Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 31-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Ranger Fairy

I am currently:
Experiences of pain with tattoos (esp foot tattoos)

I'm thinking of having a tattoo on my foot and it think it's where I really want it, but have heard it's the most painful place to have one and it will be my first. I do have pretty high pain tolerance but I'm still worried that the pain will so bad I can't have it finished.

What are people's experiences of having tattoos done, how manageable the pain was and particularly anyone who's had one done on their foot.

Ranger Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst

I am currently:

I've never had my foot tattooed, but in my opinion tattoos aren't quite as painful as people make them out to be. They certainly hurt quite a bit, but it's not unbearable, and it only hurts as long as the needle is in contact with your skin. As soon as the needle goes away, so does the pain. It feels a bit like scratching sunburn. Try to look for ways to stay distracted. For example, you could bring a friend so you can chat to take your mind off the pain.

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

Agreed! I'm a complete wimp with pain, but I found it manageable, and have gone back for three more since my first one, so it can't have been that bad!

Like Conor said, it's literally only painful whilst the needle is on your skin, so is over really quickly.

My partner has had two tattoos on her feet, so will ask her to come and reply r.e. feet!

We’ll find a way to fight it, we always have.
It's not how tragically we suffer but how miraculously we live.

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

Feet! They hurt. But it's not unbearable. It only hurts when the needle is on the skin, and stops as soon as it's removed. So it's like pain in short bursts.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Fire Fly
Feel free to be yourself

I am currently:

My first tattoo was on my ankle. It was quite painful more so than my wrist but its bearable like others have said! Also I have a very low pain threshold and generally faint with any pain but I was fine with it on my ankle. I hear even the hardest most people with a high pain threshold have found underneath (the sole of your feet) to be awfully painful

Ballerina123 - My lovely superstar

Call me R -

The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time - Abraham Lincoln

Fire Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Shenanigans
Set up an IV of sanity

I am currently:

I've got a few tattoo's, none on my feet though. I do have tattoo's on my hand/palm and people told me that it would hurt but I found there was no difference between them and any of the others.
The best way I could explain the pain is like getting scratched by a cat for a bit. Once they stop tattooing, it's just sort of soreish/hot.
My tattooist told me that places that have more fat deposits (arms/thighs/stomach/etc) generally are a lot less painful than places where there is less (feet/hands/behind the ear) and I've found that going over bone hurts a lot more than anything else (the most painful bit of any tattoo I had was going over my rib cage.) But then again, it wasn't unbearable. Also, it depends on the size/design of the tattoo. I've always found line-work more painful than blocking in colour.
Have you found a tattooist yet? Get a good one and they'll be able to answer all of your questions and be able to help you decide exactly what you want where. Mine is amazing, and I've always been able to trust his advice :)

You see a mouse trap
I see free cheese
And a ****ing challenge

Shenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
iamatortoise
Delightfully Quirky

I am currently:

feet are more painful than some other places. they say feet, ribs ect are the worst. my shoulder didn't hurt at all. i barely noticed it was there.
my wrist hurt a little bit but it was ok.
try not to overthink it.
what do you want to get?

I will love myself despite the ease with which I lean toward the opposite.

iamatortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Mrs Sam
Nothing Special

I am currently:

I have one on my back and one on my foot and my foot definitely hurt a lot more but it was mostly bare able. I had to ask him to stop once just for a rest. Saying that mine is quite big and was lots of outline. The shading doesn't hurt as much. Would totally do it again though. Although foot tattoos do require more care so don't know if a tattooist would do one as your first I know some dont.

Something Special.

Mrs Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
Sans Peur

Ive got a tattoo on the top of my foot, it was rather painful compared to my tattoos on my back.Depending on placement it is important that you dont wear shoes that cover it. I had to get parts of my tattoo redone due to wearing trainers and socks which damaged it during the healing process.

Sans Peur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
when.will.it.end
{Katie}

I am currently:

I've got a tattoo on the inside of my foot and it did hurt to get done but wasn't too bad and I have quite a low tolerance of pain, I reckon you'll be able to handle it fine.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world;
its the only thing that ever does.

when.will.it.end is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
Nora

No foot tattoo.
Pain is dif from person to person. I have 3 tats (back of neck, lower back & ribs) I was scared of what I would feel on the ribs, as ppl always said it hurts over bone... But it was more than tolerable, I barely felt pain over there... My issue came when the design got closer to my waist, somehow, the fat did not help and it was somewhat painful. (But I managed to sit through 2.5 hrs and my tat was completely done & colored! - and I absolutely love it!)

Nora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
akita

I am currently:

I have a tattoo just under my ankle and yeah it hurt for about a day but after that it was fine. My advice to you is to not wear runners or boots, wear sandals or flip flops.

akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
Ranger Fairy

I am currently:

Thank you for all the replies, it's been really helpful.

Ranger Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I have 4 tats- 2 on wrist, one on arm and one on ankle.

I'm guessing since this is a self harm website that you've cut yourself before. A tattoo feels like lightly being cut in the same spot over and over. A kind of deep scratchy feeling.

It's painful but not unbearably so.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
[Luna]

I am currently:

I've have three tattoos and the foot one was very uncomfortable but not unbearable.

[Luna] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock holmes View Post
I have 4 tats- 2 on wrist, one on arm and one on ankle.

I'm guessing since this is a self harm website that you've cut yourself before. A tattoo feels like lightly being cut in the same spot over and over. A kind of deep scratchy feeling.

It's painful but not unbearably so.

This is exactly how I would describe it! Although I have a lot of color and shading on mine and the shading was very very painful for me. I think because it was such a big tattoo it initially didn't hurt but as it continued it got worse. Bearable though and worth it.

Mine is on my lower leg.

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #17
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-Snarf View Post
and I've found that going over bone hurts a lot more than anything else (the most painful bit of any tattoo I had was going over my rib cage.)
Holy crap yes. The guy who did the one on my hip actually dragged the skin over so he could use the bone as a 'pad' to draw on.

And the one on my back was find, until it went over the vertebra *ouchies*

Still had them both finished, one was big and the other quite small - so it's def bearable.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #18
Dragon Fly

I am currently:

I find it hurts most where it goes over bones. I have 2 tattoo's, 1 on my ankle and 1 on my left breast. Everybody always questions the breast one saying wow did that hurt but in comparison to my ankle it didn't because it's soft tissued skin where as my ankle sits closer to bone. It's not unbearable though and the end results is worth it :) My hubby has heaps and he says the most painful has been on the stomach/rib area.

Stay Strong

Dragon Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #19
nowhereman

I am currently:

Te one on my lower back was like going through hell. I just literally gritted my teeth and survived it though. Tbh I didn't even think of not getting it finished. The worst part more than the pain I think, was not being able to see how much is left to do. At least if you get it on your foot you can brace yourself for however much is left to be done. I have never felt as relieved in my life as when she said it was done! The others I got on my arms and wrist weren't half as bad. And I'm planning more.

A world without Light would be dark.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #20
nowhereman

I am currently:

I used bepahantimum too. Yeah the itching is soon annoying. And having to wear cling film for several days is annoying too.

A world without Light would be dark.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)