RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
akita

I am currently:
General Medical Question - Non Urgent - Not thirsty

For the past week or so, I haven't been thirsty. I have tried to drink cups of tea and water and mineral water but can't finish them. I'm also peeing a lot. I went to my doctor about it and all he said was that the peeing more than usual was due to having cold feet but he didn't say anything about me not drinking enough. I'm trying to finish what I drink but I just can't. Is it anything serious that I should go to another doctor with?

Thanks for reading

Andrea

Old 07-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Jetforce
Wound Care Advisor

I am currently:

It's always good to get a 2nd opinion if you ain't happy with the first opinion or you think there is something wrong there

Did you start new meds or something? Anything change within that period which might of caused u not to be thirsty? How is your urine colour? is it clear or rather darkish?

Old 08-08-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
akita

I am currently:

It's a bit darker than usual, not really dark yellow or green looking though. About a month ago I started taking some capsules for a research study I'm doing but the not being thirsty only started a week ago so it can't be them.

Last edited by akita : 08-08-2010 at 06:01 AM.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Animad

The colour of your urine does make it sound like it you are dehydrated. You say you're peeing more; is this just small amounts often? Is it painful? It's just I'm wondering if you have cystitis +/- a urinary tract infection.

You need to really make sure you drink more as if you don't this will cause problems with your kidneys and all I can really say right now is to force yourself to drink more, buy whatever you like to drink (that's none alcoholic) and just see how much you can drink of it. I'd also stay away from caffienated drinks especially anything highly caffienated such as Red Bull etc.

Other than the problems with not feeling thirsty, have you got any other signs?

I'd also say that I'd at least inform the company you're doing the drugs trial for as this could always be the cause, especially if it affects something like your kidneys. It may be that what you're taking isn't actually the actie drug and is nothing more than a placebo but you NEED to mention it to them. I'm not saying if it is then it's definately affecting your kidneys or even the centre in your brain which makes you drink more but this is a possibility.

I'd also say go back to your doctors and take a urine sample with you. First thing in the morning is always best but I'd get it to the doctors asap after (you don't necessarily need an appointment) as it can change if left for longer than a few hours, not even that long. And if not then put it in the fridge until you go but take a sample from that day. It doesn't matter what you put it from so long as it has been thoroughly cleaned out and iff possible not a pot that's had anything sugary in it beforehand.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:49 AM   #5
akita

I am currently:

It doesn't hurt when I pee but that doesn't mean it should be ruled out. I'll make another doctor appointment after I reply to this. It's not really small amounts but as much as having a really full bladder. I can drink milk with no problems but it's the water I'm having problems with. I'm seeing the research people on Wednesday so will mention it to them. A urine sample was taken at the last doctor visit and it came back negative. But I will do it again and take it there with me when I go.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Animad

Yeah, however often urine samples and bloods are taken doesn't always matter. All they show is a snap shot of how 'part' of your body is doing at that 1 period of time so taking another won't harm anything. The only thing they could do is refuse to test it again.

If you can drink milk then drink that. Maybe there's a psychological reason why you can't drink water. I know some people can't if they've ODd before, even if it was 10+ yrs before and drank water with it then they never want it again or can't stomach it because their body associates it with the OD. But there can be other reasons such as what I've mentioned above and your body just no longer being able to feel thirsty. But, as I've said, it does sound like you may be dehydrated and therefore do need to drink more, whatever this may be so long as it isn't heavily caffienated or alcoholic as these can be counter-productive.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:01 AM   #7
akita

I am currently:

It's not that water tastes like OD but that I just can't drink it, plain or with cordial. I'm able to drink milk more than any other liquid so I'll keep drinking that. Thanks for the advice Kim and I'm seeing a doctor next week.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
Animad

I'm not saying it tastes like an OD, just that psychologically some people find it difficult/ impossible to drink it as they have drank it before when taking an OD; that goes with any other drink too. Can you drink any of the sports drinks? I think that, given that it sounds like you're dehydrated, trying to drink an isotonic sports drink such as lucozade sport/ gastorade/ powerade could also really help you. I'm just worried as if you keep not drinking much then it will damage your kidneys. Really an isotonic drink or water would be best and so if you could try and drink them (and if it's a case of forcing it down then that may be what is needed) then it could really help you. But yep, milk is around 90%water anyway so if you can drink that then it'll really help.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
akita

I am currently:

I'm going out this morning so will get some hydralyte while I'm out.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)