, ive rung my uni doctors and theyre telling me to get there right now...scared now, i hate doctors xXx

Old 14-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
-phoenix-
Lucy J.

I am currently:

oh god, got out about half an hour ago. He gave me sum pain relief but said i have to stay right by the doctors on campus. He wants to see me in an hour, if the pain is still there i have be tested for meningitis...oh god now im rly worried. Its been half an hour n the neck pain feels worse, n i feel so sick. but then i guess that could be coz im worrying... :( :( xXx

Old 14-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
TheHeroYouHate

I am currently:

Aww :( i feel bad for you, try and stay calm, otherwise you'll make yourself imagine symptoms that wouldn't be there otherwise.
When I first read your post I was sure you had a thing i had a few years back, the pain was exactly how you described it, i woke up and thought i was dying, my parents rushed me to the doctors and it turned out i had something very simple, it wore off in a few days with heat and painkillers...trying to remember the name.
torticullis, something like that i think.
So it could be something very simple and not dangerous :)
Good luck!
I hope you feel better soon.

Should've said something but I've said it enough.

Old 14-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
floppyscarecrow

I am currently:

omg that happened to me a couple of weeks ago. dunno why, it was a little sore in the morning and then suddenly i couldnt move. then it slowly got better and by the next day it was only a little sore, and then it went away. it was so weird.

Old 14-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

Good luck with the doctors

Eva. Gone, but never forgotten 27.3.10

Old 14-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
Animad

Hope it goes well. There are many other causes of neck pain but yeh, as you are feeling ill with it and Neck pain is quite a common sign of Meningitis it's a positive thing that thy are looking into it. Hopefully it isn't and they'll help you to find a cause or at least give you some helpful pain relief.

Old 14-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
x_junkie_x

I am currently:

the same thing has happened to me twice, and i am not bulimic. the most likely cause is that you fell asleep with your neck at an odd angle and now it has a crick in it, or it can also be a sign of thyroid issues. if it is a muscle knot it likely feels tight and it is excruciating to turn your head. the best therapy for this is massage, bengay or tiger balm are helpful, a heating pad. it may take 3-5 days to loosen up.

Old 15-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
-phoenix-
Lucy J.

I am currently:

hey guys thanks so much for your replies. well after a long and scary day im back! after the doctor had seen me again he just called an ambulance, scared the hell out of me! so yeah ended up spending all day in hospital, avin tons of tests done. had to be in a room on my own in case it was meningitis, given loads random tablets lol was crazy. i'd never felt so alone tho, seemed like everyone had someone with them except me :( finally got out last night because my temperature had come down n i was able stand the light a bit better. so yay, feelin much better day, still can barely move my neck and am feeling rly sick but not as bad as yesterday. oh god random comment, but in the ambulance the paramedic was like checkin me over for rashes n god she saw all the scars n they are pretty bad. but bless her she dint even say anythin just looked at me and carried on being rly nice and friendly. after reading some of the experiences some ppl on here av had with hospital staff i was scared stiff of anyone seeing them! but anyway, thanks for replying xXx

Old 15-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #12
snowy_owl

I am currently:

Oh, I am glad to hear that you are doing better and that it was not meningitis! It must have been super scary to be hospitalized but it sounds like you stayed strong. I hope you feel better soon!

"I asked the sun to tell me about the big bang. The sun said 'It hurts to become.'" -- Andrea Gibson, I Sing The Body Electric Especially When My Power Is Out

Old 19-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Mandimoo
Mummy!!

I am currently:

glad you are doing better. i did something simmilar a couple of days ago, i have the flu and owke up with a really bad neck, couldnt move it, hubby said 'oh yeah you woke up in the night and sneezed bad and then screamed 'arrr my neck' then feel back asleep, so we think i pulled iot bad when i sneezed.

loves n hugs, mand x

Mand, South Wales, Full-time working, single mother to 2 scarily independent girls.
I AM A PROUD PLUMERIA SISTER

Mand x

Old 09-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #14
KyleMcLovin

Ok, so i just recovered from this problem, and it hurt so bad, i just want to post this so people dont make the same mistake as me. i just recommend to NOT tr to massage it, to make it feel better, unless you no what you are doing. it made mine worse. oh and just use one pillow to sleep. :)

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)