RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Emmabob.

I am currently:
themeparks

does anyone know any decent theme parks/amusement parks/GOOD piers which are near to the coast, which aren't overpriced but have decent rides? not really wanting to pay over £30ish if we're booking online. the boyfriend is wanting to go to a themepark, i'm wanting to go somewhere where there's sand we've agreed on going somewhere which covers both but I cannot think of anywhere apart from blackpool which he pointblank refuses to go to.

**EDIT**

we're in yorkshire but travelling isn't an issue as long as we're not gonna be spending HOURS on trains, we don't drive so something close to stations would be ideal. not too bothered if its kinda iffy to get to, if anyone could recommend any hotels/b&bs close by :)

Last edited by Emmabob. : 06-07-2014 at 12:45 PM. Reason: adding
Emmabob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
Emmabob.

I am currently:

anyoneee? :)

Old 06-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
Wonderland.

Adventure Island - which is in Southend-on-Sea.

'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥

Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

^My first thought was Southend!

South Shields has beach and a little amusement park?
It used to be a dump (it is South Shields like!), but the website would suggest it's been done up! http://www.oceanbeach.co.uk/

I don't know how easy it is to get to from Yorkshire but probs not too far to get to Newcastle and I think the metro goes to South Shields.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Patent Pending
★ Katie ★

I am currently:

Blackpool Pleasure Beach :)

It's the ups and downs of living life this way. Promise me you'll never go away. Just stay with me through one more night because it's always darkest before the light and now I promise you I'll never turn away. I won't let you give us one less heart to break...

Patent Pending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
nowhereman

I am currently:

So this is probably no help to you but I feel like making all you the theme park lovers jealous. Cos I'm mean like that lol. So anyway, when in 1995 I was lucky enough to travel to England (just from Ireland) with the marching band I was a member of and we played in three different theme parks, and as a result got free passes for them all. Talk about every child's dream! It was so amazing. The parks we went to were Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Morecambe And South Port. So yeah, I'm just showing off now lol. Incidentally, I was in a nice little seaside town with carnival etc just three weeks ago and had a great time, but it was in Ireland, sorry about that.

Have fun anyway!

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:56 PM   #7
Aztec

Cleethorpes Has a theme park next to the beach. I remember driving past it on the way to haven.

Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
Emmabob.

I am currently:

is southend any good? I was having a look then lost interest when I realised its like 5hrs on train. haha.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
--------------------

I am currently:

Minus the sand, I can suggest Alton Towers. Good rides and you can find 2 for 1 vouchers either online or cereal boxes, and it isn't too far from Yorkshire either.

-------------------- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

I'm a big fan of Southend, but probably wouldn't travel 5 hours to get there!

Old 07-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #11
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

May be to close but what about going to Whitby and a day trip to flamingo land?

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #12
Animad

Cleethorpes in East Ridings of Yorks has Pleasure Island. I've not been to it for yrs and to be honest I wasn't a fan of it when I was younger but it's something. Scarborough is nice but hasn't really got that many rides. It has a helta skelta (or used to) and a couple of other things on the north bay and a small fair on the harbour side of the south bay. There also used to be a small fair up in some hills above/ to the side of peasholme park (sp). I know a lot of people used to rate Bridlington but I've only been once that I can remember and that was with 6th form looking at sand dunes so I don't know about the rest of it; ie the touristy places.

In terms of theme parks there is Flamingo Land near Malton North Yorks and there is also Light Water Valley in I think West Yorks though I don't know much about that one. And then Alton Towers, though not in Yorkshire, is near Stoke on Trent so depending what part of Yorkshire you're in that may be worth thinking about. I stayed in that part of the country for a couple of weeks on placement as a student and at the weekend I went to a place I think was called Trencham which had loads of monkeys roaming around pretty much free-range. Also, not a theme park, but I can recommend Yorkshire Wildlife Park. I need to get my socks up and go back there as I've not properly been for a couple of yrs (apart from the shops in the entrance which you can now get to free of charge and they're not just tacky gift shops) but though it's a small zoo with no rides, it is a really nice place which has expanded to an unimaginable level over the last 5yrs that it's been open and is a good day out. I once went and fed the African painted hunting dogs (I had more of a connection to the park than that) and threw the meat up in the air to get it into the enclosure which had I think 8' fences around it and I could only stand approx. 3' from it and misjudged it/ the meat slipped and it came down back down, hitting the keeper on the shoulder which would've hurt quite a lot. I was pretty apologetic about it and also embarrassed as loads of people were watching!

Animad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
Emmabob.

I am currently:

ta for the suggestions, ill have a look.

we're west yorkshire & it seems faster by public transport to get to alton towers than it does by car :S lol

Old 08-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Lightwater Valley is brilliant! A step below Flamingo Land thrill-wise, but still a cracking day out. We used to go as a family all the time :)

Old 08-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #15
chinahorse

I am currently:

'mingo land! Haven't been there since I was wee. #unhelpful comment

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

chinahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #16
chinahorse

I am currently:

lightwater also have quite a good website

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

chinahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #17
Animad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonliestGirl View Post
The North bay of Scarborough has lost the majority of the things that used to be there, also if you are referring to Mr Marvels that closed in 2002 and the kids play area thingy (believe it was called kinder land) closed a few years ago.
Also Luna Bay on the South Bay is more often closed than it is open.
I knew kinder island had shut. That's pretty sad. I've not been for yrs. My parents still go a few times a yr but they don't do that sort of thing.

Animad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #18
LionCondemned
Kat.

I am currently:

im going to alton towers tomorrow :)

I'm only Human.

LionCondemned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #19
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbwood8 View Post
If your willing to travel quite a bit Thorpe Park? There's like no real beaches but they have this tiny beach thing which is open during the summer. And anyway, why wouldn't you want to go to a theme park?! Haha
Thorpe Park is amazing =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent View Post
im going to alton towers tomorrow :)
Enjoy! I'm going for my birthday in September (it's very far away, so planning in advance!). Let us know what the queues are like? I love a good queue as much as the next British person, but not so enthused by queues that are several hours, so might consider getting some fasttracks!

Old 22-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #20
Emmabob.

I am currently:

apparently alton towers during september is fairly quiet apart from first coupleish of weeks with uni students. was having a look for going post op rather than pre op :)

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)