Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 31-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Sarika
Becca!

I am currently:
Triggering (Suicide) - "Everyone's ODing"...is there a pattern?

Recently a kid at my school took his life. In response to this, I quote from a friend, "everyone's overdosing". She's done it herself, and so have about 30-50 others (we're a school of 3,000). I've always heard that there's a greater risk of suicide at school when there's a completed one, but these non-lethal attempts strike me as odd. It's an incredible number of people, and from speaking to some of them, they aren't suicidal. It's basically, something to do? So, I'm not sure about this whole thing. Is this a somewhat normal response to a suicide? Some of the kids who are overdosing are talking about as if it's not big deal. Seriously, some even joke about what happened when they went to the hospital. I've never heard about this happening before, has anyone else?

Edit: Why it's bothering me so much is because a very good friend died from an overdose a little over a year ago. I'm a bit angry that people are taking this so lightly-overdosing that is. It's why I'm wondering if this is normal, I think it'd ease my feelings a bit.

Last edited by Sarika : 31-01-2008 at 10:51 PM.

Stay Safe Tonight

Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
butterfly hearts

I am currently:

That is really strange...
you know, i think sometimes these things DO happen, we just don't see them until they come to the forground?
But for people to be joking about it etc? that is really strange....hmmm.
Well, professionals always talk about 'copycat behaviour'. I think that it's no neccissarily people saying 'oh that looks fun'....but i know when i was younger i didn't ever think of doing some things. then when i head about others doing things it wasn't a matter of 'that seems cool' but more....'that's the escape i've been looking for', you know?

Kat xoxo

Melancholia is my mummy
Black Rose is my cupboard hiding in buddie
All I'm Living For owns me...i'm her pet frog
Aimee in Wonderland is my best-ever-man-girl-lover
Lozza is my lovely care bear
A plumeria tree

<3 <3

butterfly hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaTx View Post
Well, professionals always talk about 'copycat behaviour'.
i think that is exactly wat it is....

Some days are still hard but they make the good days seem all the better :)

88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
ghosts in the machine
coimeádaí rún

I am currently:

Joking might be some people's way of dealing with it - I know that people would think I was insanely strange if they talked to me about things like suicide, because if I'm going to refer to my own experiences of it I have to be smiling, joking, making it not seem so bad. And that's mostly for my benefit; the alternative would be to cry and cry and cry about it which is embarrasing.

That probably doesn't apply to all people, but it's a way of explaining some people's responses.

For those doubts that swirl all around us
For those lives that tear at the seams
We know… we’re not what we’ve seen

For this dance we’ll move with each other
There ain’t no other step than one foot
Right in front of the other

~ We're marching on... ~

ghosts in the machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #5
butterfly hearts

I am currently:

That's a good point.
I don't know if we'll ever really know!
Kat xoxo

Melancholia is my mummy
Black Rose is my cupboard hiding in buddie
All I'm Living For owns me...i'm her pet frog
Aimee in Wonderland is my best-ever-man-girl-lover
Lozza is my lovely care bear
A plumeria tree

<3 <3

butterfly hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:22 AM   #6
romancandle
And all you want is sleep/But all you get it pills

I am currently:

When you're in a school that size, it's hard to tell. Mental illness runs rampant in society, and of course schools aren't exempt. I can't say that this is the cause of what you're experiencing at your school, but there's not much to be done about it. I personally came from a small high school [around 600 or so students], and in my entire three years there, we had 8 completed suicides [10 accidental deaths, which are beside the point]], only one through overdose. It was frightening and out of the blue. To this day, I fail to understand it.

Personally, I think it is quite sad. Perhaps those kids weren't able to properly get the mental health treatment needed, perhaps they were afraid to. That's why I honestly think there should be some way about educating kids in school that they can get help and talk, shouldn't be ashamed of the way they feel, and shouldn't be alone in what they're going through. Perhaps this wouldn't happen so much? I don't know.

I feel it in my heart
the end will come
Come on...
My War

romancandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #7
butterfly525
-invictus-

I am currently:

The same thing is happening in my old high school right now. The school lost three either current or recently graduated students to suicide in the past year. And now like you said, "everyone's overdosing". I think the reason for most of the kids who have done it is that they have been secretly depressed and suicidal for a while and they were finally inspired to do something about it. It's a shame, but on the other hand, some good has come out of it for my town- it's becoming more acceptable to have mental health issues and talk about them, and also some kids are getting help without having to do something stupid first. Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience.

Laura

"I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love." ~Mother Theresa

butterfly525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
Yasminjayde

I am currently:

I dont understand , why are people joking about it ?
i agree that joking can be a better way of coping with things, its better to laugh than to cry.
but they shouldnt copy by ODing themselves...
maybe they are just attention seeking...
but thts just my opinion :D

Yasminjayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Sarika
Becca!

I am currently:

Hmm...my school is not exactly great for supporting kids with mental health issues. In fact, they don't even address this kid's suicide. It's all kept quiet, I think for fear of this exact thing happening. When they're been accidental deaths, there has always been memorials and massive phone-call chains to let people know-with this, nothing. My schools doesn't even talk about suicide prevention to students until their last year there. I've been advocating for the past year and a half to have a change in program, I've gotten nowhere. I can't entirely blame my school, there seems to be alot of students that are dealing with mental health issues-in fact (from personal observation) anxiety and depression rank the most common, followed close by bulimia. Our hospital isn't equipped to handel psychiatric problems. Having been to the ER for suicidal behavior before, they basiclly hold you for 8-10hours and send you home. They refer you to their o/p psychiatrists, that's it. And, if you are seeing a psychiatrist here, they have a standard 6-month window of when they work with you. They medicate you and expect to see your recover and get off your meds in 6 months (forget the fact that some meds take 6 months to work). If that fails then they want to put you in the hospital which is 1-2hours away w/out traffic.
So, I guess it could be a combination of things here: lack of support for those with mental health issues, a nearly-useless suicide prevention program, and this recent suicide which has acted a major trigger for some. A part of me can understand this, but I'm just I guess angry that it's happening. It's like the school is just waiting for it to "die down" (no pun intended).

Stay Safe Tonight

Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:54 AM   #10
butterfly525
-invictus-

I am currently:

Hmm well I'm sorry that your school is in that kind of situation. That's pretty much how mine was until the third suicide in a year, in December. Then they finally realized they couldn't ignore or cover up the problem anymore (the two earlier suicides were hushed up). I don't really know what to tell you, but I think it's great that you are trying to make things change at your school. I hope they change their policies sometime soon.

Laura

"I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love." ~Mother Theresa

butterfly525 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)