Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 11-04-2019, 12:13 AM   #1
MissGranger

I am currently:
Flashbacks

Hi I hope it's okay to post here. I've been suffering a lot with flashbacks for a while now and more recently it's got worse. I feel silly because of what they're about and I don't know if anyone would understand. I'm also frustrated as I'm desperately trying to move forward but I can't help me relive the past through the flashbacks and it's really hard to cope with. I find it so distressing.

Any support/advice would be really appreciated. Thank you

Joanna

MissGranger is online now   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 11-04-2019, 03:03 AM   #2
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

If you look at the abuse forum there's a sticky with a list of useful threads. One is titled dealing with flashbacks. Maybe going through it will help you. Link is below.

http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum...ad.php?t=77244

When I am having a flashback and am at home I sit on the bed cuddling a teddy bear. I also take prn afterwards. There's nothing I can do but ride it out. I tend to panic though if I am out and about though.

I am leaving gentle hugs if wanted because I know how debilitating they are. Mine are sa related so I talk through it with my friend who has also been SA but it's not an option available for everyone.

Have you ever sought professional help for the reason behind the flashbacks?

Last edited by not_so_insig : 11-04-2019 at 03:10 AM.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

Please do not pm me without permission as I find getting PMs very stressful.

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:39 PM   #3
MissGranger

I am currently:

Hi thanks so much for your reply and for the link. I've been reading through the stuff and I'll try my best to put it into practice. It all makes perfect sense though and I can see how it could be helpful so thank you.

Yeah I've been using PRN too, usually at night when it's usually worse.

Thanks for the hugs and for understanding! So sorry to hear you've been through SA. I can't help but feel guilty for having flashbacks like I don't have good enough reason to have them etc. A lot of them are related to the way I've been treated at times when I've been an IP in terms of restraint and stuff and the things that have been said to me by professionals. Also of suicide attempts. I just want to move forward with my life and I can't because of the past.

I've not sought professional help because I'm scared people won't understand and people may just defend the NHS. I feel really pathetic.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:13 AM   #4
not_so_insig

I am currently:

I am glad that you found it helpful. I can understand that you dont want to seek help as there's more help for people who are SA than trauma caused by bad mh if that makes sense. My cmht is in the old IP unit and I hate going there because it sets off flashbacks. I tried explaining it to my ex cpn but she went "well you weren't sectioned so you have nothing to complain about ".

I wish I had more to say but you are not alone. Sometimes knowing that I am not alone even if I don't go into specific details of the flashbacks is helpful hence me talking to my friend. She has mh difficulties too and takes tablets for her mh. I have another friend who has mh condition so understands what it's like to be in a IP setting.

Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic

Old 13-04-2019, 12:01 AM   #5
MissGranger

I am currently:

Thanks so much for understanding. I'm sorry to hear about your flashbacks too. That's not a very helpful response from your old CPN.

I also think about all the times I were sectioned especially sectioned by the police. I get paranoid now about police/police cars following me and stuff.

Thanks it helps to know I'm not alone although I am sorry you struggle too.

My support worker has suggested I write a letter when I experience a flashback and give it to them to read and then we go and dispose of it like burn it or something. I think that could help maybe.

Old 13-04-2019, 01:46 AM   #6
not_so_insig

I am currently:

I hope that it's a useful suggestion from your support worker. I would do it but I suffer from dissociation so I dont want it to trigger it off.

Re my cpn. She said a lot of useless things so I was glad to get rid of her. I have better care now though.

Last edited by not_so_insig : 13-04-2019 at 02:41 AM.

Old 13-04-2019, 10:49 PM   #7
MissGranger

I am currently:

I'm sorry to hear you're CPN said a lot of unhelpful things. Unfortunately I've had a lot of experiences with mh professionals where they've been unhelpful too.

Thanks I hope the suggestion from my support worker helps too. I wish I could afford private counselling.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)