Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #81
offlineforever
Left RYL

Tbh, I can kind of see where you are coming from. But I am concerned about how black and white your opinions seem to be on this matter. I think sometimes it does help people and other times it doesn't.

Left.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #82
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Stellata: I'm glad someone does

Seen all the viewers it's getting?, popcorn machines broken i'm afraid.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #83
Stellata

I saw it through another mirror, as it were....

Yeah. And I just finished my bag of almonds, too! :P

Old 05-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #84
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Ytak: I try to see the grey area but it's part of me, sometimes there is not a lot of logic to my thinking I can admit that I get caught up on ideas.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #85
Sketchy

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpelt View Post
Stellata: I'm glad someone does

Seen all the viewers it's getting?, popcorn machines broken i'm afraid.
There is no need for the popcorn comments. People sometimes view, but then are not sure how to reply. I'm viewing, hoping I can help or contribute, but don't have the words. I view many a thread and want to reply but just can't seem to.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, you included. It doesn't hurt to hear other view points.

I really hope you are ok. Take care.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #86
Icecube. Swirls
Meera :-)

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White. View Post
I find this thread quite dangerous.

There are problems with being too reliant on psychiatry and medication, but equally there are problems in being so anti-psychiatrist and medication that you are willing to make such threads and potentially influence others beliefs. Instead, consider it each to their own.

There is no way you can make a sweeping statement such as 'the medications don't do anything but harm' even if this has been your experience, as medication affects everyone differently. Personally, medication has helped me to be functional and removed the severity of my emotions that were outside a normal, everyday continuum.

Furthermore, hundreds and probably thousands of studies are done into the effectiveness of medication and are shown to have successful results, so it simply isn't a personal opinion of mine.

I don't mind if you don't want to take medication, but please, don't sprout dangerous and unsubstantiated facts in a forum where people may be vulnerable to issues such as this.

If you have experienced issues with medications, psychiatrists or the mental health system you are welcome to talk to us about those.

This^

“The only way that we can live is if we grow. The only way we can grow is if we change. The only way we can change is if we learn. The only way we can learn is if we are exposed. And the only way that we are exposed is if we throw ourselves into the open.”

Old 05-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #87
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpelt View Post
Because psychiatrists do lie, if you don't believe what I say - not my problem. I posted "is anyone else anti psychiatry" not come and try and put me down or shut me up just for realising the truth - back off.
I was not trying to put you down, I just really dislike being told that I am wrong or blind to whatever-where-who. It feels like I'm being told that I am lesser than others because I believe one thing. It's all opinions, and I don't like being told I am a zombiee brainwashed by doctors just because I personally believe psychiatry can be helpful.

Last edited by Eccentrics : 05-05-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #88
Derpy
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

Darkpelt, I do agree with you that psychiatry can be extremely dangerous and damaging.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #89
Ktulu

Darkpelt, I kind of see where you're coming from. It must have been quite awful to have undergone psychiatric treatment from the age of 12 and I can understand why you would be angry or hurt by that. I'm not at all anti-psychiatry, but I suppose you could say that I maintain a healthy scepticism and here's why.

I first saw a psychiatrist for depression in my late teens. He tried four different antidepressants I think. Each one made me edgy, agitated and angry. After a couple of weeks on the last one, I tried to jump off the roof of the house in the middle of the night. When I saw him that week he proclaimed it to be very strange all together and he'd be sure to report it. I never went back to him, I didn't like his condescending manner or his prescribing methods.

Fast forward a few years and I become very depressed again. I resisted all psychiatric help due to my past experience. After a couple of weeks of not eating, washing or leaving the house, I was told that I could go to hospital, or I would be brought, so I went along. I was again put on antidepressants. Within a week the edgy anger had started. My doctor noticed it before I did and immediately took me off the drug. After a couple more weeks in hospital, she concluded that I was in fact bipolar and all the antidepressants I had taken were making me manic. She put me on lithium and the difference was remarkable. I trust this doctor because she's cautious, she is against polypharmacy unless absolutely necessary, she takes her time about things and listens to me. Completely the opposite of the first clown I saw.

So, the reason I say that I maintain a healthy scepticism about psychiatry is because I believe it can be dangerous in the wrong hands. It's a very specific skill learned over many years of training and doctors have a duty to their patients when prescribing drugs that can be dangerous in certain circumstances, but can also be the difference between life and death, or quality of life vs no quality of life in others. First do no harm and all that. If the first doctor I saw had done his job and not given out powerful drugs like sweeties, I may not have tried to jump off the roof, or crashed my car in a rage, or ended up thousands in debt or avoided psychiatric help when I badly needed it. But the second helped me to get my life back together and regain some semblance of normality that I didn't have for a long time.

I think it's good that you're questioning your treatment. But it's not always good to approach things with such black and white thinking. There's always a grey area. I think that the vast majority of doctors, psychiatrists or otherwise have their patients' best interests at heart. You're entitled to have your concerns listened to and addressed and I think it would be a great idea to have a chat with your CPN about your treatment and how you think they could best help you. He/she may be able to answer some of your questions and help allay your concerns.

Regarding your point about doctors getting paid to prescribe drugs or keep patients in hospital, I really don't think that's true. I'm pretty sure there would be a fairly significant ethical conflict with doctors being incentivised to prescribe certain drugs. They advertise to doctors the same way Danone advertise their yoghurts to us on the TV, with fancy ads in medical journals saying oh look at our amazing new drug, it's all new and shiny and helps patients ten times better than that old one blah blah blah but they don't pay them to prescribe it. I think it happens in the US but not in the UK or Ireland. And I'm not sure who would be benefitting financially by keeping patients in hospital, it's very expensive and is paid for by the taxpayer. Certainly here and I'm sure it's the same in the UK, hospitalisation is a last resort, mainly because it's so expensive.

Have a think about talking to someone you trust about these thoughts, even a friend or relative if you don't want to talk to your team just yet. Sometimes it's good to get someone else's perspective on things.

Anyway, sorry for the essay for anyone that managed to get this far!

Be kind - everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #90
TheColdOne

I am currently:

I see a lot of people are for psychiatry- it must of helped some people then

Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #91
Derpy

I am currently:

And some of us are against it. Totally.
If you say to a psych that you don't trust them and that you think all psychiatry is damaging/dangerous you get given a diagnosis of schizophrenia?!? Not that that's a bad thing, schizophrenia is just a bit of a sensitive subject for me (and no I don't have it)

Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #92
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Unfortunately he thought I was having paranoid delusions about him and raving conspiracy theories so yeah he thought I was schizophrenic. And yeah i'm against psychiatry but realise now it may help other people

Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #93
Derpy

I am currently:

:-/ let's just say I get flashbacks almost every time someone says schizophrenia or schizophrenic.
Almost everyone I've talked to outside this forum says psychiatrists, camhs, etc didn't help them and in some cases made them worse

Last edited by Derpy : 06-05-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 06-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #94
TheColdOne

I am currently:

I won't say it
Yep I agree there, I went on riots in hospitals against psychiatry and it has made me worse. I don't trust a word a psychiatrist says.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #95
Derpy

I am currently:

You're the first person on this forum I've found

Old 06-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #96
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Have you been against psychiatry for a while?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #97
Dash
Phoenix

I am currently:

This is a very interesting thread and topic. Unfortunately, my mind isn't particularly willing to gather together all my thoughts, so I'll try to bullet point them.

~Your strength and conviction of your thoughts and also your reasons for not sharing them with professionals reminds me completely of the years when I wouldn't accept any medication from anyone because my doctor would hide secret codes in the prescriptions to tell the pharmacist to put poison in them. That was eventually diagnosed as delusional thoughts, as were many of my other convictions (all of which were illogical, I had no particularly firm evidence for my beliefs, and where I was too scare to tell people about them for fear of them realising what I knew).

~Psychosis is an interesting area. When I did training (when I used to work in the MH field as a Peer Worker) we learnt a lot about psychosis and medication and yes, there is a place for it, but it's also important to look for what the meaning of the thoughts are. If these thoughts are paranoid/psychotic/delusion, or whatever, then looking at the meaning of them, the basic meaning may well be a lack of trust in the professionals you work with- from the sounds of it, that total lack of trust is justified and understandable. Would you agree that trusting these professionals is somewhat challenging for you?

~Again, I did training about Schizophrenia and there were some interesting facts about those on medication and off medication, and those who learnt to be with their thoughts and those who struggled- but bearing in mind those thoughts can present in different ways (voices, hallucinations, command issues, etc) I don't know how that fits in. I wonder if it might be worth looking up a lady called Eleanor Longden- she is someone with diagnosed Schizophrenia who is also a Psychiatrist- she had such a bad time when she was diagnosed that her aim was to get well and take on the psychiatric system. She gave us training and was amazing.

~I'm not anti psychiatry, but I am anti professional, in a lot of circumstances, predominantly due to being let down and hurt so much by them. So, in that sense, I can completely relate. I was also sectioned and had blood transfusions forced into my body as a part of my treatment and felt that was a horrific violation of my body and rights. When I was ill I hated them for it, and now I'm much better, the problems with it linger (a lot of fear and panic about not being in control) but I do also have a different perspective on what they did as that that I did at the time. I do, however, believe they could have handled it a different way than they did, but such is life.

~I also want to say it's commendable that you can see that it can help others, that's great :)

Old 06-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #98
Derpy

I am currently:

A long time now. I was reluctant to get involved with it for a very long time (since I was 10, 9 years, I've had a history of bullying, anxiety and maybe mild depression) but I've found out some pretty unpleasant stuff in the past year, so I'm totally against it now, I'm never letting them into my life

Old 06-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #99
Derpy

I am currently:

I'm both anti-psychiatry AND anti-professional

Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #100
TheColdOne

I am currently:

I tend to be suspicious of every professional, in my opinion they're all after something or they have a hidden motive/want me locked up etc. The way I was treated by psychiatry I will never forget but I can realise that they may be some doctors who are trying to change what is happening to patients these days (which was really hard for me to admit) I will not go near a psychiatrist though and will always be antipsychiatry

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)