RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
ASkatersDream...

I am currently:
The reason you stopped cutting gone?

What do you do when the reason you stopped cutting has now gone?

I stopped cutting for a decent future.

I went for an interview at college today...

"we are not putting you on a level 3 due to your mental health problems you declared on your form"

oh and level 2 will cost you £1200

Thanks.

Oh people if you want a decent future never declare mental health problems.

Believe <3

ASkatersDream... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
MammaMia

Unless I'm mistaken, you shouldn't put down mental health unless you've been diagnosed with it? I didn't, but college are aware I have 'issues' and I'm on a level 3 course. Not sure they're allowed to do that.

I should have had to pay for my fees but as I was on jobseekers, I didn't have to..

Also you should be grateful you can receive an education when there are thousands across the world who can't have the chance.

Have left RYL.

MammaMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
ASkatersDream...

I am currently:

well sorry helen but right now i dont really care abut those in 3rd world countres and that that cant have an edcation I am literally stuck!

I stopped cutting for a better life and better future and now thats gone. ah well i should considder myself greatful hey!

Believe <3

ASkatersDream... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
Pops.
I'm just me.

I am currently:

Could you maybe speak to the college and discuss your options? Your better life and future hasn't gone just because of this. This can be sorted out. Good luck xxx

Pops. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
Papercut

I am currently:

To be fair i see both your points :/
Alll systems and most especially educational systems are corrupt now a days, sometimes it seems as though everything that they do is to protect themselves from having to deal with the bigger issues, and i sometimes wonder what the hell this world has come to :/
On the other hand, maybe they are just trying to do the right thing for you, prehaps their concern is because they know how stressful level 3 may be, i know it seems unfair, but maybe they do have a rational reason.
Have you tried discussing with them that your past no longer is an issue, and will not affect your present? What about trying to meet half way with them, maybe let them let you attempt the course you wish, and reassess the situation in a couple months to see how youre coping?
That'd show them up ;)

Muchlove x

Papercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 05:21 AM   #6
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

Can you apply at a different college and change what you put on your application?

Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.

effervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
MammaMia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkGlitteredFairy View Post
well sorry helen but right now i dont really care abut those in 3rd world countres and that that cant have an edcation I am literally stuck!

I stopped cutting for a better life and better future and now thats gone. ah well i should considder myself greatful hey!
There are other colleges to apply at. So you're not completely stuck or you can do distance learning courses. Your better life/future hasn't gone just because you couldn't get onto the level you wanted. Thinking so negatively won't help you one bit.

Have left RYL.

MammaMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
Marta

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkGlitteredFairy View Post

Well, college is not all your life. In general, if you stop cutting, you'll have a better future and you'll feel ok. There are still many reasons to stop, hundreds!!! Please think more positively!!!
There are many colleges, don't surrender

Marta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
Petite Souris

I am currently:

I agree with Marta, there are so many more reasons to stop cutting.

I don't know what to say about the collage situation, but it must feel so disappointing. I really hope it all works out.

x

Petite Souris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #10
whirlpools

I don't understand why they've done that?
Surely it's up to them to offer you the support (through learning support services) so that you can complete your education to the standard you desire like any non-disabled person.
Makes me wonder if they'd have said the same if you were a wheelchair user.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #11
Mrs Sam
Nothing Special

I am currently:

If they dont think you'd cope with a level 3 qualification then unfortunately they are within their rights to stop you taking a course. My MH has stopped me doing a lot in my life but there are always other ways. Could you maybe get a job for a few years till your more stable and then go back to college PT?

Or as the others have said try distance learning or another route? There is always another option when it comes to education and learning. Maybe talk to your local authority about options such as skills for life and earning while you learn etc.

Something Special.

Mrs Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #12
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I stand by the fact that I think it is ALWAYS the right thing to declare mental health difficulties. You don't have to have been diagnosed, disability is a self classification in these circumstances (as I repeatedly get told by university).

If the college think you cant cope with a level three qualification right now, then they are probably right. To start cutting again over this is just going to prove them right even more. And if you start cutting again, you wont be well enough to apply again next year.

If you disagree with their decision, then go and speak to them again. Get your doctor to write a letter saying you're well enough (if you are) or apply to another college.

But this isnt the end of the world. I tried to do my A levels twice, dropping out both times due to mental health/hospital. Then I tried an access course and lasted two weeks because of severe anxiety. Now, finally, five/six years on from the first time I tried my A levels I have completed my second attempt at an access course and finally off to university (the second time of applying).

You'll get there when the time is right.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #13
Zedebee
It's okay not to be okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by control freak View Post

this isnt the end of the world.

The only time you will find real light is when you're searching in the dark..

Zedebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
TEAPARTY
please ignore me

I am currently:

As people are saying it isn't the end of the world, my college were extremely concerned that I wouldn't be well enough to take on all the courses I've applied for. But I would definitely appeal their decision, prejudice isn't going to help anyone and if you can point that out to them it'd help your case a lot.
It's not worth self-harming over, nothing is worth that and deep down you know it, but equally if you disagree with what they've decided tell them.
After all you meant well by declaring your illnesses and they shouldn't have let them alter their opinion of you.

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?" - Alice, Alice in Wonderland

TEAPARTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #15
offlineforever
Left RYL

I agree, with everyone on the college has done the right thing, mine wanted me to take time out after i od'd and i refused, it led to me od'ing again.

Also, telling people to NOT declare mental health problems is irresponsible, it is a legal requirement to do so, both to protect you and your college/employer, it is so that they can support you if things get tough.

And you have to pay for courses at college once you are over 19, usually there is a payment plan.

But as other people have said, if you have concerns, instead of moaning on here about it, GO AND SPEAK TO THE COLLEGE.

Left.

offlineforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #16
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

woahhh, chill dudes.

Like everyone's said, there's a load of reasons for stopping cutting, and if you managed to do it, then this mishap shouldn't set you back. For example, life without cutting removes the paranoia and planning for how to cover fresh wounds, encourages you to seek practical solutions to the problems that trigger you (as cutting doesn't help anything in the long run), and it makes you feel like a ninja because you've broken free. And you can wear a bracelet from the ryl shop :)

Again, repeating the above, they probably don't have a blanket policy that everyone who cuts themselves isn't allowed to do a level 3 course, I imagine they just considered your particular situation, and decided you weren't ready.

Control freak; congratulations on getting into university- I hope it goes really well. You should come join us on the uni student thread in General Support, we're awesome :D

Don't even know how I ended up on this board, I never post in here... *wanders off feeling slightly bewildered*

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 22-06-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: ceeb

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #17
dynamitekid1992
dynamite kid

I am currently:

chin up chick :) mind im just a text away if you ever need a chat about anything:) x

I will never let you fall
I'll stand up with you forever
I'll be there for you through it all
Even if saving you sends me to heaven

<3

dynamitekid1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #18
cweed

I am currently:

I know when I lost my main motivation for stopping, I first relapsed, and then realized that I was letting them take it away from me. Then I got angry and decided that I was going to get better for myself, so that no one could take it from me. It was hard, but worth it...I was able to stop for over a year (so far!) after that.

cweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #19
xMandarrx
Mandarr

I am currently:

I've had the same problem countless times, where my motivation for stopping disappears and I fall right back into the pattern of hurting myself all over again. Lose control all over again.
But two months ago, I decided enough was enough, and I got both my wrists tattooed, one saying "no lies," the other saying "just love". I'm not suggesting tattoos in any way, of course. It's just what helped me...when I want to cut I look at the tattoos. Like my boyfriend said yesterday, the ink hasn't faded so neither should my determination.

So I guess what I'm getting at is, what helped for me was really just a big promise I made to no one but myself. Not sure if that helps anyone else, but did/does for me. When I tried stopping for other people, it never lasted because I would always find ways in which other people had failed me.

you just don't have to be lonely, anymore.

neverendingmetamorphosis.blogspot.ca - my blog :)

xMandarrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)