Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 19-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #21
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asura View Post
I applied for a job years ago where multiple applicants were interviewed at the same time. I think there were 8 of us, including me. The last thing the interviewer asked was "You all think you're the best applicant for this position. What would you leave us with to make a lasting impression of yourself?"

Everyone went around, saying some trite line about how they're driven, or a hard worker, or they take initiative, etc. When it got to me, I pulled out my wallet and gave the interviewer a $20 bill without saying a word.

Guess who got the job. :D
Love it!

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

one_step_closer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #22
insidemyhead
time traveller

I am currently:

In a practice interview when I was in school a few years ago.. I hadn't slept in two days and wasn't particularly with it.. for some reason he asked me on my opinion of maslow's hierarchy of needs, despite me knowing quite a bit on the subject my mind wasn't working and all I wound up saying was 'I think its a very pretty triangle' needless to say when it came out of my mouth I was just about ready to headbutt the desk.

In another interview whilst off my medication and rather euphoric I was asked why I wanted to work in the kennels to which I replied like some sort of hippie 'The human-animal relationship is such a beautiful gift to which should be allowed flourish and grow, and throughout the years it hasn't, taking a more sinister, selfish form and I want to be part of the movement to bring the passion and love back to our long devoted four legged friends and show the world once more, that we are; after all, in it together' Needless to say I got a letter a month or so later that I didn't get the job lol, once stable again I rather hated the fact that I did this *facepalm* but my mum found it incredibly amusing.

“There is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night.”

insidemyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #23
HopeRises

Q"whatis teamwork/ what do you think of teamwork?"
A: "team work is dreamwork"

Managers seem to like that reply. It's got me jobs on a few occasions. I use lots of cliche lines like that in interviews haha.

Life can be beautiful if you let it.
Step back, breathe and take it in

HopeRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #24
Laura2.0

The only interview I had was strange.
I was really concerned that they would want to know what I did in the last half year (I spent 3 months IP) which I didn't want to tell them.
They didn't ask though because they didn't ger a chance.
The first question they asked was about my hobby and I was talking about most of the time, because I was so relieved that they didn't want to know things about my past.

You survived the abuse.
You're gonna survive the recovery.

- Olivia Benson

Laura, Ginger, Cassi, Luna, Joni, Lena

Laura2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #25
Aryce

These are the most amazing things I have ever heard. I would hire y'all for all the jobs ever.

Aryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #26
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuben View Post
They're not actually interested in the biscuit you choose nor the justification behind your choice, it's simply a deliberate attempt to catch the applicant off guard and put them on the spot. If they fail to regain composure and instead react with silence or confusion then it counts against them because it shows the applicant is slow to react to unpredictable situations or challenges.
well I still think it's an unfair question... I couldn't help but look for some secret hiden meaning, but maybe that because I analyse EVERYTHING lol. It's safe to say though that it definitely caught me off-guard lol

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #27
I Like Turtles
the-rainbow-man

It wasn't really for a job, but I got arrested, and the policeman asked me if I was straight, gay, or bi. I automatically turned to him, and said "why you wanna know, do you fancy me or something..." (he was really really hot!) and it turns out, it's just what they have to fill in on forms.

I Like Turtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #28
Rhuben
I call it dreaming... they call it madness.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow-light View Post
well I still think it's an unfair question... I couldn't help but look for some secret hiden meaning, but maybe that because I analyse EVERYTHING lol. It's safe to say though that it definitely caught me off-guard lol
The reason I know about it is because my dads company uses things like it all the time. They asked several applicants if the interviewing board was to turn into a hoard of zombies right now what implements in the office would the applicant use to make good their escape

Most applicants failed to respond with anything but confusion, yet one guy produced a hammer from his rucksack and stated he was always prepared because when there's no more room in hell the dead will walk the earth The guy with the hammer got the job.

When it comes to job interviews prepare for the unexpected one would say

Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money.
They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with.
Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The Dark Knight

Rhuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #29
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuben View Post
Most applicants failed to respond with anything but confusion, yet one guy produced a hammer from his rucksack and stated he was always prepared because when there's no more room in hell the dead will walk the earth The guy with the hammer got the job.
I hope he had a good (serious) reason for carrying a hammer around with him, because if he was searched by the police he'd have some questions to answer.

I've never been asked any awkward or weird or funny questions. Although I will say that I hate competency based interviews. All the rage nowadays, and the answers really have to tick every box.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #30
Leni

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainbow Man View Post
It wasn't really for a job, but I got arrested, and the policeman asked me if I was straight, gay, or bi. I automatically turned to him, and said "why you wanna know, do you fancy me or something..." (he was really really hot!) and it turns out, it's just what they have to fill in on forms.
Wow, is that really something they ask when you're arrested these days? What's it got to do with anything? I'd refuse to answer in that situation.

And the illusion of love is the only promise of defence, and even that will crumble.

Leni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #31
Left Phalange
Phillip, look at me, I'm a stamp!

I am currently:

The zombie thing is awesome, what a lad!

Uhm, I went to an interview for a salesperson role or..something to do with sales (I take great pride in knowing everything about the role I'm going for obviously) and the guy interviewing me gave me a pen (A broken one with no lid and very little ink) and told me to sell it to him.

I kind of sat there for a few minutes, pointed it at his face and went "Do you want a pen?" I wasn't sure if I had to pretend the pen was, like, a fountain pen or something or if I had to sell it as it was, so I kind of went "It has no lid, so it's cheaper."

I didn't get the job.

I'm gonna tap him like a maple tree. I'm gonna search him for some syrups. I'm gonna be having sex with him.

Left Phalange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #32
Keyboard Warrior

I am currently:

interview to study photography:

"who is your inspiration, or favourite photographer?"

"um... i don't really know. i like taking pictures of weird things like medical instruments"

got accepted. ???

Keyboard Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #33
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Phalange View Post
I kind of sat there for a few minutes, pointed it at his face and went "Do you want a pen?" I wasn't sure if I had to pretend the pen was, like, a fountain pen or something or if I had to sell it as it was, so I kind of went "It has no lid, so it's cheaper."
Y'know how people tend to type "lol" even if they're not laughing out loud?

I don't do that.

lol

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #34
I Like Turtles
the-rainbow-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leni View Post
Wow, is that really something they ask when you're arrested these days? What's it got to do with anything? I'd refuse to answer in that situation.

Surprisingly they have to ask it, in case you get offended by anything, or try to start chatting your way out. Stupid I know, but it's the same thing with medical records.

Old 21-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #35
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainbow Man View Post
Surprisingly they have to ask it, in case you get offended by anything, or try to start chatting your way out. Stupid I know, but it's the same thing with medical records.
I would have thought it was more to do with statistics and possibly equality information. If the police are worried about suspects "chatting their way out" then they've obviously lost faith in their procedures and the employees. I also think that you can decline to say, there should be some sort of "prefer not to say" option.

Last edited by The One Who : 21-03-2012 at 07:47 PM.
The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #36
Mrs Sam
Nothing Special

I am currently:

On the other side of it I once interviewed a kid for a science course and I asked him to tell us something sciency that he'd done and he spent ages telling me how he freezes live frogs then disects them. My colleague said "you do know sometimes they're just hibernating when frozen" and he replied with oh yeah that happened once and it thawed and hopped off!

On the other side our boss likes to ask awkward questions such as what side of the bed do you sleep on (he's religious and asks this to people to see if they share a bed!).

Something Special.

Mrs Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #37
Aztec

I went to an interview Monday, in which I was asked to settle the score on a debate the staff had been discussing all day...

''is a Jaffa cake a cake or a biscuit''

I said biscuit, because they're on the biscuit aisle at tesco and 'coz we keep them in the biscuit section of the cupboard at home :D

Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #38
monket
Carpe Noctem

I am currently:

I don't think I've ever said anything too weird in my own interviews. But I am the first interviewer people have to go through when applying at my work, and they tell me some funny stories.

Like yesterday, I asked a woman "How have you reacted in the past when your supervisor discussed job performance issues with you?"

And she answered, "I don't have any job performance problems, but once my manager asked me to get rid of my fake nails. She was sick of hearing people compliment me on them. SHE WAS JUST JEALOUS THAT I HAD BETTER NAILS THAN HER!"

Really, lady?

monket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #39
I Like Turtles
the-rainbow-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
I would have thought it was more to do with statistics and possibly equality information. If the police are worried about suspects "chatting their way out" then they've obviously lost faith in their procedures and the employees. I also think that you can decline to say, there should be some sort of "prefer not to say" option.

So like if anyone feels they are not getting treated fair or something.

Old 21-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #40
Mrs Sam
Nothing Special

I am currently:

I also once interviewed a woman who was a friend of a colleague who already worked there and they'd recently fallen out and she spent the whole time bitching about her and telling me how her family were stuck up etc, haha needless to say she didnt get the job.

Something Special.

Mrs Sam is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)