RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 26-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
antiquexcrhoma

I am currently:
Telling

I feel like I need to tell a teacher about my little.... habit or whatever you want to call it.
I want to tell an adult, but not my parents. Through my entire childhood, my family has never been an active support. Just there as the 'Comedic relief' the most emotional thing I talked to them about ever was probably the movie Titanic.
I need to tell an adult, it has gotten really bad recently, and I want it gone. It's like the monster under your bed, you know?
I don't know how though...

"How can a bird that is born for joy, sit in a cage and sing?" -
William Blake

antiquexcrhoma is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 26-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
Laurakins

I am currently:

Hey,
I know what you mean about not being able to talk to your family because you just don't talk about serious things with them. I also felt like I couldn't tell my parents as the first people about my self harm. I told one of my teachers who I trusted. The day before, I asked him if we could talk the next morning. I was very nervous and couldn't actually get the words out of my mouth so I wrote down that I cut myself on a sticky note and handed it to him. Maybe you could do something like that.

The first step is wanting to get help, I'm so proud of you for even considering telling someone! Good for you! *hugs* If you need anything feel free to send me a pm

They tell me I'm killing myself. I tell them, I'm keeping myself alive.

Laurakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #3
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it

I am currently:

how are you doing? the first thing to decide, i think, is who you want to tell... do you have any ideas?

this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.

PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie

PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
crazykat
Fight for another day

Telling someone about your self harm is a difficult but really brave thing to do. Do you have someone specific that you wanted to tell? Also it is important that before coming out to someone about your self-harm you understand your reasons for wanting to tell them. As for the actual conversation, let them know that you have something important to tell them. Then tell them what you feel most comfortable telling them. They may have some questions too but remember you only have to answer what you feel comfortable with. Here is a great article on telling someone that you may find helpful. Take care
Kat xxx

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
DontLookUp
Saffyx

I am currently:

Hey i understand where your coming from, i havent told my family, but rather someone who i thought could support you. Is there a specific teacher or adult you had in mind or a school counselor or GP. The best thing to do is to go to someone you trust and really feel like they can give you some help.
You could try just saying it out loud to them, or maybe writing it down. I've been to 2 counsellors, and so had to do it twice (somehow the second time was just as hard). The first time i practised saying it in a mirror and then they just asked questions and lead it from there and the second time i wrote it down. Have you thought anymore about it?

♥ .I'm going to fall like I don't need saving. ♥
...My smile's just the armour I built when I was alone...

There was some part of me that hurt so badly, that I wouldn't ever be able to forget it.
It faded but the memories could bring it back any second, keeping me in the moment.
It would never fully heal. I could never really be free. I could never really be fixed.
Now I just have to work out how to live whilst being broken.
I feel like I'm dying.

DontLookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
fragile83

I am currently:

Can I briefly say how my parents found out about my SH?

I was 16 - the year 1999 - I had managed to hide my first time SHing from my parents - but a few of my friends noticed during registration - to cut a long story short, I ended up in my head teachers office (after speaking to my PE teacher and head of year) and of course, my dad was called and he came in to school.

All I remember is not being let out of the head teachers office until I agreed to talk to a professional..... I soon came out of my silence and agreed - but I didn't mean it - but it got me out the room and on my way home with my dad....

I don't remember talking to my parents much about it afterwards.... And they won't know that 13 years later I still do it.... But that was how they knew - and I had nothing to be scared of.... They are your parents at the end of the day and love you no matter what. I'm sure they will support you, although you can appreciate it's a lot to take in.

Telling a teacher would be a good starting point if there's one you have in mind that you feel comfortable telling.

All the best with whatever you decide and we are here for you too.

fragile83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)