RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 14-05-2019, 04:07 AM   #1
Carson18yo

I am currently:
Did I miss out on high school?

I am an 18-year-old, turning 19 in August. My parents would never enroll me in high school, and this is the first year I’ll be old enough to enroll myself.

Here it is legal to attend high school until the age of 21, and I have the opportunity to jump right to senior year if I pass a few tests I’m pretty comfortable with taking.

I’ll have the opportunity to take AP and IB classes, as well as join clubs and make friends which I have missed out on for so long. I hate to sound “whiney”, but I’ve been really depressed for a while. Everyone told me how great being a teenager was going to be, and it’s sucked for a number of reasons I won’t go into completely in this post. I have no friends, though most people don’t believe that, and it gets really lonely at home. I know of one other boy at the school that, in his senior year, will turn 19 in late January, but I’ll still be several months older than him. Am I too old for school?

I know the GED is an option, but I know some relatives that took that path and didn’t have any luck with it, and I’m looking to study physics, and a GED doesn’t get you into any of the colleges or universities with good physics programs.

They have plenty of kids with IB degrees, AP tests, real diplomas, etc. And, with the GED, I’ll miss out on an opportunity to make some of the high school memories I had looked forward too and missed out on (clubs, prom, etc.).

I should be graduating this year, though. Am I too old? Do you think people will look down on me? Can I make up for some of what I missed? What would you do? Thanks in advance I really, truly appreciate your advice.

Carson18yo is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 15-05-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
Zurg
Evil Emperor

I am currently:

I just came to say that someone gave me a really great piece of advice a short while ago. That was to be mindful of strong feelings. If there is someting you really want to do and if it feels right for you to do it and wrong not to do it then you should go with your feeling of wanting to make it possible.

Good luck!!!!

Zurg is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)