Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 03-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #41
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

You're welcome. Those are good distractions. Can you read while listening to music? I have some instrumentals on my MP3 player which are indispensable for facilitating reading while blocking the voices out.

I understand. When I was sectioned, for the first couple of days (when I was at my worst and refusing meds) I would lie on my bed and listen to the voices for hours.

Telling the doctor is a good idea. Antipsychotics sometimes take a while to kick in, but if you get extra support or some temporary medication to help you along, that could help. I am not a doctor though. Good luck.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #42
rara avis

I am currently:

I can read and listen to music yes. Multi-tasking is great for distracting from the voices.
It's great to be able to talk to someone that understands, but im not glad you experience it too.
I'm on TTD chlorpromazine as well now to help.

rara avis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #43
aloneintheworld
drifting away...

I am currently:

Glad to hear you're safe in hospital, and that they let you listen to music :) I hope you continue to get better!

Wanting to drift away...

1 day free of SI

My PM box is always open :)

aloneintheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #44
Steel Maiden

I'm glad they're treating you well there. Yep - multi-tasking does definitely help. I often find it hard to multi-task though....

Keep fighting those evil voices, don't lose hope!

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:05 AM   #45
rara avis

I am currently:

Thanks Oly.
Today is hard. I saw my Dr at 8:30am - much too early. I'm tired and the voices are the worst they've been in a week, it's making me really irritable. And of course making concentration in groups, or at all really difficult.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #46
Steel Maiden

I'm sorry to hear that the dr saw you so early. What did he say?

How long have you been on Seroquel for?

The voices are probably so bad because bad things happening have triggered them to get worse. I'm not trying to belittle your problems though. I hope that the voices get better soon.

You said you were on "take when needed" chlorpromazine...how many mg is that and does it help?

I hope that things improve for you soon and that the voices lessen.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #47
rara avis

I am currently:

It's Three Times Daily. 100mg in the morning, 2 and when I go to bed.. I currently don't have any PRNs, but at home I was given Ativan/lorazepam which helped. I think the chlorprom helps. I've been prescribed the seroquel at the current dose for about a month, but I've only been taking it regularly for 2 and a bit weeks I think, before that I was not taking some of my doses because of the voices telling me they were laced with something.
I am more stressed than usual at the moment.
Thanks Oly.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #48
Steel Maiden

You're welcome. I hope the meds will start kicking in soon (they usually take 2-6 weeks). But I cannot emphasise enough how important it is that you take your meds regularly. I am sorry to hear you're so stressed out. How is the group therapy programme going?

Old 07-07-2011, 02:57 AM   #49
rara avis

I am currently:

I hope so too. And yes it is definitely important to take them regularly.
The program is ok, though some of the other patients can be frustrating, three of them last week were all trying to convince the staff and their Dr's that they had bipolar because they had mood swings which was testing, I don't understand it. I feel isolated in a sense because I am the eldest and have very different issues. But it's ok, the majority of the staff are kind and helpful though I keep getting landed with the unhelpful nurse that I mentioned earlier.
I'm distracting myself constantly from the voices and getting really worn out. It's really exhausting, as you would know. I felt like screaming my lungs out last night they were getting to me so much.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #50
Steel Maiden

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling so much. I know what you mean about other patients irritating you, I have always had that in hospital (I always seem to get a stalker on the ward!).

It is terribly exhausting using constant distraction, but focus on the fact that this won't last, you will get better and you will feel better soon I hope.

Sorry if I'm not much help but I have to walk 5 miles to the hospital (its rush hour so I can't use public transport as it will be packed) for ward round and I'm very nervous.

I am always here if you need, and don't let the patients get to you. Hugs.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #51
rara avis

I am currently:

Hey Oly.
Thank you, always, for your posts and insights.
Stalkers? Oh dear!
5 miles? Oh my, and please don't apologize, there is no need, you have been and are a great support.

I was talking to my Dr today about the voices and she asked what had I been doing when they were distressing me, and I said I'd been distracting. My Dr said to challenge the voices before distracting, to say something to myself like 'I am hearing voices, they are not real and now I am going to distract myself' which sounded very logical and helpful.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #52
roiben
Insanity let loose

I am currently:

*hugs rara avis*

Glad to hear they are looking after you, rara. Do keep talking to the Drs.

Have to say I think 08:30 is far too early for a decent conversation with anyone. Do you think the appointment helped any?

Be gentle with yourself. Don't forget to rest adminst all the multi-tasking.

Roiben x

If the Human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we wouldn't.

Emerson Pugh

My blog:
http://roiben-losttime.blogspot.com

roiben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #53
Steel Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by rara avis View Post
Hey Oly.
Thank you, always, for your posts and insights.
Stalkers? Oh dear!
5 miles? Oh my, and please don't apologize, there is no need, you have been and are a great support.

I was talking to my Dr today about the voices and she asked what had I been doing when they were distressing me, and I said I'd been distracting. My Dr said to challenge the voices before distracting, to say something to myself like 'I am hearing voices, they are not real and now I am going to distract myself' which sounded very logical and helpful.
Hi. You're welcome. I walked the 5 miles to avoid rush hour on the Underground lol.

That is a sensible thing that your dr suggested. Is it helping?

How's the group programme going?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #54
rara avis

I am currently:

That's dedication, 5 miles of dedication!

I have only tried the challenging a few times, so I'm not so sure whether or not it helps, it's hard to remember to distract, let alone challenge when the voices are so consuming.

The group program is ok. It's very DBT focused, and i've done quite a lot of work on that type of stuff with my psychiatrist. My Dr says CBT styled therapy is more what I need. And as i mentioned a lot of the adolescents have very different issues to those that I have. I try to pick out little helpful bits here and there where applicable but I mostly sit there (trying to stay "with it") and listen. At the very very least it gets me out of my room.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #55
Steel Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by rara avis View Post
That's dedication, 5 miles of dedication!

I have only tried the challenging a few times, so I'm not so sure whether or not it helps, it's hard to remember to distract, let alone challenge when the voices are so consuming.

The group program is ok. It's very DBT focused, and i've done quite a lot of work on that type of stuff with my psychiatrist. My Dr says CBT styled therapy is more what I need. And as i mentioned a lot of the adolescents have very different issues to those that I have. I try to pick out little helpful bits here and there where applicable but I mostly sit there (trying to stay "with it") and listen. At the very very least it gets me out of my room.
Lol. Walking helps me calm down when it's not too busy. When there are too many people/Mindreaders about, I freak out and go home.

I am sorry to hear that it is so horrible for you, but keep trying. Do you talk to the voices? Because a friend advised me that when I see the Spies or hear voices, I should be as harsh as possible to Them and tell Them to f off and that They are worthless sh*t.

I'm glad the group program is ok. Keep up with it. Picking out the helpful bits is wise. I agree that getting out of your room is good (I stayed in my room for most of the day on the ward and it made me worse).

How are your mood and your energy levels?

Old 10-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #56
rara avis

I am currently:

Thanks Oly.

Not in a great frame of mind. They gave me some clonazepam, seroquel and chlorpromazine. The voices are telling me to... Do things... Dangerous purposeful things. So loud and demanding. I feel like I must

Old 10-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #57
rara avis

I am currently:

Roiben, thank you.
The session? I wasn't very awake, I'm not very clear on what we talked about actually.
I will continue to talk to my Dr.
And I shall try and rest too. Thank you

Old 11-07-2011, 03:19 AM   #58
rara avis

I am currently:

I can't work it out, something is really wrong, everyone looks wrong, distorted. Maybe it's me. The voices are ROARING at me, I can't make heads or tails. I'm not from this planet. I've been transported to another planet, everyone and everything is almost the same, but different, I can tell! I'm not an effing idiot! I don't understand what is happening. I'm not making eye contact, hardly talking, my voice feels small. Nothing feels right.

Had another session with my Dr. He declared that I was incapable of study or work. He wrote me up for three times daily clonazepam and some more chlorprom. Bloody meds.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:28 AM   #59
rara avis

I am currently:

The floor is wavering and the windows Re shimmering.
I'm finding it really difficult to think. I have to go back to group, but I don't think I can sit there. I'm hearing all these voices and I can't tell who is saying them and when I reply I wonder if I'm hearing things.
I just want to screAm

Old 11-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #60
Steel Maiden

I am so sorry to hear that things are so hard for you. How many weeks have you been on chlorpromazine and quetiapine for?

Are the group program and the hospital making you stressed? Because stress can trigger these things.

Keep taking the meds.

Sorry I'm not much help atm.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)