Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 06-09-2014, 03:22 AM   #21
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Have you hear back yet?

Have you ever spoken to anyone about you're struggles with routine/plans/deviation? It sounds like that is exacerbating your issues with food.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:26 AM   #22
LittleCloud
LittleCloud

I am currently:

Sorry for replying so late Roughy. Sounds like despite all the roadblocks your ED sets you are doing amazingly. Hope everything goes ok with the medication. Have you ever thought that you might be struggling with obsessive compulsive disorder?
I have some similar problems with routine

So she lights up a candle for hope to be found
Captive and blind by the darkness around
Each wave a promise, a new hope reborn
Sunrise consoles at the break of dawn

Kamelot - A Sailorman's Hymn Lyrics

LittleCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #23
Roughy
Dan

I am currently:

Thanks for replies both

So doc says the psychiatrist has prescribed me "Venlafaxine", which is supposed to be given for Generalised Anxiety Disorder and social phobia as well as depression. I'm still a bit sceptical but can't do any harm to try.

I did mention the rituals I tend to have around food to my psychiatrist which I think is the reason he's prescribed me this. His words were "to relieve the anxiety you have around food issues". He's also contacted people who deal with cognitive behaviour therapy, which has a long waiting list but might be worth it.

Gained a bit of weight again this week! Was genuinely happy to see that I had, so that's a good sign.

Roughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #24
LittleCloud
LittleCloud

I am currently:

Roughy that's awesome- I'm glad you've gained some weight. I have medication to help with anxiety too- it does help with rituals around food a little for me (I take a different med) so I hope it does for you too. CBT can be really good for dealing with ritual behaviours- it's worth the wait, but hope it doesn't take too long

Old 07-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #25
Roughy
Dan

I am currently:

Thanks again for your kind words LittleCloud!

In hindsight I think I'm gonna need it honestly. Went back home for this weekend, thought I'd get the chance to relax and break off a bit from the daily routine.

Turns out it's been really quite unpleasant, and that there's no way I'm using this ED as a crutch or being a fraud in any way. I've been anxious the whole weekend, worrying about the food we've got in the house, timing my eating around that of my parents, and going for walks off on my own a lot just to calm myself.

It's had the opposite effect of what I intended, now I think my mum and dad are more worried about me than before. You can't tell them not to worry either! I've told them I've put on weight, but obviously they're still concerned about my emotional state.

Genuinely looking forward to leaving tomorrow and getting back to the comfort of complete independence in my routine. Feels like a bit of a knock.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:19 AM   #26
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Given the distress that deviating from your routines, both with food and others, causes you, it might well be worth going back to a strict meal plan and times and things that aren't going to cause you so much upset. It might also be worth talking to a doctor about everything that's been going on.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #27
LittleCloud
LittleCloud

I am currently:

I think what Sophia said sounds sensible. Can you go back to a meal plan and as you grow less anxious change things slowly?
Hope things are easier now you're back home

Old 09-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #28
Roughy
Dan

I am currently:

Thank you both, I feel like I really need my routine just now. Knowing exactly what I'm eating and when I'm going to eat it makes me much less anxious. If I know a day in advance if I'm going to a restaurant for example, it's fine and I can plan around it.

Glad to be back down south at uni again, trying to adjust my routine around my parents' wasn't going too well. I sometimes wish they didn't know about my ED as all it seems to do is frustrate and upset them.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #29
LittleCloud
LittleCloud

I am currently:

I understand that. Felt the same telling my partner and it's very unsettling. Glad you're back where you feel comfortable. It's ok to make changes slowly when you are ready

Old 28-09-2014, 03:51 AM   #30
washedoutdreamer
Lindsey

I am currently:

Learning how to be around people again when you're so used to being alone with your rituals is hard. But I've been on the med you mentioned and it helped me a lot. If you do decide to go off it ever make sure you let your doctor know because going off it suddenly causes a really bad rebound effect and you'll feel terrible if you don't do it right.
Try to remember that you aren't making them feel this way. It's really the situation and you are making progress which is awesome. Just keep working towards recovery and seek out all the resources you can.

Last edited by washedoutdreamer : 28-09-2014 at 03:57 AM.

Be Strong, Be Smart, Be Proud
Live Honorably and With Dignity
and Just Hold On....

washedoutdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #31
LittleCloud
LittleCloud

I am currently:

Hope you're ok Dan

Old 29-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #32
Roughy
Dan

I am currently:

Hello again! Thanks so much for thinking of me guys, really means a lot :)

So things have been going quite well, went home to see parents again this weekend and it went a lot better. I think being home more often means that neither of us feels under pressure to "make the most" of the visit, and we were just able to enjoy each other's company. I was also less stressed about work which helped.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the venlafaxine or not, but have been feeling generally happier the past week or so and weight/strength are on the rise. A few stumbles here and there, but generally forward!

Old 29-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #33
LittleCloud
LittleCloud

I am currently:

That's excellent Dan- well done to you!! Hope things continue on well for you. You've worked hard and deserve the positive results

Old 01-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #34
marimar

Hi, how have you been? Hope the therapy is going well. I read your posts this morning and it was as if i wrote them, exacly the same with the routine and anxiaty when it's distrubed but most importantly, the feeling that nothing is wrong as i manage to function normaly....
As you also notices, social life is suffering. It took me a while to realize all the things im missing because of my routine. Im not over it yet but it's getting better so just wanted to tell you it is possible to relax the restrain a bit so you can enjoy more.
All the luck with recovery xx

marimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #35
Roughy
Dan

I am currently:

Aw thanks to you both :)

I've been good thanks, things have been going well so I admit I've not to battle too much. As long as I'm allowed to have my routine, eat what I want when I want to etc, it's fine.

Social anxiety is still an issue and I worry a bit about the thought of going out, even though I tend to enjoy it when I do. Mood has been good, could be the venlafaxine but I imagine a lot has to do with feeling healthier.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #36
LittleCloud
LittleCloud

I am currently:

That's great Dan- and with your routine in place you can challenge those fears slowly and as you are able. Like you say, you might find that anxiety decreases as well as your mood being better with eating better. I'm happy for you

Old 02-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #37
marimar

Great news :) just keep in mind you need to challange yourself. I made a mistake and stuck to my routine for way too long. It is good to get you back on track with eating but I just change my not eating to contolling everything i ata. It was enough not to lose weight but i had to eat at a specific time and if i couldn't make it, that made me freik out. Its hard to have any kind of normal social life when you cant change your routine a bit.
What helped in the end is rationalization. So i know i have to have 3main meals and 3 snacks and approximately 5 hours between main meals so i try to stick to that but its ok if dinner is not at exacly 18:30 :) this appliea to excercises as well. 3 times a week but if i cant make it to the gym, go for a walk with that person you have to meet, dont say no to go to the gym.
Just wanted to share what worked for me to overcome the routine a bit :) keep going, seems you're doing great

marimar is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)