RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-07-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:
Dont know what to title

Some of you who are on Facebook already know this but on the 25th of June I had my cat put to sleep. She more than likely had a tumour and she wasn't good. I made the fateful decision in order to stop her going downhill any more. She was 18 and I had her 11 years (though I met her in 2006 because I used to be an volunteer for the cat charity she came from). She outlived 2 companions. I was devastated by her loss and nearly SIed. I took loads of diazepam (not an OD though but within prescribed limits) for several days and drank every day.

Today I picked up her ashes. As I have my other 2 cats ashes it was important to have her back. I cried all the way back from the vet and unwrapping her (they put her casket in a box).

I feel so lost without her. She used to be able to tell when the voices were bad by becoming clingy. When I was bed bound because of the voices she wouldn't leave my side. I feel like throwing away over 8 years of being SI free. Either that or harming myself.

If you're going to say that "it's just a cat" or other BS then dont reply. I dont know how I am going to stop myself from harming myself. I have taken diazepam but Idk if that's enough. My heart just aches.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
MissGranger

I am currently:

Hi I just want you to know that you're not alone. I felt that way about my horse who I lost 6 years ago. She was everything to me and got me through so much and kept me alive basically. I also have lost a beloved cat and more recently a few weeks ago, my family dog who we've had since I was 13 (I'm now 25) so I grew up with her. I get very attached and I cry a lot just thinking about them even those I lost years ago which may sound silly to people but that's just how I am with animals. I just want to say I'm so so sorry for your loss. I hope you are able to stay strong. Your cat would want you to, I'm sure. Sending you hugs and I'm sorry if this isn't very helpful I just wanted you to feel less alone at least x also there is a pet bereavement service through the Blue Cross you can ring everyday if you need to talk to someone about it x

MissGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 10:17 PM   #3
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Thanks for your reply. My cpn came last week and I told her that I had been googling numbers of pet loss charities helpline numbers. I thought that I was doing ok until this afternoon. I have 2 other cats who are helping but they aren't providing any comfort. They are busy doing their own thing.

I guess that it's getting through tonight is the hardest thing.

Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic

Old 17-07-2019, 11:13 PM   #4
MissGranger

I am currently:

No worries at all. I'd recommend the Blue Cross Pet Bereavement Support Line maybe you could try giving them a call tomorrow? It's good you've got other pets too but I know it doesn't necessarily make it any easier.

I completely understand the grief and heart wrenching pain it causes when we lose a precious animal.

As for keeping safe do you think you can distract yourself for tonight? x

MissGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 11:59 PM   #5
not_so_insig

I am currently:

I am currently watching my favourite episode of Keeping Up Appearances. I am planning to go to bed soon though. I am trying to keep busy though.

Old 18-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #6
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Sounds like a good plan (watching Hyacinth I mean) I think you are coping incredibly well.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
Stellata

I can totally empathise. I was devastated when I had to allow my cat to go. For her it was from severe Diabetes. She'd lived with it for many years, then it deteriorated.
The pet bereavement support service were very helpful for me.

Take good care of yourself, grief is tough.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #8
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Thanks Buttons and Katie. I still haven't hurt myself but cried myself to sleep last night.

Old 18-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #9
tamobhuuta

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please stay safe.

tamobhuuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #10
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Thanks tamobhuuta.

Old 18-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #11
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I'm so sorry you've lost such an important part of your life. I can understand how painful it must be and how hard it must be to avoid hurting yourself. Well done for managing not to hurt yourself, I really hope you can keep it up because you deserve to still have all those amazing achievements that you've worked so hard for. Take things one day at a time and be gentle with yourself. If there are people you can talk to then reach out to them if needed. *hugs*

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #12
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Thanks Lindsay. She was such an important part of my life and for so long that it's a big shock. Even though I know that I made the right decision for her. I mean I could have been selfish and let her suffer but I took her to the vet asap even though they couldn't save her.

Old 19-07-2019, 01:08 AM   #13
Auror.
Camden

I just wanted to say that I can empathize. Pets are family members and losing one can be just as painful as losing a human family member. It sounds like you absolutely did the best thing you could for her well being. It is okay to feel things and it sounds like you are doing a great job to try to cope with those feelings as safely as you can. Thinking of you.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #14
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Thanks Camden.

I didn't take any diazepam yesterday. I haven't taken any so far. But I know I can take it if needed.

Old 19-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #15
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Do whatever safe things help, Dawn. You stopped her suffering so now please help yourself through your own suffering.

Old 20-07-2019, 11:58 AM   #16
nonperson

I am currently:

I'm sorry I haven't posted a comment in here sooner. I hope you're doing okay and that things are easing just a little?

I do totally understand where you're coming from having lost lots of animals myself. What we have to remember is that whenever we have a pet it is inevitable that they will die but what they give us before that is so so so much more important than what happens at the end. I know it feels like a big gaping hole in your life at the moment but you will get through it and I'm assuming you have done before.

When I've lost family pets and was living at home what really helped was to talk about it, to talk about the memories and silly moments that the pet gave us all and, although we all ended up in tears, it somehow helped. And those are the things you need to remember - all the years of great memories and kindess and companionship, because they are what really matter and you'll have those memories forever.

You're doing so well in coping with this!

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #17
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Thanks Lindsay and nonperson. It's come to the stage where I can talk about my cat without bursting into tears. I have yet to harm myself though.

I have a psych appointment on Thursday but it's with a new psych so Idk whether to mention it or not. Even if I did Idk what they would say other than keep on taking the diazepam. I am sleeping ok (well other than the tears sometimes) so I don't need something like zopiclone.

Old 21-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #18
nonperson

I am currently:

That's good you can talk about her now without crying. Do you think the urges to harm are lessening too? You've got through the worst part without doing it so I hope you can stay strong and carry on.

I think it's worth mentioning to your psych because it is obviously having a big effect on your mental health at the moment, even if they just say to carry on with the diazepam for a while.

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #19
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

You are doing great, keep going. If you feel like you can mention it to the psych and it seems important for you to mention it then please do. I think they would want to know what significant things are going on for you right now.

Old 22-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #20
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Thanks you two.

Nonperson I have less strong urges to harm myself. They're still there but I know that I wont act on them. The urge to get to ten years SI free is stronger than urge to cut myself atm.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)