RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
ShyGirlEiana

I am currently:
Help with a paper?

So, normally I wouldn't do this, but I'm running out of time and have no other ideas.

I'm in a World Religions class and have two more papers to write - they are late, but the professor is working with me because of my depression. The class ended today, and I need to get them in as soon as possible! One requires visiting a Buddhist temple, which I plan to do tomorrow. I had planned to get my information for the second one there too, but I got an email from my professor asking about it, and I think he'd like it if I got it in today.

I need to interview someone who follows a religion we learned about in class, other than Christianity. So...if anyone here follows Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, or Buddhism, and wouldn't mind answering some questions about their personal beliefs, could you please let me know? I'll PM you the questions, and if you're not comfortable answering them, you don't have to - I'll just find someone else.

I hate to do this, but, sad to say, I just don't know anyone who follows any of those religions. And this is my best chance of finding someone!

Hope there aren't any rules against posting something like this, let me know if there is and I'll take it down.

To The Light My blog on "Mercy Ministries, mental illness, self-injury & other important topics."

ShyGirlEiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
ShyGirlEiana

I am currently:

Anyone? I'll put the questions up:

1. What are the basic beliefs of your religion?

2. How long have you followed this religion?

3. Why this religion as opposed to another?

4. How does your religion affect your daily life?

5. How often do you come to your place of worship?

6. Are there different services/ceremonies you go to?

7. What would you say is the best lesson your religion teaches?

8. What in your scriptures or teachings has the most impact on you?

9. What is one thing you'd like people to know about your religion (clear up any misconceptions, etc.)?

10. What is the most important thing I should remember about your religion -- if I only remember one thing, what should it be?

You can PM me if you don't want to answer on the thread.

To The Light My blog on "Mercy Ministries, mental illness, self-injury & other important topics."

ShyGirlEiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
I.Heart.And
~Approachable and fit (apparently)~

I am currently:

I'm not religious, sorry.
(Not apologising for not being religious, but for not helping out)

I.Heart.And is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Sigma

I am currently:

sorry can't help - but how about phoning your local synagogue or mosque or temple? Not sure about the US, but in the UK there's a Board of Jewish deputies, a Muslim Council - I'm sure those sorts of organisations would be very happy to answer questions, probably the person answering would answer for themselves if that's what you need?

Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
hawker

The only serious religion (as opposed to religions im part of like discordianism) i follow is taoism, so with that in mind ill try answer your questions.

1. What are the basic beliefs of your religion?
A balance, harmony, good health and flowing life.

2. How long have you followed this religion?
Since i was 12 so 10 years....now i feel old thinking about it

3. Why this religion as opposed to another?
does not require a faith in a supreme being, instead it encourages self growth and aims not to lead but advise allowing the student to make their own choices. Always emphasising balance and harmony in ones life.

4. How does your religion affect your daily life?
I try to act in a way which is productive and also try to get a balance in my life, although i do understand i often seem to contradict this it is something i work on, i aim to live a peaceable life now. The tao guides me with a gentle hand that allows for me to learn instead of being told the lessons

5. How often do you come to your place of worship?
I live upon it. its the earth.

6. Are there different services/ceremonies you go to?
no. i practise chi kung wherever i please, often i practise it by the river were i feel calm. i also practise old practises like netti, the chinese philosophy is that the nasal passage is an extension of our lungs, it warms the air we breath and filter it. For that reason i often pass a warm salted water through the passages which clears an amazing amount of gunk out, since practising this i can honestly say i think its had a massive positive effect on my health.

7. What would you say is the best lesson your religion teaches?
There is no best, it does not teach you the lessons, it guides you and lets you learn your own lessons. Its guidance however can has different amounts of importance to each individual in each situation.

8. What in your scriptures or teachings has the most impact on you?
here are a few that have had me thinking recently:

The external world is fragile, and he who meddles with its natural way, risks causing damage to himself. He who tries to grasp it,
thereby loses it.

It is natural for things to change, sometimes being ahead, sometimes behind.

There are times when even breathing
may be difficult, whereas its natural state is easy.
Sometimes one is strong, and sometimes weak, sometimes healthy, and sometimes sick, sometimes is first, and at other times behind.

The sage does not try to change the world by force, for he knows that force results in force. He avoids extremes and excesses, and does not become complacent.

and:

The sea is the ruler of river and stream, because it rules from well beneath.

The teacher guides his students best, by allowing them to lead.

When the ruler is a sage, the people do not feel oppressed; they support the one who rules them well,
and never tire of him.

He who is non-competitive invites no competition.

and:

Though thirty spokes may form the wheel, it is the hole within the hub which gives the wheel utility.

It is not the clay the potter throws, which gives the pot its usefulness, but the space within the shape,
from which the pot is made.

Without a door, the room cannot be entered, and without windows it is dark.

Such is the utility of non-existence.

9. What is one thing you'd like people to know about your religion (clear up any misconceptions, etc.)?
there is no need

10. What is the most important thing I should remember about your religion -- if I only remember one thing, what should it be?
Follow the path of least resistance, do not make life harder than it already is for life is short.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)