RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
Isoverity

I am currently:
Depression can be contagious, study claims

"Depression can be contagious, study claims"

The idea that your mood is affected by those you spend time with is probably not news to you.

But what if we told you that something as serious as depression -- a chemical imbalance in one's brain that can immobilize some -- can be triggered by being around others who exhibit depressive behaviours.

A recent study by psychological scientists Gerald Haeffel and Jennifer Hames from the University of Notre Dame suggests that university students who live together can pass on their depression, through a mental process known as "cognitive vulnerability."

“Our study demonstrates that cognitive vulnerability has the potential to wax and wane over time depending on the social context,” the researchers write in their paper.

Cognitive vulnerability -- a term used to describe a particular world view where people assume stressful life events are out of their control and occur because of their own deficiency -- is a significant risk factor for depression, the researchers say. Experiencing cognitive vulnerability makes individuals more likely to experience a depressive episode in the future, even if they have never had a depressive episode before.

The researchers hypothesized that cognitive vulnerability might be “contagious” during major life transitions, when our social environments are in flux.

To test their idea, they followed 103 randomly assigned roommate pairs, all of whom were in their first year of university.

"Freshmen are an ideal sample for testing the hypotheses because they are experiencing a major life transition that involves a significant change to their social environment, are at the peak age for developing depression and can be randomly assigned to a roommate," the researchers write.

The participants completed an online questionnaire that measured cognitive vulnerability and depressive symptoms at the one-, three- and six-month mark. They also recorded any stressful life events at the three- and six-month mark.

The results reveal that those who had a roommate with high levels of cognitive vulnerability were likely to “catch” their roommate’s cognitive style and also develop higher levels of cognitive vulnerability. The effects were evident at both the three-month and six-month mark.

“Our findings suggest that it may be possible to use an individual’s social environment as part of the intervention process [to treat depression],” the researchers write.

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/shin...145314903.html

Last edited by Isoverity : 24-04-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
Stellata

Rubbish.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Nailed it in one word, Katie :)

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Icecube. Swirls
Meera :-)

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellata View Post
Rubbish.
This ^

“The only way that we can live is if we grow. The only way we can grow is if we change. The only way we can change is if we learn. The only way we can learn is if we are exposed. And the only way that we are exposed is if we throw ourselves into the open.”

Icecube. Swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Isoverity

I am currently:

Keep in mind suicide contagion is assumed to work a bit the same way

Old 24-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Lone Star
Lone Star

I'll believe it when I see it....

Depression is not a byproduct of someone else, it's a byproduct of your environment.... but it's not like a cold. Usually, depression starts when someone is harmed.

Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I don't know.

I still stand by my belief that BPD is caused by a chemical imbalance (a few doctors and nurses also agree with this)

We are discovering new things all the time. It kind of goes back to the age old 'nature nurture' thing.

Post natal depression is caused purely by a chemical imbalance, and anyone can be affected, even if they haven't had any previous illness or trauma.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
Stellata

Post natal depression can also be from the mother's experience of early attachment and any loss.
Also, my Mum's PND related to my premature birth, all the trauma around that, and then not being able to hold me or anything.
Though I think you also include that, Beckie. :)

Old 24-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
CrazyLady17

I am currently:

That's exactly right, depression is all kind of things. I became depressed when my cousin passed away

CrazyLady17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
The One Who

I am currently:

I thought it was common knowledge that depression in one person can breed (for want of a better word) in others who have to live in close proximity? It's not 'catching' in a viral sense, but it is effecting the environment of those around the depressive person. I'm sure we all know that feeling of 'bringing someone down'. Living closely to someone with depression can also spark someone to think more about their own lives and what they may or may not take for granted.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
Stellata

Equally, living around super happy exuberant people can be draining! Feelings effect people, sure, but rarely to the extent of clinical depression unless there's something already in the person that predisposes them.
The world is never going to be free of depression. It's part of being human. These scientists need to start accepting that, I think.
Sure, try to avoid it, but it's never going to go away entirely.

Also, articles like this can lead to people who're enduring depression to isolate themselves more out of fear of infecting those around them, which never helps recovery in the slightest.. In my experience.

Old 24-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

My mum had PND with 3 out of 5 of us.

Not sure why!

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 24-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
I thought it was common knowledge that depression in one person can breed (for want of a better word) in others who have to live in close proximity? It's not 'catching' in a viral sense, but it is effecting the environment of those around the depressive person. I'm sure we all know that feeling of 'bringing someone down'. Living closely to someone with depression can also spark someone to think more about their own lives and what they may or may not take for granted.
So much this!

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
Isoverity

I am currently:

I just saw a video and thought of this topic

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZSfw45LsAI"]Baby's Hillarious Reaction to Daddy's Fake Cry - YouTube[/ame]

Old 27-04-2013, 03:48 AM   #15
beautiful_seclusion

I am currently:

I think this affects people more that are at risk for developing depression, not those that already have it in a disabling form. Or people trying to recover. Basically if you're already vulnerable but not completely ill, it makes sense that being around negativity can push you in the direction of depression if you're already kind of predisposed towards it from genetics, environment, or past history of it. I definitely know that I get more depressed if I read a lot of people on fb talking very darkly, and same for in person friends. Its like it redirects my brain towards seeing the negative side of things. But I'm usually already stressed or a little down, so it's just an extra push on top of other factors to redirect my mind toward negative and dark thinking.

And this isn't blaming the depressed person. It could just be useful to notice for people who might notice they are being affected by other people. I know if I notice I'm being brought down by people talking very dark and whatnot, I might not go on fb until I'm in a less impressionable place (as some times people being depressed has no negative effect on me if I'm doing very well), not go on forums like ryl, or do something positive and distracting like exercise. All this is is the basic concept of triggers, just from friends and over time, so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised at these findings.

So I absolutely believe this is possible, although the contagion analogy is silly and just a way for the media to sensationalize. Its more accurate to categorize it as an environmental trigger. Other people are a part of your environment, and anything in your environment can affect you and possibly push you towards one type of thinking or the other. Your brain can look at the same thing in many ways, and both chemistry and environment dictate what way your brain takes. But that doesn't mean we can blame other people or other environmental factors for how we think. If you notice something like this occurring, it's your responsibility to take care of yourself. So this isn't a blaming people with depression issues. But it's useful for everyone to notice that people can affect you so that you can do what you need to do to be healthy.

Stereotypes are the epitome of human laziness.
- me

beautiful_seclusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #16
Epiphany_Addict

I am currently:

http://www.nhs.uk//No-proof-found-depression-contagious.aspx

^This might be a useful link for people who are interested. It describes the relevant study in detail (which appears to have been predictably misreported in the press, or at least massively oversimplified).

Epiphany_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #17
Optimus Pirate
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I refer you to this thread

http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum...d.php?t=178591

(please not thread links is not intended for serious viewing, but is linked for comedic value)

More than a little fruity...

Optimus Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #18
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Ha! I remember that!
Genius!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 08-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #19
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

I think there is truth. As there are certain people my depression worse s arounds while others it lifts. My husband is completely opposite to me. Nothing much seems to bring him down. Anything can bring me down. With my husband though its easier to be less down. Then there a friend of mine that i find ot hard to be around. She suffers depression also and after a day with her i tend to feel more depressed and struggle to climb back to my normal state. My mood does change depending who i am with.

88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)