RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 09-01-2019, 10:38 PM   #1
Sleepless123

I am currently:
Experiences of Laser Eye Surgery to Lower Eye Presssure and Prevent Further Loss Of Sight?

Hi

I haven’t posted for a while and I hope it’s still ok to post.

I’m not sure whether this post should go here or in Serious Discussion so feel free to move where best if necessary.

I’m registered severely visually impaired. At six months old I had Cataracts removed from both eyes. I have the eye condition Nystagmus.

Over the past few years the hospital have been concerned that my eye pressures have intermittently been high and that I may be developing another condition called Glaucoma.

They gave me eye drops which they said I would have to do twice a day for the rest of my life. I found it hard to get the drops fully in my eyes and also found it hard coming to terms with having to do them.

At the end of November they measured my eye pressures again and said they got readings of 24 and 36. This is apparently very high as normal eye pressure should be between 12 - 22.

The hospital have decided that I need to have laser eye surgery to try and bring the pressures down. It won’t improve my sight at all but they are trying to stop me losing more.

I am having laser surgery on my left eye on Monday and then they will put me back on the list to have my right eye done. They can’t do them both together. After the eye surgery has been done they say I will need to attend eye outpatients every couple of days for steroid injections to prevent the eye swelling.

They also say a couple of other things. The first is that each eye may require more than one laser session. The second is that they are going to start using a gentle laser but if my eye pressures don’t lower within the next few months or so they will have to use a stronger laser and they say if they have to use the stronger laser there is a high chance I will lose much of my remaining vision as a result (but they say untreated I will lose my sight anyway) so I have to hope the gentle laser works.

I know we aren’t allowed to ask medical advice on here. I’m just feeling really anxious and wondering if anyone has had similar treatment or laser surgery in general and wouldn’t mind sharing their experience?

Thanks.

i do not always manage to be around but i wish you all the very best - love and luck to you all!

Sleepless123 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)