RYL Forums

View Poll Results: Would You End Horse Racing?
Yes 25 48.08%
No 27 51.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #81
Animad

1 thing I have to say is the PETA isn't accurate. In the UK at least they don't use drugs and the few that do don't get away with it. Vets working with race horses tell them not to race for a certain length of time after they use banned drugs and jockeys that race a horse within that time can get found out and banned. I believe the same is true of america. Some things PETA say are true but a lot of it is overexaggerate and I hate their methods of dealing with things.

I do like animals but I, unlike a lot of people I know, have a very realistic veiw of thier lives and how they are looked after. I know nothing is ever going to be perfect and I know and accept that at any time they are taken out of the wild it is unnatural. And in many cases, the 'wild' due to human overpopulation is no longer truely any longer.

I want racing banned but I would never try and force people to take my views. I don't like people using animals as a source of gambling which basically is what racing is. I've been around a big thoroughbred breeding yard, I was going to work there for 2 weeks but injured my knee a week beforehand and couldn't go. I also tried to get work experience at a racing college. I know someone that worked at one and I know there are goods and bads in ALL industries involving animals. I worked in a riding school for 7 years and hated how the animals did work there but knew they had to and I learn to ride there myself. I also go to a vet school where we train using some animals. Those animals have great lives. Yes they have to spend saome time being examined by vet students and being poked and prodded but that is life and a necessary thing.

I've gone away from the point here but all I'm trying to say is that EVERYONE whether they believe horse racing should be banned or not should be prepared to look at it from all points of view and not just seen to 'have a go' at other people and just seem to attack their views like has been seen in this thread. As I've said before, my problem is not really to do with the actual race but is to do with the industry as a whole and actually is not just to do with how the horses are treated but also to do with how the stable boys (/girls) and jockeys are treated there

Animad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #82
The One Who

I am currently:

Yes, and that's fine. But we don't know much, or even anything, about American racing so can only use UK examples. No one takes offence at you using American examples.

EDIT: That was directed at Raining.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #83
BrightStarShining
The Scars Inside And Out Will Never Go

I am currently:

That's terrible... The poor thing :(

This shouldn't happen... Especially to such young animals... An animal that young should not die!! Especially to a selfish f*cking human like that!! It makes me so angry to know that people can just sa "oh well, it was gunna die sometime anyway..." well, yes, but it didn't have to die at such a young age did it? Because of a selfish human, who was whipping it's horse so much that the horse literally snapped... that's awful, it makes me so sad to think that things like this are still happening..

I'd love to be a jockey, but if I EVER killed a horse, I couldn't live with myself, I'd have to kill myself.. And that's a strong thing to say, but I care deeply about these animals and I don't know how anyone could be so cruel as to do that.

Allie, I'll never forget you..
Love You Always.

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the things which you think you cannot do.

BrightStarShining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #84
howlie,
allons y

I am currently:

I havnt the energy to read the whole thread, but heres my thoughts on it.

Imnot entirely sure about the racing of fillies and colts myself, its a dodgy area, In terms of english racing i always chose not to watch the derby. But i think that interms of accients they are sad and regretable, but htey happen.

Would you end football if a player died?

And with each fatality more effrt is raised to prevent further ones. From what i have heard from a friend training to be a jockey they are carefully trained, he has been told if anything seems wrng to pull up or go slow, not to harm the horse. These horses are far too valubal to their owners and trainers to risk death jsut for a win.

And for anyone who worries about the whips i read anarticle years ago that theyre shock absorbing now so less painful.

Anyway, apologies if ive repeated whats allready been said i am lazy
howle x

you and i are going to have a love affair
and it won't work out but somewhere in the middle
god knows we tried

howlie, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #85
UnanimousAnonymous

I am currently:

Raining, the reason why people are taking offense is because you are writing in a very angry way when it is not us that are causing suffering to the horses.
You said in one post that because we dont think racing should be banned we are not animal lovers.
You are being very defensive where as we are just expressing our views.

Yes i dont agree with 2yr olds racing, we dont break our horses until they are 4/5yrs but it happens not just in racing but in many other places.

Its just like animal testing, i dont agree with that but it still goes on. I dont agree with many things but you just have to live with the fact that people will always do things that you do not agree with.

So yes, lets chill now?

Through the dark, a strand of light, the light continued to get bright, with it came the strength to fight (Gem)

UnanimousAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 10:55 AM   #86
raining
Time is fleeting, madness takes its toll

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raining View Post
, *if racing is regulated in the uk, fine *but we are allowed to discuss racing outside of the uk as well. I dont know how many times i have to say im talking about A M E R I C A N racing. Jeez
Im not debating against what people are saying about uk racing, so its not me who isnt listening to others because coming back and telling me they work in uk stables, their friends have horses etc isnt my point.
Its not just me that goes ott, people are implying im saying all horses are abused which i did not state once.

Ps telling me to stop being ott etc, no im not changing for you, if i was to have a handle on certain mental illnesses it would only be for me thank you, you have a free will and therefore dont have to read my posts.

.......................... ...........................
http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=187&dateline=12125054  70

raining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #87
The One Who

I am currently:

I don't think anyone has said that you have said all horses are abused. People are just pointing out that racing should not be ended because some horses are mistreated. People are just sharing their knowledge of horses and of the racing industry.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #88
UnanimousAnonymous

I am currently:

^^ Exactly.
i think i only asked you once to stop being OTT.
And its because you are being so rude that im pissed off with you.
Why do you have to be so rude? can you at least answer that? no one was being rude to you in the first place, just simply expressing their opinions yet you still replied in a very confrontational way.

Through the dark, a strand of light, the light continued to get bright, with it came the strength to fight (Gem)

UnanimousAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)