Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 22-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
effervescence
tired

I am currently:
Dreadlocks

Anyone got them? Are they good/a hassle/worth it/not worth it/painful/hard to look after? Do they look ok when first done?

I'm considering getting them. My hair is fairly long but I've also been losing a lot lately so it's not as thick as it was - would that be an issue?

Discuss.

Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.

effervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

I dont but a few people on my course have them, only thing i would say is if you want them make sure its what you really want as when its done its awful hard to go back to normal hair.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Bleeding Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
monket
Carpe Noctem

I am currently:

My boy has them. They're not that hard to take care of, but you do have to wash them with special shampoo to avoid "dirty smelly hippie dreads", and re-dread the roots when your hair starts to grow.

Overall, pretty low-maintenance as a hairstyle, though. Let them hang, tie them up, or put them in a hat. Done.

monket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

I love dreads. I don't have them, but gosh, I love them.

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Emma1985

I am currently:

I use to have them few years ago, i had some synthetic hair in with them to get some colour. They can get heavy at times, if like me have long hair i use to get headaches. Plus depending how long you keep them in for if you want to get rid of them you were more than likely have to get them cut out. Have to say i loved mine, i had some purple in with them. You have to decide if you really want them and if you will feel good with them in. If they will make you feel good i say go for it :)

Emma1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
Dream Decending
Willow

I am currently:

I have ones that I braid into my hair so when I can have them or not have them. Although I've only finally got my hair long enough to put them back in as someone (who is mean horrible and smelly) shaved my head last year.

Feel the removal of desire and shame
It's the key to rebirth in a world slightly sane

Dream Decending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
MunchBox
I threw my pie for you.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White. View Post
I love dreads. I don't have them, but gosh, I love them.
This.=]

Sweetpea

MunchBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
Scaredy-cat
I am the very model of a modern major general

I am currently:

I want dreads. Thinking i might get them while im at uni. Along with various other non-parent sanctioned things like a tattoo and an eyebrow piercing. But dreads would be my fabourite.

He was no longer jean valjean but no. 24601 -les miserable

Some of life's mysteries will never be solved, such as why, after spending an entire evening listenong to Bach, do I find myself humming "the birdie song".......

I am reaching, but i fall, and the stars are black and cold, as i stare into the void of a world that cannot hold- les miserables

Scaredy-cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

I can't decide. On the one hand, they look awesome, and I hate my hair the way it is (boring). On the other hand, they are quite a commitment, and what if they look crap on me?!

so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.

Old 22-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

you could always maybe buy some synthetic clip/tie in ones first and see how you like it, you never you know you might start using them instead of getting it done.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Bleeding Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #11
Athiri
Perpetually Lost.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Angel View Post
you could always maybe buy some synthetic clip/tie in ones first and see how you like it, you never you know you might start using them instead of getting it done.
Yeah I would recommend getting some decent synthetic ones to plait into your own hair first. That way you'll know how you look with them but also the kind of hassles you might have to go through. I would warn you though they do take a serious toll on your hair, which doesn't matter if you're planning to just cut them off afterwards, but if you're currently losing hair they might not be the best idea; like someone said they can get pretty heavy and could pull on the roots a fair bit.

ʕᴥʔ

Athiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #12
a_seething_one
~*~Dawn~*~

I am currently:

well if u don't like them u could always just shave it o
ff! that is the only thing I have never done in my life to
my hair.

So your scars fade away/You soaked up the pain/A better person 'cause you lived through those days/And now you know what it's like to prove/You can overcome anything that gets to you/Well it's alright/We're sayin' our goodbyes/To the past and everything that ain't right/We won't waste another day/With all these silly things in our way-Crossfade

Light a candle for the sinners...Set the world on fire...

a_seething_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
a_seething_one
~*~Dawn~*~

I am currently:

oh man that looks messed up!

this thing is a peice of crap!

and the beauty of hair is that it grows back irregardless.

So your scars fade away/You soaked up the pain/A better person 'cause you lived through those days/And now you know what it's like to prove/You can overcome anything that gets to you/Well it's alright/We're sayin' our goodbyes/To the past and everything that ain't right/We won't waste another day/With all these silly things in our way-Crossfade

Light a candle for the sinners...Set the world on fire...

a_seething_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #14
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athiri View Post
Yeah I would recommend getting some decent synthetic ones to plait into your own hair first.
Do you know any websites I could find these on?

so must you know pain.

Old 23-03-2012, 03:31 AM   #15
Athiri
Perpetually Lost.

I am currently:

Depends which country you live in, but if you're in the UK I have an old friend who makes customs dreads at http://cherrybombdreads.webs.com
She's only doing the occasional order these days as she's busy planning her wedding, but you can always give her an email and she may oblige! I recommended her to another friend who was looking for some natural looking ones and she absolutely loves them! If you look in the gallery she's the seventh photo

ʕᴥʔ

Athiri is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)