Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 15-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Weddings.

I asked a question on Facebook: "what is the point of a wedding dress?" I didn't get a definitive answer, so if you could answer that for me, it would be helpful.

Also, as a related question, if you could design your ideal wedding, what would it be like? And do you agree with the concept of spending £20,000 on a wedding? Personally I think that's madness and if I had a wedding (which I hope I never will), I would go to the registry office dressed casually and we would sign the papers and get it over and done with. Our celebration would be spent at home watching sci-fi and eating pizza.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

I think the point of a wedding dress is so the lady feels like a princess on the special day.

As for spending something like £20.000, I think it's wayy too much to spend but then again I don't like spending lots of money.

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Delephynite
This member is currently not banned.

I am currently:

I think the point of a wedding dress is to make the bride feel special & that's more or less it. I'm not sure what the tradition orignally was.

£20,000 on a wedding is silly. I wouldn't spend that much as I'd rather put the money towards starting our lives together.

I'd totally have a bbq at my wedding rather than a full poncy sit down meal.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

Delephynite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
squirrelspit

I am currently:

if i ever get married i will spend as little as possible on the actual service and stuff and just have a massive party.

I dont understand why a couple pay for all their guests to eat. its like £20 a head ish. **** that, i would make them pay for their own dinner if they wanted a meal.

I think the whole over the top thing is because its meant to be something you only do once, and the pictures and stuff are what you show your kids, grandkids etc etc so you need to look your very best and all that.

Im sure theres a saying along the lines of 'you'll never look as good as you do on your wedding day'.

squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Oh ok. I thought wedding dresses are uncomfortable though?

I'd be interested to know where the wedding dress tradition originated from.

Sometimes I think the celebrations are over the top, but I can understand that some people love to party :/

What about a honeymoon? What would you like to do for that? Lol, I can imagine I'd take my husband trainspotting.

Last edited by Steel Maiden : 15-10-2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: repeated myself.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
GlitterTrashDoll
eZine Editor

I am currently:

I would like a very simple dress if I were ever to get married.

I don't agree with how much people spend on weddings, I'd spend as little as possible and just invite family and friends and just have a fun time rather than the serious side of things. It's a day to enjoy not a day for formalities.

DILLIGAF

"it’s when you’re acting selflessly, that you are at your bravest"
- Four.
CTFxC'er forever.

GlitterTrashDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
makedamnsure

I am currently:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_dress#section_3

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

makedamnsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
forever_lost

I am currently:

I think wearing really nice, expensive dresses for a wedding started because a long time ago when you got married it wasn't always because you were in love. A lot of people got married to because they had to in order to carry on the family name and to keep their businesses/farms going and stuff like that, so you wanted to look your best to represent your family and portray a good social status.
Now that people don't get married out of necessity as often, I think it has turned into another part of the celebration that their grown up and starting a new part of their life. People want to throw a big party and look great and have attention and see all the people they love and have a good time. The dress is just part of all that. It makes the day feel special, it makes you feel beautiful, and for a lot of girls, it's just fun to get to dress up so nice.
I do agree though, the price people spend on weddings sometimes is just crazy. It's almost a waste, especially since, around the time people get married they also usually start looking for a house and filling it up, and thinking about having kids. I think when I get married one day, I just want it to be nice, but not extravagant, and I won't plan it if I can't afford it.

Giving up doesn't always mean you're weak.
Sometimes it just means you're strong enough to let go.
"But it's the truth even if it didn't happen."

forever_lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
yourockmysocks

I can't see myself having a big wedding. All of that attention and family drama does not appeal. Given the choice I would probably elope.

yourockmysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
BridgesAndBalloons
A Thimblesworth of Milky Moon

I suppose the point of a dress would be because it's very common culturally to wear a wedding dress, and has been for a long time, some people view the white colour of a wedding dress as a symbol of virginity which I guess ties in with "no sex before marriage" religious and social views.

Personally, I guess I'd like something nice to wear for my wedding, perhaps a dress if/when it happens. I have actually been married, but I was rather mentally unwell and married someone I hardly knew wearing jeans, a t shirt and trainers, although I was mentally unwell and my judgment was totally off (obviously :P)

BridgesAndBalloons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

Just go dressed in pikachu onesie pajamas! Why not?
Dream wedding right there.

* That probably sounded really sarcastic but I assure you it wasn't! :( I love people who have obscurely themed weddings. I say right on! Mix up the traditions a little. I totally support people not spending stupid amounts on their wedding dress either, if they want to wear a dress. :) I don't see why the price should matter if you're happy with what you're wearing.

Eccentrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #12
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

I would have a simply country church wedding and then have a vintagey/odds and ends reception in my back garden!Im not into a colour theme so I would like bridesmaids in different coloured dresses, mismatched plates and glasses and would probably make a lot of the food myself!x

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
My spoken words.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #13
PainfulSecrets
To die would be an excellent adventure

I am currently:

I spent very little on my wedding and had a super small ceremony. It was just my parents and his parents and siblings (mine couldn't make it). My dress was about 80 dollars and he just wore a nice blue button down shirt that he had. The most we spent was on the rings. I was totally okay with this tiny small wedding, but a lot of my family and friends feel really left out and all sorts of stuff like I don't care about them and everything because they couldn't come to my wedding (I'm from PA and moved to CA and got married in CA so not many people could afford to fly out there.) so we are going to end up having a big ceremony thing when we come home for our families. The whole spending a billion dollars on a wedding is totally crazy tho, if you ask me. I wouldn't have traded my cheapo easy wedding for anything in the world.

PainfulSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
Cacoethes
¡Viva la Revolución!

I am currently:

I've always guessed it's to make the bride feel special.

Personally, I don't see the point in spending so much on a dress you can only really wear once.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #15
Isoverity

I am currently:

Getting married is a momentus change. A big ceremony can mark that line in life. I used to scoff at rituals but they have their place. That said, my fav wedding was a low key and casual affair. Then again I also enjoyed the parties after a couple funerals lol

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #16
Rodolphus
#Azkafam

I am currently:

I'd want a themed wedding and it just to be about having fun all day. I don't ever want a huge fancy wedding, I want myself and my wife (should I ever get married, of course) and our guests to look back and just think 'Gosh, that was so much fun, what an awesome day.' As for dresses and the such, I'd be happier getting married in a onesie or fancy dress; I don't like huge dresses and they're just not practical. My sister in law actually bled because her dress was that heavy on her hips :/

Honeymoon, I'm not fussed about it. Just a trip away somewhere I can see lots of culture and art.

To me, a wedding should be about the union of two people and a celebration of that, not out-doing other people and spending the most money.

Now I'll play your ghost as my ace, whenever I'm led astray.
But I am actually good, can't help it if we're tilted.
I'm in my right place, don't be a downer.

Rodolphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #17
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I wanna get married in a theater. And I'd want a dress I could wear again.

I imagine my wedding would be more bizarre than expensive.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
Isoverity

I am currently:

I'm sure your wedding pics would be quite good^

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #19
JDenning
I welcome the reaper

I am currently:

Well it seems like its just something to buy to feel more special, if the issue is with money, then why go for a wedding at all?

Take me away, I just want out from this self-imprisoned self-made Hell. Don't be surprsed, this is your mind coming to life by self-sacrifice. This tragedy of death will walk hand in hand with every thought of regret. Blame yourself for what you've become. The mind is a powerful thing set to self-destruct.
~I, Dementia - Whitechapel~

JDenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #20
makedamnsure

I am currently:

I used to think I didn't want to get married. But now I'm in a relationship I quite like the idea!

I'm a total tomboy so considered getting married on a farm in jeans and Wellies but I think - you know what, it's the one day in your life where everyone tells you can get made to look beautiful, so why not. I would like a dress, nothing crazy expensive, but a nice, simple but elegant dress.

For a honeymoon it would have to be somewhere we could take the dogs, so probably the Lake District or Scotland.

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

makedamnsure is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)